Got a question here...

Ok, so I want to use the name "B.W. Productions" but I found out there is a site that already has the name B.W. Productions, but it's a lot different then from what I'm doing...
I've been to their site, and it seems it must be just some music choir thing or whatever... I've seen some of their videos, and most of it was just showing kids on the stage singing and dancing... and there was just one camera.

I noticed that the company doesn't have a LLC on the site, or a DBA.

I'm thinking it might go out in 2012 or sometime... Should I just use another domain name? I've thought about using .us for it, since it'll be based in the US.

LLCs don't matter, TMs/SMs do. Personally I like to have the .com of my business name. Have you considered changing the company name?

A.V., Digital, Media, Productions, Films, Group, Entertainment, Arts, Pictures, Motion Pictures, Studios...

You should really only worry about what the name will be for your business and what kind of legal entity it will be. Then just research if that name is available to use in your state. There can be a bunch of different companies all over the place with the same name as yours, but your main concern is whether or not you can use the name in the state where you do business. The domain name you buy for your website can be fudged around with afterwards. You can use hyphens, spell things out or abbreviate (for example, if bwproductions.com is taken, try bwp.com or bwprodco.com, or whatever) -- you can play around with all kinds of adjustments, for your website. The more important thing is your business name as a legal entity, how your company is set up (LLC, S-corp., etc.), that it doesn't infringe on a trademark, business licenses needed where you are, taxes, etc.

Last edited:
If they don't have a trademark for their name then they'd need to prove that their company name is "famous" to succeed in bringing a legal action against you. Sounds like they are anything BUT famous! Hardly an eminent threat! Furthermore we're talking about 2 letters of the alphabet (B and W). I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Back