IndieTalk Film Festival?

Ha Ha you guys crack me up. I think it's a great Idea, and sorry but yes prizes need to be handed out. T shirts are perfect. When I get T shirts made im willing to give one away. Sounds good I'm in.

I think it's a great idea! Where would it be if it wasn't online?

I saw something on TV about some B.C. film makers who got rejected by the festival in their town, so they threw their own festival and invited 3 other film makers to show their films, and rented a theater for half the day and made a great spin of being rejected. It would be cool to have a rejectee-film festival! because just because they were rejected, doesn't mean they are not good and I bet everyone here has a film worth watching!

Revitalize the thread!

Hmmm might be interesting to revitalise this thread...

I do think the a film festival would be great, especially as the boards are starting to grow bigger and bigger!

If you did it online with the public voting, it could be open to abuse. But you could get round that situation with a Judge or a panel of judges.
If you didn't do it online you have the money factor. But not just money, the majority of this site is US filmmakers, so it would make sense for the festival to be held in the US - that would mean some of us poor and broke UK filmmakers would sadly miss it :(

What would be interesting is if a festival was started up, you could make a bit of 'support cash' from it by creating a DVD of the top 10 or top 20 short films and selling it on the site! Exposure for the artist and revenue for the talk! rad...

Keep this thread alive!!!!!!

Sounds like a good idea and online is the way to go. In some ways we already have a running festival with the great work I have seen so far, and truly it should be the community picking them rather than a panel of judges. Then we don't have to count on a few people having their coffee.

Peace,
Redemption

Cyber Cannes

My prediction is that we are rapidly moving towards digital distribution. In which case the idea of a cyber Cannes isn't a bad idea.

I think the issue of judging is a difficult one, it would be nice to see a panel of established independent film makers supporting the project. I'd certainly support any online festival that had the intention of attracting larger audiences to our work and also the interest of distributors, which is for the most case what festivals are about.

If, however, the idea is just to do something in house, for our own amusement, I don't see that it takes us much further than the screening room. In fact, it may be a retro grade step, adding competition into what is currently a supportive environment.

As someone who has, in the past, shamelessly manipulated on-line short film competitions to market my own work, I don't need to tell you how easy it is hi-jack any system based on voting, especially if you've lots of mates and a creative turn of mind, which, if you think about it is pretty much everyone here.

I am, however, very excited about T-shirts and lollipops.

Maybe there is an event in that, a film festival with no judges, that awards a lollipop to all everyone in the audience. Get them hyped on sugar before they see the film.

Re: Cyber Cannes

clive said:
My prediction is that we are rapidly moving towards digital distribution. In which case the idea of a cyber Cannes isn't a bad idea.
I'm not positive, but I believe there IS an online Sundance Film Festival. Kind of weird...probably not as prestigious, haha.

Agreed

I think that's a great idea. Online is really the best way to go because there's people all over the world on this website and it would be hard to get together in person (even though I'd like to meet alot of you). Maybe you can give away a T-shirt and a lollipop, or a T-shirt with a lollipop design on it. Or a million dollars!! That way everyone would be somewhat happy. :lol:

If we go the route of actually having judges and doing this thing up like a real fest, I think the prize should be something substantial like a copy of Final Draft or something.

Poke

Yea!!

I agree with you Poke. The satisfaction of winning would be great but if I were to win I don't think the lollipop would cut it. Like you said maybe a copy of final draft, movie magic screenwriter, or maybe some type of editing software.
~Kyle~

i like the idea of having judges so people dont just get all there friends to register and vote,if everyone throws in like 10 bucks when they submit there film that should cover a copy of some sort of film makers softwhere.

Well, one step at a time.

Charging entry fees, dollar-value prizes and having "pro" judges would require a few legal hoops to take care of. Plus, there is no way to really estimate how many entries will be coming in. There may turn out to be only two or three submissions. (Gulp). If there is a substantial amount of submissions, then future competitions would definitely need more thorough planning.

For starters though, it's in the spirit of fun... and responding to a challenge. (And I really hope noone would be lame enough to spam-vote their own entry to win a simple banner)

By the way, genre announcement time has been changed to earlier in the day on Friday... I'm supposed to be somewhere later that day, conflicting with original time. :shock:

Back