Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Music

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Basic Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 113
Using a Ramones cover song

I have a cover my friend did of Blitzkrieg bop by the Ramones. Now this is a song from 1976 and the writers Tommy and Dee Dee Ramone are unfortunately dead (as are Johnny and Joey, RIP.) How would I even go about looking for permission to use the cover song? I know I don't have to worry about the rights to the recorded version b/c this is a cover so I mainly need to worry about who owns the rights to the lyrics/melody, even though the cover has a different style.

Do I seek the label out? I know this song has been covered numerous times as well. This is a short film of mine, narrative, it plays for about a minute and a half and I might use it at the end somewhere. I have no idea where to start....
driverrodeshotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
Posts: 17

Old 03-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Basic Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon
Posts: 628
Start with Harry Fox Agency.

There are a few copyright hurdles you have to clear. Your friend's cover needs to have copyright licensing just to be recorded at all. Plus, you're gonna have to have a sync license to put it in your film. And (note: I am not a copyright lawyer) there may be another level of licensing if you're putting this up on the Internet.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
IndieTalk Moderator
mlesemann's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lakewood, NJ
Posts: 1,869
What Acoustic Al said

Your life will be much simpler if you can come up with an original song to use instead; perhaps your friend can write something with a similar sound?
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Basic Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 113
thanks for the advice, appreciate it!
driverrodeshotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
Basic Member
mussonman's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: www.youtube.com/mussonman
Posts: 3,370
As for recording the song at all, your friend's cover would need something called A Mechanical License if you're interested in a partial answer to your licensing inquiries
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.