Putting it all together in 2011

Make a specific list of what you'd buy if you had $6K and wanted to make a series of docudrama shorts and perhaps long-form stories for the screen. You'd be shooting indoors and out with a cast of no more than four speaking at any time, standing, seated, and playing golf in windy conditions and harsh light, and your crew would be you and sometimes your wife. You have your Mac-based 2011 iMac, you're using CS5 as your NLE suite, you have Nikon's best glass for your D2X (which does not have HD video). You know how to do the basics alone, but you are tired of checking out the borrowed Sony HVRHD1000U and equipment from your community station (that is never available when you need it), and is too weak for what you want to do anyway (meaning the 1/3" sensors and codec just don't cut it). You are about to put together your own set-up, knowing what's here now or around the corner (meaning it is en route to B&H, not a RED Scarlet pipe-dream), how would you take the $6K and break it down into lights, camera, adapters, tripod, boom, mics, recorder, media, etc.?

Last edited:

Screen-quality footage is caught how? Cineform+D7000+existing glass+Beachbox? You can't come up with an audio package that, with good technique, gets you through the paces for less than $2500?

As much as they mouth the words "I understand that sound is important" they always want to cheap out on the sound...

Okay, substitute the Tascam DR-100 for the PMD-661, the Audio-Technica AT-875 for the AT-897 and the Oktava mk-012 for the AT4053b. Now you're at prosumer rather than entry level professional.

This means he has another 500 to spend if he buys your kit.

Roc, I don't own a production sound kit, I rent what I need for field work. That allows me to play with new toys a lot. And it would be another $25k to match my gear and software - and that doesn't include building the room!

As much as they mouth the words "I understand that sound is important" they always want to cheap out on the sound...

Okay, substitute the Tascam DR-100 for the PMD-661, the Audio-Technica AT-875 for the AT-897 and the Oktava mk-012 for the AT4053b. Now you're at prosumer rather than entry level professional.

Roc, I don't own a production sound kit, I rent what I need for field work. That allows me to play with new toys a lot. And it would be another $25k to match my gear and software - and that doesn't include building the room!

Ouch! Okay, stet on your original recommendation....

Back