Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk Discussion > The Lounge

Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
JoshL
Basic Member

Send a message via AIM to JoshL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
I cringe inside every time one of my customers orders a $35 shot of whiskey. Or a $500 bottle of wine. But to them, it's worth it.
Are we talking a shot or a glass of nice scotch to sip? There is a difference. The former I absolutely agree with you, and the latter, I usually can't afford, but sometimes can really be worth it. That said, anyone ordering by age rather than brand isn't doing it right (there's a difference between a 10 year Islay and a 10 year Highland).

And on the other hand, I was in a bar about a year ago, asked for a glass of Jameson (about as cheap as I'll go, straight whisky-wise) and it was $12. You know, for the stuff you can buy a bottle of for $24. And the place was literally four blocks away from the bar that USED to be the trendy, expensive bar (but is now more a punk hangout), where the same drink cost me $4. And they had dollar tacos!
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
Banned: ussinners
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leister View Post
Sometimes memories and the regrets that are connected to them are so strong, some people just can't let go. I think it's the same with a lot of your customers. I don't think ALL of them are mindless drones.
Of course that's why most people put their memories in storage.

We have a heart breaker. A woman just rented a unit, and she told me "My son died last year and I can't bring myself to throw away his things yet." Even my boss who is a tough ass, cut this woman a better deal than I was able to find her.

Let me ask you this. What kind of financial burden was it on the families for that year? Was the house paid off, and they were just splitting the taxes? Were they paying a mortgage and figured they'd split the cost and make it back when the house was sold?

Dready: Yes, I am. That's why my friends always ask me to hang out. I'm a hell of a lot of fun. But, most unique people are.

rayw: There's a special place in hell for all the insurance reps, doctors, and politicians who bow to the almighty dollar while countless people die of sicknesses that could easily be cured.

What I love is how the mindless drones (basically Republican) rail against having to be insured. "Why is the government telling me I have to be insured. If I don't want insurance it's my right not to have it". The thing these idiots don't get is, a Republican put that in the health plan. Not Obama.

Or better yet, we should kill the Obama Health Care Plan and go back to the days when an insurance company could refuse you for a pre-existing condition. Makes perfect sense to me.

Yep Dready that's me spreading my sunshine. But, at least I don't keep my head in the sand, and just allow the norm to tell me what I should own, do, enjoy.

God or evolution or whatever gave us a brain to be used. Slowly as the years pass, we choose to turn it off and allow our computers, cell phones, and social media outlets dictate our sensibilities. Oh, and lets not forget the almighty political correctness.

Let's talk education: How kids are allowed in class to use calculators to learn math is absolutely beyond me. Will Word be teaching them English soon? Fucking idiot mindless drones.
ussinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
rayw
Basic Member

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussinners View Post
Or better yet, we should kill the Obama Health Care Plan and go back to the days when an insurance company could refuse you for a pre-existing condition. Makes perfect sense to me.
Works for me.

I can't live in a house I can't afford.
Can't drive a car I can't afford.
Can't sire offspring I can't afford.
Then why is it I can get healthcare I can't afford?

Quote:
Let's talk education: How kids are allowed in class to use calculators to learn math is absolutely beyond me. Will Word be teaching them English soon? Fucking idiot mindless drones.
Technology has become so reliable that it's button-pushing parameters have become the minimal support standard.
Give it a hundred years. You'll choke and die on what their "minimal standard" will become.

Yes, MS Word will indeed be reinforcing - AND PERPETUATING - the most retarded language system in the known universe.

Why do we need both a "c" and "k", which we'll sometimes quit trying to figure out which one to use and just stick them both in there, and a "q" which is about 100% dependent upon a "u" to make the same sound as the already redundant "c" and "k"?
Three letters?
Really?

There.
Their.
and
They're?
4Really?

And about five thousand other stupid things.
Yeahhhhh...
I love this language about as much as the retards that insist on perpetuating it, warts and all.
Go MS Word!
rayw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
insert_cliche_here
Basic Member

Future English teacher here. Ouch.
insert_cliche_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
Leister
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussinners View Post
Let me ask you this. What kind of financial burden was it on the families for that year? Was the house paid off, and they were just splitting the taxes? Were they paying a mortgage and figured they'd split the cost and make it back when the house was sold?
The house was paid off, so it was not very expensive to keep the house for a year. But it was unnecessary.

Well, if I had to pay 12 grand for a storage unit, no matter what memories I want to keep sealed in there.. I just couldn't afford that. Where do these people take the money to do this?
Leister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
rayw
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insert_cliche_here View Post
Future English teacher here. Ouch.
Ouch, indeed.

Or indede.
Or indead.
Or inndeed.

You're a victim of a system too/to/two larg(insert_pointless_"e"_here) for any one of us too/to/two do/doo any/ane/akneething about.

Against your fine sensibilities, you/u/yoo wil/will be/bee forced/phorsed/fourssed too/to/two perpetuate a corrupt/korrupt/quorrupt system/sistim simply/simplee because/bekawz you/u/yoo have/halve too/to/two.

You have my sincere condolences.

We're also in no position to do anything about the stupid 60seconds/60minutes/24hrs thing.
Nor a calendar system that's AFU when a sensible 7day, 4week, 13month calendar accounts for 364 days leaving a single freebie day.

Self. Inflicted. Injuries.
rayw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #22
chilipie
IndieTalk Moderator

Just a friendly reminder of the rules…

Quote:
We are a group of filmmakers. Politics only serve to divide us. We do not allow political discussions unless they are related to film. If they turn into political bickering, they will be closed.
chilipie is offline   Reply With Quote