• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Same plot, different movie

Ok, I've been working on a idea for a screenplay in my head for months and recently started writing it. The problem is I just recently found out that a movie Ruby Sparks that just came out has a very similar plot. That film is more of a comedy and mines more of a drama. I'm wonder should I even finish the screenplay seeing that our movies are a lot alike? I feel as though the movies are different but the plots somewhat the same.

DANCES WITH WOLVES: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
THE LAST SAMURAI: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
AVATAR: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
DISTRICT 9: Gung ho MNU worker meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen

Make the differences significant.

ITREF

Last edited:
DANCES WITH WOLVES: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
THE LAST SAMURAI: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
AVATAR: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
DISTRICT 9: Gung ho MNU worker meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen

Make the differences significant.

Don't forget to add Pocahontas to that list.

I just recently found out that a movie Ruby Sparks that just came out has a very similar plot.

Similar plot:
Ex-cons buy a shop to tunnel into the bank vault next door.
Despite all they can do the shop prospers.
"Larceny, Inc." "Small Time Crooks"

In London a magician accused of murder attempts to perform
the ultimate magic trick all the while asking, “Is magic real?”
"The Prestige" "The Illusionist"

Let's get even more specific:
A human detective enters a cartoon world to stop a villain who
is trying to destroy the toons. He must contend with a shapely
cartoon vixen.
"Cool World" "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

A group of out of work actors are mistaken for the famous
characters they used to portray on-screen and find themselves
involved in a dangerous armed confrontation. Overcoming their
massive egos and cowardice, the actors band together to face
the enemy and become true heroes.
"Galaxy Quest" "Three Amigos"

A resourceful, somewhat badly adjusted guy is left alone on
Christmas eve, when a group of otherwise successful career
criminals enact an overly elaborate plan for a robbery. The
only thing they weren't counting on is this one-man wrecking
crew who, almost single-handedly and against all the odds,
completely whoops their asses.
"Die Hard" "Home Alone"

Yeah, I guess there are a lot of movies out there with the same plot. I just didn't want to end up feeling like I took anyone else's work. I guess I could also change something's around to make it more different.

It all boils down to how far you're looking to simplify things. It's a slippery slope that's best avoided. The thing to focus on in your screenplay, above all else, is that you tell your story however you feel it's best served. People are going to be able to draw comparisons to other stories by some facet or another; it's how the human brain works: generalize and associate.

Never let anything get between you, and finishing your screenplay.

Another example of a film that has a story similar to another is Reservoir Dogs - it is a heist movie but unlike other heist films that came before it it doesn't actually show the heist happening just what happened before it and the aftermath.

I think that if you can find something to focus on that sets a film apart from the others then it doesn't matter if the story is similar as long as it's a strong story and has something different about it.

Back