• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Backstage at a College Fashion Show

That was very good.
I don't care about fashion the least bit, but the technical execution and editing I appreciate a great deal.
You've made a great deal of progress since those first few Fashonista videos! :yes:

I have to say this documentary style works great with what I'm guessing is a pseudo-prosumer quality camera.
Attempts at dramatic productions using these cameras almost always look like cr@p to me.
I dunno. Go figure. :huh:

I have a few questions, if that's okay?
(Surely you didn't stick this up here for us to OOO-AHH over the fashion show. Yikes!)

1. Are you still using the Canon VIXIA HF S100 from a couple years ago?
It looks like you had a fairly nice resolution upgrade from the New York City interview just seven months ago.

2. Were you using a shoulder mount for your camera and what can you tell us about your handling technique? (I think it's better than most of what I see posted here.)

3. The audio capture on that transmitter mic was, all things considered, pretty decent. What can you tell us about the equipment and working with it?

4. What software was this edited with? Any particular reason why the transitions are not consistent? (They begin with a flash-bulb transitions then largely become some funky solar flare transitions.)

5. How were the opening and closing graphics composed? (They look really nice, BTW.)

Thanks!

That was very good.
I don't care about fashion the least bit, but the technical execution and editing I appreciate a great deal.
You've made a great deal of progress since those first few Fashonista videos! :yes:

I have to say this documentary style works great with what I'm guessing is a pseudo-prosumer quality camera.
Attempts at dramatic productions using these cameras almost always look like cr@p to me.
I dunno. Go figure. :huh:

I have a few questions, if that's okay?
(Surely you didn't stick this up here for us to OOO-AHH over the fashion show. Yikes!)

1. Are you still using the Canon VIXIA HF S100 from a couple years ago?
It looks like you had a fairly nice resolution upgrade from the New York City interview just seven months ago.

2. Were you using a shoulder mount for your camera and what can you tell us about your handling technique? (I think it's better than most of what I see posted here.)

3. The audio capture on that transmitter mic was, all things considered, pretty decent. What can you tell us about the equipment and working with it?

4. What software was this edited with? Any particular reason why the transitions are not consistent? (They begin with a flash-bulb transitions then largely become some funky solar flare transitions.)

5. How were the opening and closing graphics composed? (They look really nice, BTW.)

Thanks!
Thanks! Actually, I didn't make any of the other videos on the channel, just that one. I was hired on as like an intern for this specific project.

1. I used a t2i for this. I don't know what was used for the other videos on their channel, but I've used a vixia in the past and wish I hadn't bought the thing since I bought the T2i like 3 months later. Only complaint with the t2i is that it overheats.

2. I just used my hands to hold the camera. I have a camera bag I keep cinched up to where I can sort of support my elbows on it when it's in front of me against my belly. I don't have a follow focus or anything like that. I've watched other fashion show videos where you can see guys in the background with big dslr rigs on shoulder mounts...ridiculous. I do think a sony nxcam or something similar would be more ideal for this type of shooting though.

3.For audio I used a Sony ENG kit I bought from B&H last November. It's pretty legit. I enlisted my buddy to run the mixer bag which had a Sound Devices Mix Pre getting the signal from the wireless mic and feeding it to my marantz pmd 660 recorder (I'd go with a h4n in hindsight). The only snag I had was with the mixer's batteries dying halfway through because I had the 48v phantom flipped on which should've been off. I synched the audio from the recorder with the audio i got from my T2i's onboard mic in Dual Eyes (worth every dime I spent on it). I then adjusted the levels in Audition after I had a rough cut in Premiere. I've found using the hardlimiter on individual clips is a good tool to get a nice even signal.

4. I used Premiere Pro CS5 to edit it. I used the flashbulb (dip to white) transitions during the intro because I felt the other type of transition I used took too many frames for such short clips. The other transitions were a gradual increase in the levels value over 3 frames on the outgoing clip and a gradual decrease in levels over like 5 frames on the incoming clip. I saw a tutorial somewhere where a guy said this was more true to the way an actual film burn or flash frame worked...Wasn't sure about that, but it looked different from what other fashion sites like Elle were doing for their transitions of just dipping to white. I also added a fast blur transition underneath the levels transition when switching to a different person/segment. Judging by your response I guess I should've stuck with just the flashbulb/dip to white transition. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

5.The opening and closing graphics were done in After Effects CS5. The initial flare is a Knoll LF effect. The animated camera was done with Andrew Kramer's free plugin called "sure target". I also used his tutorial on graffiti effects to animate the logo being drawn. I tweaked the sure target plugin settings to give it a little rocking motion.

Hope that helps you out.

Back