2012 MARCH > Movie of the Month Club

We're halfway through the month.
If you're game - a breakdown, reverse engineered analysis, and/or research are due the last week, the week after next.

Pick a FREE movie
41SCzBSYQfL._AA160_.jpg
- Big Budget Action ($50m): http://www.youtube.com/movie/the-international
512oSu4IRtL._AA160_.jpg
- Made for Web Series Action: http://www.hulu.com/watch/110127/angel-of-death?c=Action-and-Adventure
51ywx-BPpkL._AA160_.jpg
- Foreign Action (Korean): http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2337709081/

That's three different sources.
One's likely available in your neck of the woods.
Maybe there's one at your public library. Watch the DVD extras. They're often more valuable than the movie itself.

Deconstruct it, analyze how the characters, situation, and decisions move the story along.
Consider the locations, talent, props, vehicles, costumes, and filming+lighting equipment resources utilized.
Note the camera shots.
Note the audio.
What did you find out about the people and process involved?
How would you modify the story and write it for yourself to shoot?

The last week of the month just throw up whatever notes you made.
The idea is to simply become better filmmakers by watching what worked (or didn't) from produced films with distribution then share the knowledge.

Pushmi-Pullyu%252C%2BStory%2Bof%2BDoctor%2BDolittle.JPG

Alright.
Got my docket cleared of more pressing issues.

Tonight.
Tomorrow.
I'll throw up something.
In excruuuuciating detail. :yes:

That's the one I'm picking.
Starting it now.
Will probably break up my note taking across today.

I'm considerably more interested in the production side of how who got what done and for how much, so any stargazing about Zoe Bell is completely lost on me.
(That said, Lucy Lawless looked so hideous I didn't even recognize her.)
713619-41_original_medium.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Death_(web_series)
"Angel of Death is a web series of eight to ten minute episodes created by Ed Brubaker. The series stars Zoë Bell as Eve, an assassin taking revenge on her former employers, and costars Lucy Lawless. Angel of Death was produced by White Rock Lake Production and distributed by Sony Pictures Television. The episodes were released on Crackle from March 2 to March 13, 2009."

Ed Brubaker's background is almost exclusively in cartooning for DC & Marvel comics.
AOD is his first of two film/cinema related products. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3090268/

By watching the complete first season ten part series (presented as a single 77min show) it's obvious a second season was left open-ended available... assuming there was sufficient audience to warrant such.
There was no second season, so either the show/series was insufficient in generating audience interest - or - the marketing to watch it online was insufficient.

To provide some context as to just how much audience interest warrants "sufficient" take this quote:
" Ed Brubaker‘s gritty stunt-filled masterpiece, starring stuntwoman-turned-actress Zoe Bell as a ruthless assassin looking to right the wrongs of her mercenary past, has already racked up over 5 Million views since its launch on March 2nd."
http://www.tubefilter.com/2009/06/01/angel-of-death-summoned-by-spike-tv-dvd-to-follow/
That's a June 1st article.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Crack...Web+Series+'Angel+Of+Death'+on...-a0192058159
"Crackle.com will air the first of 10 episodes of "Angel of Death" starting March 2nd. A new 8-10 minute long episode will be available each weekday through March 13th. Together with new footage, the series will be released in its entirety on DVD as a full length feature, after its online broadcast. "
So, 5m views in three weeks and across all ten episodes sounds pretty good to me, but... with only a single ten episode season it's safe to say that number remained insufficient.

Now, exactly how Brubaker got hooked up with this project is... not clear.

Without quoting the (less than immutable) wikipedia passage, trust me, it skips over that detail.
However, it does provide several links to typical weak tea articles which sadly also evade the issue despite telling a series of events in random order, none of which connect the dots between Brubaker, the writer, with either Paul Etheridge, the director, or White Rock Lake Productions, the production company.

Paul Etheredge has not been very cinematically busy since directing & producing AOD.
Director (3 titles)
  • 2009/I Angel of Death
  • 2007 Buried Alive (TV mini-series)
  • 2004 HellBent (as Paul Etheredge-Ouzts)
Producer (5 titles)
  • 2009/I Angel of Death (producer)
  • 2009 Krentz Presentz: Tyrannosaurus Rex! (video) (producer)
  • 2007 Buried Alive (TV mini-series) (producer)
  • 2005 The Civilization of Maxwell Bright (co-producer)
  • 2001 Circuit (associate producer)

Previously and subsequently, White Rock Lake Productions fooled around only with small potatoes projects.
Budgets were
  • Rites of Spring (2011) ... Production Company No budget, no time
  • Archetype (2011) ... Production Company: Budget: $25,000 (estimated), "Short"
  • Paralyzed (2011/II) ... Production Company: No budget, "Short"
  • Angel of Death (2009/I) ... Production Company: No budget, 77min. Review Quote: "A small-budget exercise in what can be accomplished in on-line video"
  • Krentz Presentz: Tyrannosaurus Rex! (2009) (V) ... Production Company: No budget, no time
  • "Buried Alive" (2007) TV Mini-Series ... Production Company: No budget given, no time, but also directed by Paul Etheredge. Review Quote: " VERY limited budget shows and the plight of the characters might provide unintentional chuckles thanks to their kooky environs and rather lame death sequences."
  • The Election (2007) ... Production Company: Budget: $5,000 (estimated), 8min
  • Vermilion (2007) ... Production Company: Budget: $10,000 (estimated), 14min
It appears AOD clearly represented White Rock Lake's longest and likely most expensive production.
http://www.whiterocklakeproductions.com/links.html

Found the budget.
"... and with a budget that numbers just under $1 million, Angel of Death is the story of how..."
http://www.tubefilter.com/2009/03/05/interview-with-zoe-bell-and-ed-brubaker-on-angel-of-death/
Averaged across ten episodes let's call that $90,000 - $100,000 for each eight to ten minute episode or just over $12,000 per screen minute.

Okay, there's some more clarity in that same article:
"Ed Brubaker: The producer, John Norris, was trying to option Criminals from me to do the web thing. I didn’t want to do that for a variety of reasons. Then he basically dangled Zoe Bell in front of me and said, “Well, we’ve been talking to Zoe Bell about doing something, and she’s very interested in doing something for the internet.”

I was a huge fan of Zoe’s from Double Dare, Xena, and Death Proof. And I just thought, “Why don’t we create something new for Zoe Bell?” The next day I turned in the pitch for Angel of Death and we were off to the races at the point. Everything went really fast. Zoe loved it. The producers loved it. Everybody at Sony was really into it. I went out to some meetings and three months later I was writing a script and three months later we were filming a movie."

So, Brubaker the writer was already in talks with the real string puller John Norris, who shows up AOD's full cast & crew page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1269734/fullcredits#cast
"Produced by
Mark Battaglia .... line producer
Paul Etheredge .... producer
John Norris .... producer"

John Norris has a rather nice producer resume which looks pretty much exactly like the White Rock Lake Productions list above: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0635835/
Who wants to make a bet WRLP is his company?
And if you click on his seemingly unrelated "Visual Effects" caret you'll see he's not only got his fingers in many other pies (broad industry exposure and contacts!) but he's also a business affairs big wig at The Aaron Sims Company.
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0296860/
http://www.aaron-sims.com/portfolio-character.php

Brubaker, from the land of Marvel comics, gets on Norris' visual effects radar from Norris' interest in another of Brubaker's projects, Criminals, which was a no-go, which translated into a ten episode <$1m web series just so that Norris can use Zoe Bell in something.
A quasi bait & switch.

Bell's interest in doing "something" seems to be the motivating factor.
"Zoe Bell: My manager at the time, Brent Calson was in contact with Sony and they were talking about doing some online, webby type stuff. I went into meet with them and it sounded cool and I said, “Keep me in mind.” Then maybe a year later they sent through the synopsis of Angel of Death."
http://www.tubefilter.com/2009/03/05/interview-with-zoe-bell-and-ed-brubaker-on-angel-of-death/

Argh! This just makes the whole process look so easy:
http://www.craveonline.com/tv/interviews/147264-ed-brubakers-angel-of-death
I'm going to vomit.
"Ed Brubaker: Pretty amazing. It was greenlit before I had written more than ten pages of the script. We had a budget and the whole deal, so I knew writing it, I was writing for a million, maybe a million and a half budget, which for an online project is a huge budget. "
(Wretch, wretch, wretch.) :mope:

Now, how Sony came to plopping this down in Norris' lap is something of a mystery.
Norris' primary company, The Aaron Sims Company, does visual effects while his side business, White Rock Lake Productions, had never attempted anything in this scope or vector. :huh:

"Eric Berger, Senior Vice President of digital networks for Sony Pictures Television." might have something to do with it, or is just the spokesman.
Or "Sean Carey, senior executive vice president, Sony Pictures Television." might have something to do with it.

And for those who didn't know: "Crackle, Inc., a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company, is a multi-platform video entertainment network and studio that distributes work from the hottest established and emerging talent on the web and beyond."

http://www.examiner.com/net-buzz-in...hits-the-mark-with-new-live-action-web-series
"The series is a White Rock Lake Production, a joint venture from "The Incredible Hulk" and "War of the Worlds" character designer Aaron Sims and producer John Norris, and is distributed by Sony Pictures Television."
Since it looks like WRLP ponnied up the cash for this project Sony was pushing I wonder if Sony signed some paperwork stating under certain conditions they'd pay to distribute.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1269734/technical
Camera
Red One Camera (arri ultra prime lens)
Red One Camera
3531096725_2dda667376_m.jpg

Perhaps the most cogent review I've read: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/109939-angel-of-death

>>> FWIW: Whomever was responsible for promoting this project to a bazillion web news, media, and blog-like sites did an excellent job getting the word out about AOD well before it premiered.

Enough homework.
Notes and observations on the series tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't have the time to give details on the movie(s), but I watched 'The International' about three times already. I like the story and the way it was shot. The acting was very good, BTW.
Not sure if this movie made money or not.

Too bad though, I can't watch the videos. It says "not available in your country" T___T
Well, that's not good.

I was hoping that between three different providers...
Rats.

Well, what online movie providers do you have access to?
Maybe we can try those next!

La! La! La! La! La! Notes! La! La! La! La! La!

Reminder: The purpose of tearing these films down is to figure out ways that we can apply the principles that we see and hear on screen, good or bad, to our own film products.

Guessing at episode breaks according to reported ten installments.
(Episode 1)
- Minute long title sequence has a fair amount of processing to it.
Reduced frames per second.
Partial offset double images.
Water spot pattern.
Display text suggests gritty American mid-west
> EXT establish city skyline Major 1
> INT home office Major 2
> INT condo bedroom Major 3
- Product Placement Opportunity (PPO) with laptop.
- Could have had a PPO with a cell phone, but director elected to use antiquated dial-type office phone (which has no pay-off for using that I could note.)
- One of the big promotion pushes was Zoe Bell's "kick ass body".
(FWIW, I don't think her face is much to look at, but whatever).
So, her casual intro is of course a way to showcase such:
reclined in bed,
hands behind her head,
sports bra,
sheets pulled down to her navel,
exposing her abs for the sit-up in bed,
she stands up in shadow to silhouette her athletic hips and thighs,
sport panties to match bra, // pedestal up shot //
followed by harsh lighting to emphasize her non-flabby arms & lean figure while dressing.
- Dialog: Eve's and Hamilton's names dropped during vulgar exposition of situation.
> EXT top of multi-level city parking deck Major 4
- Color processing looks desaturated, shifted, then contrast increased // looks shoulder mount shot //
- Subdued background din of auto traffic has been added; note its consistency from shot to shot.
> EXT rooftop to chauffeured car on street "through binoculars" Major 5
> INT lobby Major 6
> INT elevator Major 7
> INT elevator to hall Major 8
- @ 5:18 1st brief action as Eve overcomes rent a cop.
- Low angle shot for attention on briefcase. PPO!
- Not all shots are level. (This become a reoccurring practice for action sequences.)
- Guard falls at strike - cut to different shot as his body comes to rest.
> INT dog leg hall Major 9
- @ 5:45 Swinging cam through hall
> EXT hood mounted camera through windshield shot Major 10
> INT apartment entry Minor 1
> INT apartment Minor 2
- @ 5:57 2nd fight sequence
- @ 6:05 "up scroll cuts" to open briefcase. I think this is the first of the writer's comic book background being integrated into the film by the director as a way to tie into the web series' marketing.
- @ 6:36 L&R splitscreen
- Gunfire
- That was either some tight camerawork in the elevator or a set.
- 3rd fight sequence
- Although the knife was stabbed into Eve's head just off frame @ 7:01 the action continues without it being seen because it would look ridiculous, then finally revealed dramatically @ 7:13 after Eve shoots the minor.

(Episode 2)
> EXT fire escape Major 11
> EXT fire escape alley Major 12
> INT doctor's treatment room Major 13
- Did a good job matching the angle & position of prop knife in Eve's head to the x-ray // curved track shot //
- CHARACTERS: Eve's "the straight", all part-time side characters are caricatures.
- Nice slurping sound FX when knife pulled out.
> INT hallway with wire glass window doors Major 14
> EXT street side outside Eve's condo Minor 3
- @ 10:30 note addition of distant ambulance siren during an otherwise boring sequence.
- PPO w/ vehicles.
> EXT walk through park Minor 4
> EXT sidewalk to parked limo Major 15
- @ 12:17 wacky comic book wipes
> INT limo Major 16
- No camera movement inside limo sequence
- Subtle zoom likely done in post rather than in camera.
> INT condo bathroom Major 17
- @ 15:01 that entire bathroom sequence looked rookie sh!t as h3ll.
> INT condo livingroom Major 18

(Episode 3)
> EXT desert Major 19
- @ 19:07 nice head blown off effect.
> EXT hood mount center shot through car windshield (I think most all of these are legit in-camera rather than greenscreened.) Major 20
> EXT bridge overpass Major 21
- Both the Eve & Doc and Prescott & Agent Taylor conversations are classic 180° rule sequences. The former shoulder-rest mount shot, the latter from a tripod.
- Subtle zoom likely done in post
> EXT Bar Minor 5
> INT Bar Major 22
> INT Bar bathroom Major 23
> INT lobby to Prescott's condo Major 24
> EXT Prescott's condo Minor 6
> INT Prescott's condo Major 25
- @ 24:40 PPO for alcohol
> EXT Eve on wall Minor 7
> EXT old city garage Major 26
> INT old city garage Major 27

(Episode 4)
> EXT old city building service entrance Major 28
> EXT condo rear entry Major 29
> INT old city business office Major 30
> INT old city business office tile bathroom Major 31
- @ 28:50 4th fight sequence
- Half shot with skewed angles
- @ 31:00 seizure concern previously voiced multiple times finally happened at the worst possible time.

(Episode 5)
- @ 33:43 very clever having the thin stream of squirting blood silhouetted against light.
- @ 34:00 5th fight sequence.
> EXT alley window Major 32
> EXT alley for car roof crash Major 33

(Episode 6)
- @ 42 by the end of the young boss-upstart Cameron threatening the guard, pointing a gun at Lyman, then splitting the guard this is really feeling like a soap opera that just never had the chops to make it to a HBO/Showtime/Cinemax-type premium cable carrier.
- @ 44 more comic book wacky wipes
> EXT park walk to office building Major 34
> INT office lobby to elvator Major 35
- @ 48 6th fight sequence
- @ 51 daughter Regina shoots dad and Doc

(Episode 7)
> EXT back alley to penthouse Major 36
> INT penthouse Major 37
> EXT city street sidewalk, Eve walking Minor 8
> EXT hood mount shot through car windshield Major 38
> INT Eve's closet Major 39
- @ 58 Vera killed

(Episode 8)
> EXT park, Regina walks to car Major 40
> EXT alley were hearses parked Major 41
> EXT park w/ bench Major 42
> EXT office street, Prescott & Taylor Major 43
> EXT Eve's condo at night, street level entry Major 44

(Episode 9)
> EXT wake building Major 45
> INT wake bldg meeting room Major 46
> INT wake bldg bathroom Major 47
- @ 1:04:28 nice arm scrunching sound
- @ 1:05:55 7th fight and gunfight sequence
- @ 1:10:00 Ah! The zip-tie thing comes to fruition

(Episode 10)
> INT hospital room Major 48
> INT agent Taylor's office Major 49
> INT Regina's in dress room Major 50
> EXT rooftop Minor 9

Now, all of these notations on locations may seem a bit peculiar but there are two reasons why, audience experience and expense.
First, I recently read that one of the hallmarks of a low/no budget show is the few number of locations involved (and a over-abundance of close ups).
I've also heard directors on DVD commentaries state a concern about creating "as broad a scope in the story's environment as possible" as an effort from keeping it from "feeling small".
To me this has some merit and some argument against.
[REC] / Quarantine sure didn't have an issue switching between two major locations, the firehouse and the condo.
But I do understand the concern, overall.

Second, no matter the size of your cast, crew & equipment, but exponentially more so as all increase, there is an expense associated with getting everyone and everything to each location + breaking the whole operation back down and trucking it back "home".
That relatively fixed expense is incurred no matter whether the scene or sequence lasts ten minutes, two minutes, twenty seconds, two seconds, or a split second in the final edit - or, God forbid - not even make it to edit but instead be left on the proverbial editing room floor. (Hard drive, these days. ;))
It costs you just as much time to move all your equipment, set it up, use it, break it down, and return it for pretty much each location.
(Note that each location is mentioned once since a few locations were used several times over across the series.)

There are at least 50 Major locations where I/you would have to coordinate more than a cinematographer and one actor in a non-speaking role.
The moment a cast member utters a single line of dialog I/we now gotta ensure an audio guy is there with his box+pole+mic.
If there's a actor walking to a car I/we gotta coordinate with someone to transport that vehicle there.
If I/we have two actors conversing for thirty seconds I/we I gotta go through the same equipment hassle as if I have four or five characters conversing for five minutes.
If I/we gotta have a chick falling out a window I/we may not need a sound guy, but instead I/we gotta have a stunt coordinator on set.
Each and every time I have something that's going to be a PITA - it's a Major PITA

By my count there are only 9 minor PITAs.
One cinematographer. Maybe one actor.
Might just be an establishing shot of an exterior, skyline, or landscape.
Might be just an actor walking across a park from several different angles.
No audio guy.
No stunt coordinator.
No multiple actors to get on location at the same time, in costume, in character.
No vehicles to ensure are on site.
Runnin' and gunnin'. Shoot N scoot. Nothing exciting.
These are only minor PITAs

That's a 10/1 ratio of major PITA shoots to minor PITA shots.
That's money being spent.
Fast.
Get cast, crew and equipment on site, set up, test, shoot/re-shoot, break down, transport back.

This film still felt soap opera-ish.
Meh.

It was supposed to be an action show. It had action, but it still felt like short busts of action between long episodes of drama. Not my cup of tea.
So, I question "How does the Bourne franchise, my gold standard, avoid this?"

AOD didn't get picked up for a second season despite 5million visits, so I guess I'm not the only one feeling "meh" about it.
However, it does look pretty good from a technical standpoint.
I couldn't come anywhere near the production value, even with a $90k budget per 7min episode.

Last edited:
How do you choose which film to discuss? Maybe it's for me but don't you think a full-feature film is tiresome to analyze. Why not opt for short films?

Can I also point out, for the purposes of fairness, that none of those films are available in the UK...

Well, not via Ray's links at least...

How do you choose which film to discuss? Maybe it's for me but don't you think a full-feature film is tiresome to analyze. Why not opt for short films?
Typically there's a great deal of information available about the production of a feature, large or small.
There are wiki pages with links to interviews, IMDB pages, Rotten Tomatoes reviews, film review and actor/writer/director/producer/distributor interview articles someone somewhere has pumped and pushed.
There's not much information available for shorts.

Can I also point out, for the purposes of fairness, that none of those films are available in the UK...

Well, not via Ray's links at least...
Fair enough.
For the next go round what sites do you guys have available watch online?
Surely we can find some available films common to multiple nations.

Ah. You got a point. We need facts. However, if we're just going to decode a short film, I'm sure we can come up with, I guess, something logical, not to mention you are already experienced. I'm not saying we should replace the feature film discussion with the short films, but maybe we can run along side with it.

Of course, we already have a repository of good short films.www.shortoftheweek.com

What do you think? :]

Back