M.o.Mo. Club: Day Night Day Night

Watch this movie! Then comment on it. But don't comment like a "normal" audience member. Put on your filmmaker-glasses, watch and comment through that filter. That is what this "club" is all about. Official discussion begins Feb. 21st.

Alright, folks.
Brace yourselves.

How many of you will be watching this on NetFlix and how many on DVD where there's the writer/director commentary?
I just watched the w/d commentary taking four and a half times as many notes as when I watched the film last week taking regular observational notes.

Anyone want a headzup on the inner workings but NOT on the film itself?
Or screwwit, just wait until next week on all of it?

My thinking was that sometimes it helps if you know what you're looking at - kinda like art appreciation.

"Maybe Pollocks and Picassos ain't such goofy sh!t when you have an informed view of them" sort of thing.
pollockpic.jpg
FP334.JPG

Last edited:
Alrighty, folks.
Here's what I got:

From watching the film
- Note audio composition for the entire sequence walking from the subway, up stairs, and into train/bus station. It's not actual audio. It's been heavily dubbed in and folied.
- Silent rice eating scene is classic almost cliché low budget indie shot.
- I recently watched A MIGHTY HEART which was deliberately shot docu-style. This seemed sort of like that, but not quite.
- @ 8min Soap & washing audio was terrible.
- @ 9min Long, staring shot was a wasteful time filler (among the first of many, many).
- I very much like the calm, professional demeanor of the first masked man, and later I felt the same about the group/cell. The absence of "The angry man" or "The surreptitious man" was appreciated.
- The "marketing" or "branding" selection measures of background, jacket, hair up or down, and self-conscious awareness of her own shiny nose amused me.
- @ 29min Chewing audio is a bit loud, scene goes on too long.
- @ 34 fashion review was funny.
- @ 46 Favorite lines in the film:
Bomb maker's assistant - It's about 30 pounds. Bust most of the weight is nails. We can take some out if you like?
She - No, you can put some more in, if you like.

- The saddest part of the film is all the people helping her doesn't instill some reattachment to humanity.
- For the Manhattan streets scenes I wonder how many of the passers-by required release forms? What's the legal situation on that circumstance?
- @ 58min Audio for the candy apple is terrible.
- If you've ever been to a big city you know they didn't record audio with a videomic at the same time they're filming this.
- @ 1:02 The muted focus on the hands was nice, although lengthy.
- @ 1:04 Building silence to gasp was clever.
- Got so stressed she peed her pants - niiiice.
- @ 1:12 These slice of life bore-fests don't entertain me. The problem I have with these sort of films is that they're good for watching only once. Why would I want to watch this again, even in another five to ten years? Why would I recommend this to someone? I like docu-style alright, like SYRIANA or THE KINGDOM. This just isn't a story that interests me.
- @ 1:25 I hate the naveling time, boring, static shots.

So, this was a documentation of a Hail Mary that fails! Ends in a "WTH was I thinking?"

Onto...
From watching the writer/director commentary
- Writer/Director Julia Loktev's inspiration was a news article about a Russian woman with a bomb in her backpack wandering the same street as her a week earlier.
This lead to research of other female suicide bombers from around the world.
- The prayer is based on an actual suicide bomber's prayer.
- Crucial point for director was a news report of a Chechen female suicide bomber that just before ramming her truck bomb into a military convoy stopped to get some bananas.
The juxtaposition of the ordinary with the extraordinary is what attracted the w/d.
- Also, a Palestinian girl that had lunch at a café before blowing it up - "It's the uncanny moments".
- When casting the director placed a huge importance on selecting an actress' face knowing the weight of the film would be carried on her face, stuck on the screen for almost every frame.
- Director's casting selection criteria: She's transparent despite every effort to be opaque, She must communicate everything while seemingly doing nothing, Can't pinpoint ethnicity, No trace of foreign or regional accent, polite and innocent yet serious and somber.
- New York open casting call all over the city at (acting) schools, community centers, contacted "Greek folk dancing" groups, radio stations, ads online, craigslist, flyers all over the city in Queens and Brooklyn, had interns stalking girls on the subway and at the supermarket.
- Got thousands and thousands of photos, interviewed about 650 girls in person.
- At end of this process they had no one, casting directors were asking for call backs and they had no one.
- Director completely demoralized because without "The Girl" they had no film.
- Received email from a girl working as a nanny who saw a flyer; wasn't a nanny trying to be an actress.
- Director impressed at how she, Luisa Williams, listened and processed information to her during their interview as the director told her about the film.
- It was Luisa's responses that got her the role.

- Unintentionally, the film was divided into two parts: Preparation and Action.
- Preparation stage was precisely controlled in flat colors, blues and greys, sound is mono punctuated by "She's" impact on the world around her.
- All sounds recorded in the locations, folied by Luisa after visual recorded and played back on DVD.
- Everything in the first part was about eliminating information, worked with production designer in limiting the color palette.
- Rented a hotel room, left the furniture, but added their own wallpaper (hotel's patterned w.p. chosen to hide stains), added their own curtains and wall paintings.

- Director likes to have as few people on set as possible; often herself, DP, AC & actors. Sound recordist in next room.
- Tried to keep it as intimate as possible.
- Doesn't story board or even prepare the scene in advance, does a lot of "discovery" in the scene as how people would move, then walk through with the camera then start shooting.
- Director was constantly speaking to Luisa, meaning the audio on screen is all folied.
- Did months of preparation, including Luisa in wardrobe shopping and location scouting.
Note: Wardrobe shopping is actor specific enough to wait, however locations didn't get scouted before or even during the months of casting.
- Locations I noted through the film: train, train station, car ride, Asian restaurant, hotel hallway, hotel room, bathroom, car backseat, steps to basement, basement fitting room, tall grass field, car parked, car interior, bus stop, on bus, getting off bus, Port Authority in NY, several Manhattan streets, Times Sq and 42nd St, candy store, intersection, restaurant 1 & 2, restaurant bathroom, empty street lot.
One identifier of low budget films is that they have "few" locations, meaning that a film can "look" low budget even without being so just by the limited number of locations contained within it.
I've yet to assess any general number of minimum locations requirement (between 40 - 50 in DNDN), but understand the principle enough to now be cognizant of it when crafting a feature length screenplay.

- Casting the men was difficult because when you can't see their faces you focus in their hands.
Any slight theatrical hand movement ruins the shot.
Worked hard on minimizing physical actions.
- Director had Luisa spend the night alone in the hotel taking notes on what she did alone.
Some of these were recorded for the post-message video and pre-fitting night.
- 25 takes of face washing and brushing teeth.

- Director added sign language aspect to add another layer of separation/isolation between Luisa and others.
- The bomb maker actor is actually deaf but had to learn British Sign Language which is different than American Sign Language.
- Backpack is filled with 30pounds of photography books.
- Blue of the jacket and yellow of backpack are the first introduction of colors for the second half of the film.
- They made 16 takes of Luisa exiting the car to go to the bus station. On the last take the bus began arriving and the director shouted to Luisa to "Go!"

- The Port Authority scene begins the second half of the film; from preparation representing control to action representing no control.
- The running shoulder hit was arranged in advance.
- Director would cast people on the street: Pretzel vendor, Newsstand guy, Couple for photo with mounted police x 4 takes in 2 minutes.
- Times Square shots were Luisa, Director, and DP. Director would clear a path behind DP who walked backwards ahead of Luisa.
- They would wait until the crowd density was suitable then move with the crowd.
- Although they had permits, because the three of them were so unobtrusive no one asked to see their permits.
- They were largely ignored by passers by when recording video, however when they were recording audio with only a microphone that's when the director attracted the most unwanted attention of assorted "Hi, Mom!"s and such.
- Craigslist casting call rendered 300 replies for standing intersection scene with hands.
- Times Square scenes audio recorded in stereo.
- Although the director had their own extras help Luisa up from her deliberate (unpadded) falls strangers and bystanders attempted to help as well.
- Girls in bathroom were Craigslist cast, brought two friends, director told them the story she had overheard herself but encouraged them to improv.
- Had interns photograph bathrooms all around the city.
The business of the selected bathroom closed a week before they started filming.
They had to paint this one as an emergency.
- Zipper jam is unexpected transformation scene and theme for the film.
- Telephone dial tone was the only pre-recorded sound, all others are recorded on scene (although not necessarily at the same time as the video).
- Pretty much shot entire film in sequence.

- Facing criticism of film that there is no explanation of why she's doing this the director states the story isn't about "why", it's about what and how.
- Director asked Luisa to beg for money.
Luisa began by saying "Excuse me?", ignored.
Director told her to give them a reason, "I need change for a phone call". It worked much better.
Release forms signed immediately after recording.
- Director likes that she's now dependent upon the people she was about to destroy to provide her with the change for a phone call.
- Guy on the street was cast on the street a few days before selling his hip-hop album.
Given a written scene of events that had happened to the director, Guy improvised some.
- 100 other guys that interviewed for the role couldn't do it.
- Near very last scene sitting down was the only scene with extra lighting involving two people moving flashlights, and the only Times Square scene re-shot because the first take was too strong, too much, Director wanted it more contained.
Reshot the next night.
- Director didn't want an "ending"; she wanted an "interruption".

I'm going to guess the budget on this was somewhere between $50,000 and $200,000.
I think there's too many variables for an accurate guesstimation, but it's more than peanuts and less than a million, surely.

Last edited:
To crib a line from Dready,

I am fail. Sorry, Ray. :(

I'd watch it right now, but I'm about to start prepping for the Doc Challenge, which starts tomorrow.

So, by club rules, you are the only person eligible to make a suggestion for next month. In all fairness, I also think I should turn over the reigns to you, if you want to keep it alive. You are the new club pres, should you so accept that responsibility.

Though I didn't participate this month, I can say that I would intent to, next month. :)

I watched this a few weeks back. Just the actual film; don't care for the dvd commentaries.

This was a fairly good film. As Rayw mentioned, the re-watch factor is pretty low. Regardless, it's not a waste of time to watch it. In fact, highly recommended for anyone looking to steal shots as the crew in this appear to do throughout.

I'll edit some more content into this post in the morn. For now, just wanted to let the MoMo Club know that they're loved.
smiley_hug.gif

Likewise, I've been busier than I expected this month. I have not had time, which makes me very very sad, doubly so after ray wrote up some fantastic notes (which I haven't read yet, because I want to watch the film first). So I will be late to the discussion, but I'm sure I'll have something to say when I get to it.

I usually do. Can't seem to shut me up ;)

So, by club rules, you are the only person eligible to make a suggestion for next month. In all fairness, I also think I should turn over the reigns to you, if you want to keep it alive. You are the new club pres, should you so accept that responsibility.
Life happens. :lol:
I think we're all cool with that. :cool:

I dunno about taking the reigns.
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but pretty consistently it seems that I have a different idea about the point & purpose of a film club on a independent film forum should be about.

I like reverse engineering things, see what happened, good or bad, for any takeaways. :hmm:

If I were to select one for March, it'd be: http://www.hulu.com/watch/110127/angel-of-death?c=Action-and-Adventure
It was originally developed as a web series, something that may be more germane to indie filmmaking considering the prospects of theatrical distribution is a laugh, indie distribution still pretty d@mn unlikely, VOD only sliiiiightly better, and DIY distribution the best bet for most of us.

I dunno.

In fact, highly recommended for anyone looking to steal shots as the crew in this appear to do throughout.

I'll edit some more content into this post in the morn.
Which is exactly why I picked it. It looked very "doable"; that any one of us could plan and execute this story.
I look forward to your additional content whenever you have the time. :yes:

I have not had time, which makes me very very sad, doubly so after ray wrote up some fantastic notes (which I haven't read yet, because I want to watch the film first). So I will be late to the discussion, but I'm sure I'll have something to say when I get to it.
Thanks, Steve.
However, I'm feeling very self-conscious now about my contributions. :(

If you're going to NetFlix it you might benefit from at least reading the Director's Commentary notes before watching it. There's no real cat-out-of-the-bag spoilers in there. The premise is pretty darn simple, the film's an exercise in execution.
I look forward to your notes, as well.

Anyone wanna try the Movie of the Month Club thissa way?

Pick a FREE movie
- Big Budget Action ($50m): http://www.youtube.com/movie/the-international
- Made for Web Series Action: http://www.hulu.com/watch/110127/angel-of-death?c=Action-and-Adventure
- Foreign Action (Korean): http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2337709081/

Deconstruct it, analyze how the characters, situation, and decisions move the story along.
Consider the locations, talent, props, vehicles, costumes, and filming+lighting equipment resources utilized.
Note the camera shots.
Note the audio.
How would you modify the story and write it for yourself to shoot?

Throw up whatever notes you made here the last week of the month.

You mean everyone picks one of the three selections and writes about it or do you want to keep the voting system?

Anyway, I am still in, no matter how the "rules" change.

I'm game for the "pick one" and ditching the voting process which seemed problematic as selections were not available to all.

Pick one that YOU wanna watch or are willing to watch.

No voting.
Just picking, watching, and analyzing.

Back