Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Post Production

Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Any DAW will do an okay job.

Logic Pro has certain specific toolsets for video work. Pro Tools is, has, and will be the industry standard.
I use PT - keep in mind that when it comes to audio post there is a whole lot more to it than just what we immediately see - there's entire atmospheres that you need to rebuild. FX can be 10-20 layers each or more, plus you have the 20-40 layers of atmosphere, foley, dialogue etc.
I remember parts of Inception had upwards of 1900 tracks all going at once... The Muppets (IIRC) had ~250-300 just for the dialogue and soundtrack...
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
Utopia
Basic Member

@Jax where did you hear that Inception had 1,900?
Utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
@Jax where did you hear that Inception had 1,900?
My question as well. My understanding is that most of the big mixing stages run, at most, 1,280 tracks. A full blown HD system is 256 tracks, and five synced HD systems is about the limit - one for dialog, one for Foley, two for sound FX, and one for the score and source music. There is the future possibility of 768 tracks per full blown HDX systems (recently released), but it will be quite a while before most will upgrade - they'll wait until the bugs are worked out.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
JoshL
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoganSound View Post
If you're looking for an ultra cheap DIY method, Ableton live offers a 30 free trial - http://www.ableton.com/download-suite-trial
Not sure what the limitations of the trial version are. No importing or exporting OMFs in Live but you can load in QTs and sync audio so that might be a viable option for you.
Last time I checked, the limitations of the Live trial are such to make it useless. I think "no saving sessions" possibly combined with a time lockout. Anyway, most DAWs also offer a free trial, and Live would probably be the last one I would recommend for this sort of thing.

Which isn't to say it doesn't have its uses. Great for DJ-type performance (it's designed for it), and live theatre-type stuff (the ability to create looping scenes, with live triggers on top of that, mixing in new scenes, etc).

Oh, and free-trial caveat: Cubase requires you to have their security dongle, which sells for $30. Not an issue if you buy the full version (you'll need one), but just to TRY the software? Seems silly to me.
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Utopia
Basic Member

@Alcove Exactly. I think he might be mistaking a comment like "Yes we have over 1,900 individual SOUNDS playing back for a scene".

That would make more sense.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
@Alcove Exactly. I think he might be mistaking a comment like "Yes we have over 1,900 individual SOUNDS playing back for a scene".
It would not be unusual to do pre-mixing (pre-dubs) of multiple sounds that make up a single sound, nor is it unusual to have "hidden" tracks (tracks that are inactive) with alternate sounds/takes/whatevers or the tracks of the pre-dub builds.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:

That would make more sense.
That's essentially what the comment was, though referred to in terms of 'tracks'. At least as far as I remember, I read it quite a while ago.. Where the article was I couldn't tell you off the top of my head but I'll dig around and see if I can find it.
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
Utopia
Basic Member

Cool. I'm not accusing you - don't spend too much time looking for it.

@Alcove - I've had orchestra sessions that couldn't fit on a 160 channel mixboard so we had to mix them down.

Predubs often take months to do before the final mix. And even then, they are still adding tracks on the dub stage

I don't think there will ever be a system that can hold as much as you want. Someone, somewhere, is going to want more tracks. It's in a scorer/sound designer/sound editor's blood.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Just think about what it was like in the 30's through the 60's; you had four or five tracks - dialog, Foley sound FX, (stereo) score. Everything was performed live to picture with no editing. And for all you visual types there was no CGI, no color correction, etc - everything had to be captured live on the set!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #25
Utopia
Basic Member

@Alcove we'd be out of a job hehehe
Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #26
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Nah - we'd probably be engineering scoring, ADR or Foley sessions.