Buying my first camera

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say the forum looks very friendly first of all and I'm glad I can be here.

I'm looking to buy my first ever camera and I want it's primary use to be for film making. I obviously want the camera to be the best quality I can get with my money, but unfortunately that isn't a lot. I'm a student and 16 so I'm not the richest guy about. So I have about £300 to spend, maybe £400 ($456.95 - 609.26).

I'm mainly looking to shoot short films and documentaries. I will also be using the camera when I go to College and take Media.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Ben.

Hi Ben - at your price point, you will probably have to buy used
Here are a couple of options:

1. £405 used Canon 600D from Amazon UK Warehouse Deals would give you a good start, but this camera has a 12 minute continuous video recording limit, Canon 600Ds have a tendency towards a video artifact called moire - and their viewfinder and autofocus functions don't work in video mode .

Here is what this camera can do (Vimeo staff pick):

http://vimeo.com/57297653

2. A £349 used Panasonic GH1 might be a better option. It would have a 30 minute continuous recording limit, it resists moire, and its viewfinder and autofocus continue to work in video mode.

Here is what this camera can do (Vimeo staff pick):

http://vimeo.com/6510682

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

im not sure why you would need to record for more than 12 minutes per shot to be honest, and if you get magic lantern you can get it to record as soon as it reaches the limit, so its not really a limit...

i have the 600d and its great, I believe you may get a better deal at Digitalrev or Jessops (yes they are back)

im not sure why you would need to record for more than 12 minutes per shot to be honest, and if you get magic lantern you can get it to record as soon as it reaches the limit, so its not really a limit...
Yeah, that's such a bogus "limitation."
How may films do we watch where almost every cut is fractions of a second to maaaaaaybe a minute?
And how many shots last longer than... three minutes, tops? Practically none.

Mostly, all the practical cameras are going to record images in a compressed format, likely some combination of H.264 MPEG4 AVCHD.
So, getting all fancy with camera CMOS sensor sizes and recording times is about moot, not absolutely, but about.

Anything with manual controls is fine.

Story is overwhelmingly the weakest aspect of most rookie nube filmmaking.

"Problem is on the other side of the lens, director!" :lol:

Last edited:
GoPro

GoPro is a brand for sport camera's,

it is expensive, but you can use it with all kind of mounts, I have one and it works really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KFkeDhD53Q

This is a link about the quality, and slowmotion of it. It can film at 4K and of course also 1080p 720p and a lot of other different qualities. I can also timelapse and film in slowmotion.

Another cool feature is that it can film underwater (waterproof).

the site is www.gopro.com

I hope you thought this was usefull.

TheAwesomeBuilder

im not sure why you would need to record for more than 12 minutes per shot to be honest...

Many people shoot narrative and don't need to record for more than 12 minutes. Many others shoot doc, reality, weddings, etc. and need or want this capability. Here are three people who wanted to record for more than 12 minutes, and, in some cases, were disappointed that their "video" capable DSLRs could not:

"How do people record real videos with Canon SLR?"

"Can I get around the video time limit of a Canon T3i DSLR?"

"Which system camera or SLR won't overheat in HD recording?"

I have answered this question at least a half a dozen times in various fora. I am not making a value judgment about the relative merit of 12 minutes versus 20 minutes versus 30 minutes versus unlimited recording time. What I am saying, is that in the interest of truth in advertising, and the consumer's right to be fully informed before shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars, pounds or euro - camera manufacturers should feature these limits much more prominently in their advertising.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Back