Poll "Job of the Director"

These are fairly easy statements. Do you agree or disagree? If you'd like to give an explanation please do. If you look at this thread, don't be shy reply.

1. Is it important for a Director to know the difference between a good take and bad take?

2. Is it essential for a Director to know how to get the best performance from his performers?

This isn't for me. I believe I know the answers.

Damn I lost the poll part.

I answer YES to both.

Last edited:
The Director is the captain of the ship... every problem is ultimately the director's fault. Casting, another take, editing decision... these are all under the purview of the director. I have tons of mistakes that at the surface may look like actor issues, or editor issues, or whatever... but I as the director should have done something about it and take full responsibility for every mistake in every production I've ever been at the helm of.

Perhaps it's not the fact we're lazy, but rather, we don't see this as a compelling topic to take further action on.

So, you don't know the answer then? Yet you took the time to give this moronic answer. Why bother?

The Director is the captain of the ship... every problem is ultimately the director's fault. Casting, another take, editing decision... these are all under the purview of the director. I have tons of mistakes that at the surface may look like actor issues, or editor issues, or whatever... but I as the director should have done something about it and take full responsibility for every mistake in every production I've ever been at the helm of.

While you ultimately accept responsibility for everything on set. Do you agree with the questions? There's someone here who is young and does not. He firmly believes that he doesn't have to know the difference and that getting the best from an actor is not the director's responsibility.

Last edited:
If it's on screen and wrong, it's the director's fault... so yes, the director needs to know a good from bad take... and needs to be able to get actors to perform at their best.

Definately in agreement... they should also know bits and pieces of the other jobs on set as well so they can A) talk to the other crew about the needs of the production and B) recognize when something is wrong (perhaps in the reverse order).

If it's on screen and wrong, it's the director's fault... so yes, the director needs to know a good from bad take... and needs to be able to get actors to perform at their best.

Definately in agreement... they should also know bits and pieces of the other jobs on set as well so they can A) talk to the other crew about the needs of the production and B) recognize when something is wrong (perhaps in the reverse order).

One out of 60. Not a bad start. Thanks!

The Director's main job is looking after the actors - getting the best performances out of them and blocking them etc. Then it's discussing with the DP about where to put the camera.

Above and beyond that, it depends on the production and the Director. A lot of the time, most decisions always come back to the Director, or at least the HOD, but the bottom line is it's the Producer's film - that's why they get the Oscars for best film, and the Directors get the oscars for best Directing.

To answer your questions, yes a Director needs to know both those things.

I'm not surprised that you're not getting many responses when the answer to both your questions is clearly going to be yes. The tone with which you're responding to people here is also unlikely to help your cause.

I'm not surprised that you're not getting many responses when the answer to both your questions is clearly going to be yes. The tone with which you're responding to people here is also unlikely to help your cause.

Clearly YES? Why don't you go over to the Screening room where there's a young Director who believes the answers to be a RESOUNDING NO.

The only person I responded to with a tone was guerrilla angel who gave a dick response. Of course he couldn't answer the uncompeling questions, because he didn't know the answers.

See that's 2 people on this site that didn't know the answers were clearly going to be YES. So, this is a useful topic.

I'm now going to give the kid this link. I've done my part. If he doesn't get it now, then I don't give a shit.

Clearly YES? Why don't you go over to the Screening room where there's a young Director who believes the answers to be a RESOUNDING NO.

The only person I responded to with a tone was guerrilla angel who gave a dick response. Of course he couldn't answer the uncompeling questions, because he didn't know the answers.

See that's 2 people on this site that didn't know the answers were clearly going to be YES. So, this is a useful topic.

I'm now going to give the kid this link. I've done my part. If he doesn't get it now, then I don't give a shit.

I didn't answer either question because I knew you were doing something like this.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 12:3-8&version=NIV
IOW, there will always people that don't "get it" no matter how much you help them.
(Yeah, I know there's more to the overall meaning than just that.)

I think UsSinners' tough love approach is fine.
Clearly the more appropriate "be pleasant" approach is failing.
Some people NEED a sharp crack against the forehead to understand some things.

But, if this STILL doesn't work - then f**k 'em.
Movin' on to more productive pastures.
2_thumbs_up_-_animated.gif

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 12:3-8&version=NIV
IOW, there will always people that don't "get it" no matter how much you help them.
(Yeah, I know there's more to the overall meaning than just that.)

I think UsSinners' tough love approach is fine.
Clearly the more appropriate "be pleasant" approach is failing.
Some people NEED a sharp crack against the forehead to understand some things.

But, if this STILL doesn't work - then f**k 'em.
Movin' on to more productive pastures.
2_thumbs_up_-_animated.gif

I have a feeling you wouldn't be saying this if you knew the context of the other conversation.

I have a feeling you wouldn't be saying this if you knew the context of the other conversation.
That may very well be true.

I've just had my fair share of girlfriends (once upon a time) that no matter how much I "helped them" they still ended up making the same bad decisions.
Net = zero.

Screw 'em.
I ain't got time for such poor investments.
It took me a fair while to get that through my thick head.

Likewise, I've run across too many customers in my profession that I know I could literally put a pistol to their head and say "Quit being self-destructive, or else... "
And I know that they can't help but repeat the same self destructive behaviors.

Some people can be helped.
Some cannot.
All men and women are NOT created equal.

I'll give US the benefit of a doubt that I understand his vantage point.
The "nice help" ain't working.
Maybe the "hard help" will.
And if that don't work... I believe it's better to try and fail than to be sucessful at doing nothing. There's a time to move on.
Just a personal belief, I acknowledge. :cool:

Hmm... just found "the other thread" for some context. :(

Right ideas.
Wrong approach by US. :no:
Too argumentative.

Still vote Yes & Yes, and also agree with that thread's OP points, as well. :)
Director's responsible for EVERYTHING A) the producer provides that B) the audience will or could appreciate, from images to acting to audio.

Last edited:
Back