Getting the "Semi-Transparent" look through editing.

Hope I can get help with this.

I currently am trying to film and edit a scene where I want one of the characters to be semi-transparent(like a spirit)sitting in a solid looking chair. I have Adobe Premiere, and I am wondering is it a similar process to making someone "disappear"(filming scene with character, then filming same area without and dissolving)?
I haven't tried it yet, but would this be a) filming the chair, b) filming person in chair with same angle and c) changing opacity of person in chair and overlaying with "chair only scene" and/or Video Merging?

Or is there an easier way to do it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What you do is film the scene without the person.
Then you seperately film the person in the pose you want against a green or blue screen. Then you should be able to use a chroma keyer feature to key out the blue/green.
Then you layer the video with the character into position over the other video of the scene.
You should then be able to simply lower the opacity of the video of the character making them ghostly.

You could even add some glow or blur effects.

Actually, Tinalera, I think the method you describe is easier than keying. The only hitch would be if you have another person in the shot that you want to appear solid. That actor either has to not move at all or you need to combine the shots with a split screen.

If I were you, I'd do it exactly as you describe...oh, wait, I DID do that in my most recent film! :)

keying is actually pretty easy.
But doing it your way there are some flaws. If you filmed the whole sene with the person and the whole scene with out the person. Then lowered the opacity of the of the footage with the person and overlayed it, it wouldn't line up properly. You'd get a ghost image of the whole scene.
If you want to have just the person ghosted, you have to key it or get something like adobe after effects which allows more hands on manipulation than premiere.

Basically, the method you are describing is a "lock off" shot, meaning on a tripod with no movement because the 2 shots won't match up. As long as the non-ghost actors don't overlap the actor playing the ghost, you should be fine. Put the "real" world on a lower video track, underneath the "ghost" video, then lower the opacity, exactly as you described.

The typical thing is exactly as described, use some glow and blur effects to sell the idea.

You can create masks in After Effects that aren't as effective in Premiere, so you may want to learn the basics of AE.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions so far!

I tried the one I described, and it works pretty well, though I hadn't thought of using the blue/green screening!

The two characters sit at opposite sides of a table, and in my test runs it seems to be working fairly well.

I may try the screening and see what result it gives me.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :)

Back