Swag for a signing event

We've got a DVD signing event coming up in about six weeks, to plug our recent flick, and we decided that we'd have to have some swag to hand out.

We've ordered the obligatory movie business cards, postcards, some bumper stickers & buttons - and then our amazinngly creative ideas got stumped.

We're also getting a few T-shirts, but not many as they're not terribly cost effective.

Keeping in mind that we're down to $500 for promotional gimmicks/goodies, what else would be cool (or even sensible) to get? We'd like to have a variety of stuff - not just a whole bunch of one thing.

Cheers. :beer:

Bottle opener key chains! The only key chain I would save is one that opens a beer. And if your movie logo is on it... bonus!

Fridge magnets, flashlights, pens, maybe even pen knifes (fit in with a horror film!), ball caps (a little pricey), Sun visors (a little cheaper), mugs (not your mug shots, but coffee mugs), water bottles, golf balls, mouse pads, post it notes, etc.

There are a ton of places on the net that you can order this stuff from...the more you order the cheaper it is. Some have discounts on first orders, and take your "logo" for free. Here are a couple off of a google search, but none that I've used before.

http://www.gopromos.com/

http://www.norwood.com/

http://www.epromos.com/

http://www.allsorts-online.com/

Chris

P.S. Oh yeah, another idea that I've used is you buy what ever cheap item from like Big Lots, or the dollar store. If you have a color laser printer, get clear Avery labels, print out your own graphics, and put the label on what ever you want. It looks pretty good depending upon how well you fit it to the product.

PPS Are you trying to tell us that you only drink good imported beer Indie? Most of the beer I drink have twist tops!

Last edited:
I'm just curious because I've always had a problem promoting anything I've done. I used to just hand out my cassettes to people. Though I must admit I sold one cassette overseas and it landed me the best gig of my life. Also, my last.

Where are you having the signing? How did it come about?

Not to be rude, because I don't know you're background (and it goes into my own insecurities about all my own work) why should people show up and buy a movie that they've never heard of?

Thanks.

IndieTalk said:
It's probably set up by the distributor

Would seem logical, but that's not how it happened.

Long story that I can't detail here. A rep from the distributor will be there, though.

ussinners said:
I used to just hand out my cassettes to people. Though I must admit I sold one cassette overseas and it landed me the best gig of my life. Also, my last.

What was that gig, btw?

I've written about how it all fell into our lap in a different forum section. Noone was expecting it, but that's pretty much what we did. Send it out.

ussinners said:
Where are you having the signing?

It's happening here. :cool:

Would be nice to update that with more info, but I can't find the edit button. I am numpty.

ussinners said:
How did it come about?

Mana from heaven. I ain't kidding.

ussinners said:
why should people show up and buy a movie that they've never heard of?

Because I'm awesome? Well, maybe not as awesome as these guys, but...

Actually, I really don't know the answer to that.

Cibao said:
Most of the beer I drink have twist tops!

Learn how to home-brew. Gah!

Thanks to everyone for the links to promo gear. Got lots of good ideas out of that.

Shirts are great. If you have a well designed shirt...it might sell really well. We sell our shirts for $20, and many times we move a handful of them.

We also have regular posters, and we either raffle or auction off a signed poster (we once got a signed poster to auction for $35...not too shabby).

We also sell all of our other previous films at the table. Once we raffled off one of our nun habits used in a film...people were excited to get one of those.

:)

Last edited:
Ta, more good ideas.

Sadly, the stringdraw bags won't work - totally awesome, but then we'd have to get extra swag to shove inside them.

Michael1, good ideas too, but we aren't selling of these these (just going for the free swag thing, for those who show up)... but we'll likely hit up a horror convention or something, and good idea for selling extras there. :)

Ta, more good ideas.

Sadly, the stringdraw bags won't work - totally awesome, but then we'd have to get extra swag to shove inside them.

Michael1, good ideas too, but we aren't selling of these these (just going for the free swag thing, for those who show up)... but we'll likely hit up a horror convention or something, and good idea for selling extras there. :)

Oh right...free swag...duh, sorry.

Buttons.
Stickers.
Window Decals.

Not sure. :) Good luck.

How many people are you expecting at this event? Rather, how many swag bags are you putting together? Knowing that would help with suggestions.

Business cards, postcards, etc., are a must. Personally, however, I always wind up tossing most of the other cheesy stamped logo stuff I get as giveaways, unless it's really useful (one giveaway I always use is this little cellphone caddy that sits on my desk). When I think "swag" I think of something more "gifty" than promo. You could partner up with local businesses that may want to contribute something to your swag bag, like gift certificates for their services or something.

Last edited:
Back