Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 05-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakerJ View Post
make use of them in new and exciting ways.
Only way to do that is to break the rules.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #17
Utopia
Basic Member

Still dunno why nobody wanted to respond to my posting.

I thought it was quite intellectual, and deserved at least 12 responses back and forth about all y'alls misunderstandings about Art.
Utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #18
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
Still dunno why nobody wanted to respond to my posting.

I thought it was quite intellectual, and deserved at least 12 responses back and forth about all y'alls misunderstandings about Art.
Haha! That's my boy, playing peace-keeper, as always.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #19
Utopia
Basic Member

Hah!!

You know it!!!

So, Op, did you get your question answered?
Old 05-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
FilmmakerJ
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
So, Op, did you get your question answered?
(shrugs) Eh...
I don't think it's something we really can answer. I was more interested to see what sort of unusual, or alternative discourse would erupt from my thoughts on this independent example of a feature film, and it seems that has happened. And... I dunno, maybe it's just because I find it hard to take overly passionate people seriously, but while I am starting to see this whole situation from Cracker Funk's angle, it still seems like they are not able to look at things from mine, or to see it how I interpret the objective VS subjective, follow the rules VS break the rules" situation. They have apparently long held their beliefs on this issue, so there is likely no sense in carrying on an argument any further on the topic in this instance.

Also, to respond to your post, Utopia, I never thought the first Hunger Games was shot poorly or oddly. It never even occurred to me before--this issue you related to my comments about this Sherlock film. So I didn't really have anything to say in return. But I may notice the lack of establishing shots and claustrophobic camera work when I watch it next time. But again, I don't think either that film, nor this film intend to feel that way. Maybe the Hunger Games succeeds in instilling claustrophobia in some fashion because it's director is aware enough of filmmaking to make that happen, but we shall see. I would be more inclined to believe it was an intentional choice in HG than it would have been here.
FilmmakerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #21
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Okay, please don't refer to me as "they", haha.

You are correct to point out that I've held this opinion for a long time. And though anything is possible, I don't see myself changing my mind any time soon. Objectivity is a fallacy, most especially in art. Humans are not robots. We process the world emotionally, even just every-day situations like running errands are viewed through the eyeballs of a creature with moods and feelings.

Art is the ultimate extension of our feelings. Art is how we open our hearts to the world. That's what makes it so difficult. It's scary to literally allow the entire world to see what makes you tick. But that's the only way to make good art. It has to be personal, because if it isn't, then you really haven't said anything.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #22
FilmmakerJ
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
Okay, please don't refer to me as "they", haha.
I don't usually make a habit of checking what someone's gender is before speaking to them in a forum like this. And even when I have, many times no gender is given in certain profiles and forums. So I simply chose to split the difference and do the PC thing, which is use the term "they." I promise it was not an attempt to dehumanize you or some-such.
FilmmakerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #23
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakerJ View Post
I don't usually make a habit of checking what someone's gender is before speaking to them in a forum like this. And even when I have, many times no gender is given in certain profiles and forums. So I simply chose to split the difference and do the PC thing, which is use the term "they." I promise it was not an attempt to dehumanize you or some-such.
Hehe, well that was very considerate of you. I'm a dude, for future reference.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #24
Utopia
Basic Member

Hey FilmmakerJ, I gotcha!!!

Yeah - if you ever do get a chance and you want to binge on a Hunger Games marathon, please keep the lack of wide-angle establishment shots in mind when you watch the first one. In my opinion, from what I remember, and I commented on it to the buddies I was with (they are all in the movie industry, as am I), I mentioned that there was NO long shot or major establishment shot until they are on the train travelling to the major city, and even then it was for like half a second...

Anyways, just myself trying to be funny. My main pastime is to make other people laugh. I enjoy that!