This is how it's done...

I'm about halfway through the second disc.

THIS SERIES CHANGES EVERYTHING.

I knew I was an amateur, but the sheer depth of what I now see I didn't know is staggering. This is a complete camerawork school crammed into six DVDs and I can't recommend it enough. I am so glad I bought this before diving into my first feature.

Hollywood Camera Works has completely changed the way I think about telling a story with the camera. I highly highly highly recommend it (even though they're dryer than your grandmother's Merlot.)

In pre-production, and in production, what sort of things need to be considered to excecute this effectively?

In pre-production you must know what your post house can and can't do before you shoot. When planning shots you may want to gather your stock video or plan to shoot your b-roll footage first. knowing what you are going to put in the background and having that organized and/or shot (or at least test shot) before doing the principal can help in working out the composition ahead of time.

Plan every shot and work with the DP and VFX guys to find a balance between their needs. Work with the Art department to ensure all props and wardrobe are friendly to key. Make sure the blocking works with the key and if you have markers that they are present in shots. we need those little x's and funky shapes for match moving and tracking.

Also the proper choices of lenses and even camera can have a huge impact on how a shot keys. Logging camera position, moves, focal length, type of camera, lens, lighting, etc will help alot in post if the match is going to be tricky.

Try to reduce motion blur in the camera if at all possible. The cleaner the image the better.

In pre-production you must know what your post house can and can't do before you shoot. When planning shots you may want to gather your stock video or plan to shoot your b-roll footage first. knowing what you are going to put in the background and having that organized and/or shot (or at least test shot) before doing the principal can help in working out the composition ahead of time.

Plan every shot and work with the DP and VFX guys to find a balance between their needs. Work with the Art department to ensure all props and wardrobe are friendly to key. Make sure the blocking works with the key and if you have markers that they are present in shots. we need those little x's and funky shapes for match moving and tracking.

Also the proper choices of lenses and even camera can have a huge impact on how a shot keys. Logging camera position, moves, focal length, type of camera, lens, lighting, etc will help alot in post if the match is going to be tricky.

Try to reduce motion blur in the camera if at all possible. The cleaner the image the better.

Great Post. Great info. Can you elaborate a little on how one should go about making the choices on lenses and camera. Can you recommend good choices?
Thanks,
aveek

Great Post. Great info.
Agreed.

This is why as a nube director/producer I feel it appropriate to develop a working knowledge of how all department synthesize together.

If all I know is one job then I cannot AS EFFECTIVELY integrate that skill into the system as a whole.
The final product will be better if everyone knows 100% of their job + 10% of everyone else's.

(Sadly, it often seems like too many people know only 60% of their own job and are only vaguely cognizant of the jobs of others).

Great Post. Great info. Can you elaborate a little on how one should go about making the choices on lenses and camera. Can you recommend good choices?
Thanks,
aveek

Sorry for delay out of town for a spell.

Choice of camera:
Obviously budget is the biggest factor. Beyond that you need to pick a camera that best handles the subject matter as some cameras do better with action than others. For instance DSLR's and the rolling shutter can make some fx shots and keying hard, or some of the dvx cams are not so great with motion blur and some pieces will have to be roto'd and some fake blur added to match in post.

Lenses:
Try to pick ones with as little distortion as possible for a key shot. A fish eye is typically not the best choice.
Also you need to log the type of lens used to match in post.

Sorry for delay out of town for a spell.

Choice of camera:
Obviously budget is the biggest factor. Beyond that you need to pick a camera that best handles the subject matter as some cameras do better with action than others. For instance DSLR's and the rolling shutter can make some fx shots and keying hard, or some of the dvx cams are not so great with motion blur and some pieces will have to be roto'd and some fake blur added to match in post.

Lenses:
Try to pick ones with as little distortion as possible for a key shot. A fish eye is typically not the best choice.
Also you need to log the type of lens used to match in post.

Back