Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Media Formats > HD

Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Sidewalkbowling
Basic Member

hdv and windows :\

I've just been using the windows dv capture encoder program, which doesn't deinterlace the hdv footage afaik.

So I installed the sony vegas pro trial, but it doesn't recognize my camera for some reason. Still, I found the deinterlace option in project properties or whichever dialogue box it was, so now I can open up the .wmv files that get saved on my computer in vegas pro, and I think it deinterlaces them when I re-render them (as wmv's), but I don't exactly know.

I skimmed the wikipedia page about the wmv9 codec, but I'm still at a loss to understand if A.) The wmv files are being deinterlaced after being imported, and not captured, in vegas pro, and B.) if the windows vista encoder-captured .wmv files are the highest calibre for editing and uploading.

Youtube maxes out the resolution of my vids at 480p, which, I don't know, is because I have a free account, or because I need a better dv-capture program.
Sidewalkbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Sidewalkbowling
Basic Member

nm, I didn't realize that despite recording in hdv there was another setting for only exporting regular dv.
Sidewalkbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
sonnyboo
Basic - Premiere Expired

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewalkbowling View Post
B.) if the windows vista encoder-captured .wmv files are the highest calibre for editing and uploading.
Windows Media Video (*.wmv) is a horrid file format for editing.

You may want to consider something like the inexpensive Adobe Premiere Elements. You will find a lot more options for capturing and editing will be vastly easier with much higher quality results. You can even output directly to HD formats for YouTube.
sonnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
DirtyPicturesTV
Basic Member

The idea of using WMV format, at all, makes me cringe.

YouTube does not magically bump up your footage to HD -- you have to upload HD.

The ideal size and codec is, as YouTube recommends, 720p H.264 (though I recommend the open source x264 codec, as I think it leads to better results). By uploading the HD version, all of the smaller versions will automatically be created by YouTube.

But for the love of all that is holy, stay away from WMV format -- it's evil, I tell you. EVIL!
DirtyPicturesTV is offline   Reply With Quote