Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > On The Set

Old 01-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #31
harmonica44
Basic Member

Well the reason why I thought I might be the boom operator is because I have not been able to find many in my area, compared to the camera related jobs where their are more people. I don't have to be the boom operator, I am just wanting to be ready to take it on, just in case, so I don't have to do ADR again.
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #32
shortboy
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
Well the reason why I thought I might be the boom operator is because I have not been able to find many in my area, compared to the camera related jobs where their are more people. I don't have to be the boom operator, I am just wanting to be ready to take it on, just in case, so I don't have to do ADR again.
If the camera's stationary, especially during dialogue, there's nothing stopping you from booming yourself.
shortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #33
harmonica44
Basic Member

I could have a stationary camera, but one of the comments on my previous short film is that there was not enough camera movement, people were saying, and I wanted to improve in that area as well, if possible... If someone can shoot it that way, should I do it, or if I am not being able to see through the camera at the time, is best just to keep it still to be safe...

Last edited by harmonica44; 01-26-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #34
shortboy
Basic Member

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing. The only limitation is your own personal ability to pull it off.

If you're keen on adding movement then this is where a mic stand would come in handy. Is it professional? Depends on your definition, but it certainly gets the job done.
shortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #35
harmonica44
Basic Member

Well I tried the mic stand before, but the actor would drift on and off axis into it, so I feel I have to boom, and keep the mic moving with the actors mouth. If the actor moves only a few inches, the axis can be off, so maybe I should just keep the camera stationary perhaps.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #36
harmonica44
Basic Member

Well I am shopping for a boom pole, and still deciding on which one to get. When a pole goes over 12 feet, the price goes up a lot, compared to 12 feet and under. Do you think I would ever need a pole over 12 feet, is 12 feet plenty, for pretty wide shots?