business plan for first feature

would like an honest input.

Would you try to create a business plan to find funding for your first feature? Have done shorts and a few music videos along with a web series plot.

Just wondering and please honest input

The "PLAN" is to have enough money to do a very thorough preproduction; being able to pay all Dept. Heads/Keys and the lead and supporting actors, and at least expenses plus a token payment to everyone else; to rent excellent gear for as long as you need it (or as a part of the fee for the Dept. Heads/Keys - camera, lighting, production sound, etc); to not have to rush when on location (part of "thorough preproduction"); to have all necessary wardrobe, props, transportation, etc.; to take care of your cast and crew almost as if they were stars; to have a complete, thorough post done by professionals; to have plenty of funds for festivals and marketing. And to have a slush fund for emergencies.

This does not mean that it can't be done on the proverbial shoestring, but 99.9999% of indie filmmakers never think the project all the way through. You need to plan more thoroughly than a "Hollywood" production as you don't have the large budget to begin with and need to get the most out of what little budget you do have.

Patience, patience, patience, patience, patience, patience!!!!!!!!!!!! Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then double down and be more patient and do more preproduction.

A line producer can be a huge help here, as can a production accountant.

to be honest indiana is not a film friendly state. I dont believe there is no film incentives in the state of indiana
Will the planned production budget be enough to warrant consideration of state film incentives or that from an adjacent state?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsBznn8D13zOdHVZN2NOQnV4em5nbTZZU2M3eXg2RGc#gid=0

RMC_Midwest_Political_4.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsBznn8D13zOdHVZN2NOQnV4em5nbTZZU2M3eXg2RGc#gid=1
Code:
Wisconsin		$ 50,000	25%		WI	credit
Illinois		$100,000	30%	30%	IL	credit
Michigan		$100,000	27%	32%	MI	refund
Ohio			$300,000	25%	35%	OH	credit
Kentucky		$500,000	20%		KY	credit or rebate
Yep, Indianna isn't very film friendly, however, if the project's budget warrants the logistics hassle, filming in an adjacent state may provide tax benefits greater than the costs of travel & boarding.

Think your production budget will meet any of those qualifying minimums?

would like an honest input.

Would you try to create a business plan to find funding for your first feature? Have done shorts and a few music videos along with a web series plot.

Just wondering and please honest input

You MUST have a business plan to get funding, and, even if you had all the money, you must still have some plan, unless you just want to shoot, write checks, and forget about the consequences.

The leading authority on business plans for films is Louise Levison, author of "Filmmakers and Financing: Business Plans for Independents", and I highly recommend her book. I've met her once, and her advice was invaluable.

Thanks Mogul on the tip with the book. I didn't know it existed.

Any ideas where I can get my hands on an electronic version of it? Amazon's kindle version has some issue. Or am I stuck with trying to get my hands on a printed version for now?

Thanks in advance

Would you try to create a business plan to find funding for your first feature?

If you plan on funding via investors, people who expect their money back, then yes. Most people who would invest their money would like to have in writing some kind of exact plan as to how you intend to spend their money and what you will do to return on their investment along with bring them profit.

Right now, from your perspective, you're passionate, convinced you are invincible and that your movie will be a huge success. From their point of view, all they want to know is one thing - WHAT DO I GET FOR MY MONEY? Any smart investor, someone who has the extra money will consider the money gone, a loss from the start and that anything that comes back in the plus column. So what do they get for the money if they never see a nickel? Always think, as you should in the writing and directing when thinking about each and every character's motivation, how to answer the question in the investor's head "WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?"

Far more people lose their investments on the road paved with great intentions and deep passion than to scams. You are making a business proposal when you ask people for money, no matter how much you believe in yourself and your project.

Thanks Mogul on the tip with the book. I didn't know it existed.

Any ideas where I can get my hands on an electronic version of it? Amazon's kindle version has some issue. Or am I stuck with trying to get my hands on a printed version for now?

Thanks in advance

I don't know, Sweetie, but you can email her - she's very approachable, and the hour she spent with me was priceless.

Back