Need your help - projecting a DVD copied from mini DV

It's my understanding that both mini DV and DVD's have a 720 x 480 pixel count. So here's my question. If I dump a mini DV and burn it to DVD, and then decide to project the DVD onto a screen (using a rear screen projector) what is the maximum size image I can plan to project and still maintain acceptable resolution? Keep in mind that I understand "acceptable" is a subjective term. Any experience out there pertaining to this question? The mini DV was created with an XL1 and the results viewed on a monitor are excellent in terms of color and lighting.

All input appreciated...

Regards,

Hutch

Hey Hutch! Another ATL person. :)

I can only tell you what I've "heard" hopefully others with more experience can tell you exactly. But sometimes some info is better than none.

Just because DVD is 720 x 480, the same as miniDV doesn't mean miniDV looks exactly like a movie, first off. miniDV cams usually have croma noise, croma abrations, and other issues. Truly they are not the "perfect" set of 720x480 from the start. That being said, any image can be projected as large as one might want it to be. Will it look good? Well if your audience is considerably far away from it, sure. More than likely those at the front of the theatre will think it looks bad and those at the back will think it looks okay.

If the movie is watchable, many people will "watch" it. The thing I hope that you take into consideration, which is the one thing I see indie's take the least amount of time in, is "post production" and color-correction. I've seen images come out of the XL-1 that almost look like it was shot on 16mm, then I've seen images come out that look like a very bad wedding video. Most indie's never take the time to make all images look as good as they possibly can. And this will hurt you many times more than your resolution will.

To be straight up, have you ever seen unprocessed 35mm film? It looks okay and it is grainy, believe it or not. You see the grains pop around, now a days to see that is rare, because Hollywood has created systems to remove the "presence of grain" in their images. Look at movies back in the 80s then the 90s then now. They were shooting on 35mm in the 80s! So you have your miniDV footage, which on average when shot with an XL-1 will be too colorful and a direct line of color. Saturation values will be off and high, low vales for luminosity will be all over the place. Take those images and rework them down to a nice consistency in post. This is the point where you'll start actually "fooling" people with what you "filmed" in. :)

Have fun!
pika

thanks...

Hi Elec,

Thanks for the response. Good insights!

I had the good fortune of bringing in some great folks on the crew. Despite the fact that there are always things we wish we could go back and do differently, I am delighted in general. And so we are lined up for our premiere (fancy screening :D ) on May 10. I'm running a screen test tomorrow to ensure the projector settings, screen, lighting and sound are optimized. It's a great facility and I'm quite optimistic about the whole thing. Please join us if you are free. Information is posted at our website listed below. No charge for admission.

Regards,

Hutch DeLoach

Back