Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Distro/Marketing

Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Kostas Gogas
Basic Member

How many people decide what movie they will see before attending the theater?

I try to find any statistical data.
The percentage of people deciding the movie on the spot versus them attending a theater playing the movie they wanted to see.

Thanks for the help in advance
Kostas Gogas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 04-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Cryogenic
Basic Member

I don't think anyone goes to a theatre and says what do we want to watch. I am not about to drive to a theatre without going to see a specific movie.
Cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
mussonman
Basic Member

All of them
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
How many people decide what movie they will see before attending the theater?
Almost all the time.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

A trip to the movies is no longer an inexpensive outing for many people; they have to "invest" their money wisely. When I take the family it's easily over $100 by the time we're through with parking, the concession stand, etc. That's a big chunk for someone living paycheck to paycheck. (As you can tell, I've been in that position once or twice.)

And why do you think the studios advertise so hard? Many folks are just fine waiting for the DVD/OnDemand/Whatever these days. They'll only go to the movies for something "special" - by their own definition of special.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #6
moonshieldmedia
Basic Member

I worked at a movie theatre in Los angeles (happens to be the best selling movie theatre in the world) and I can tell you that there are still a lot of people who just show up not knowing what they want to watch yet.

Usually it's a date night sort of thing.

I would never do it though. I'm only willing to spend my time and money on something I REALLY want to see.
moonshieldmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Kostas Gogas
Basic Member

I wonder if people go for the cinema experience.

What moonshieldmedia said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshieldmedia View Post
I worked at a movie theatre in Los angeles (happens to be the best selling movie theatre in the world) and I can tell you that there are still a lot of people who just show up not knowing what they want to watch yet.

Usually it's a date night sort of thing.

I would never do it though. I'm only willing to spend my time and money on something I REALLY want to see.
I never thought about these moviegoers to be dates - I mostly thought about them being older people - it really makes sense to be dates.

But I think that if the theater moonshieldmedia worked at was the best selling of the world - well that fits my question too: because people may choose the particular cinema experience whatever it plays - because of the theater.

Just thinking.
Kostas Gogas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

I have three ways of going to the movies:

1. I really want to watch a movie: Deadpool (great film) and found it at an appropriate cinema
2. If I turn up at Leicester Square, there are a load of different cinemas so they'll be showing something.
3. Turn up at a specific cinema with my other half and go into the next movie that's showing irrespective of whether we want to see it. This has some extraordinarily mixed results but it's a great way of seeing stuff we wouldn't otherwise watch.
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
Scarecrow
Basic Member

I also worked at a movie theatre and I will agree that quite a few people show up and choose a movie on the spot. I would guess it is about 20%. They are either a loner or two people on a date. People also pick a movie on the spot when a) their first choice is sold out, b) they arrived late and missed too much, c) they're minors who got kicked out of an R movie.
For many, the movies are just a big attraction, they're looking for a thrilling experience in general or just need time to kill. I, personally only see movies that seem special.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote