It's "indie" for me, because...

I'm into "indie" because...

• Making movies is part-time, or hobby at best. It's fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's an easy stepping-stone to get actual needed experience!

• I'm a money-bags, but reject Hollywood's so-called "vision" of what film is about.

• Hollywood wouldn't touch me with a 10-foot pole.

• Total voters
...well, why?

Some annoyingly limited options above to choose from, that aim to try and describe why "indie" is your "thing". 8)

Certainly annoying limited indeed.
I wouldnt say im really ''into'' indie, but neither would I say that Im using it as a stepping stone to move up. I just enjoy the process of movie-making, plain and simple.
Id do it for the rest of my life as long as i was fed and had a place to sleep.

I need money!!!!

Especially if I expect to do my first feature next year!!!!

I also think, though, that, for the most part, Hollywood has a limited vision. Limited by the idea that releasing "risky" films may not make them any money. Hollywood usually sticks to safe formulaic scripts. Put Hollywood's resources together with indie-like ideas and creativity, and you'll get great films.

To me being an "indie" filmmaker is too broad. There's people who are "indie" because they just haven't made it yet, then there's other "indies" who are not buying the values of Hollywood and are out to make their own stuff happen, which is really cool, adds a nice variety. Me personally, being an indie means you do it because you love it and you aren't waiting around for a hollywood muckymuck to pick you up. The technology of today allows a lot of people to make films a lot easier without "the studios"

i say fuck money zen knows what i mean,i just like indie cuse its not all about the big bucks its about getting your story out.

I don't want money to live a certain lifestyle...I want money to spend on making films.

Money makes things easier when it comes to filmmaking. That's what I meant earlier.

I could be happy if I just lived in a duplex for the rest of my life...as long as I can have a good time.

I like the indie aesthetic because it allows me to tell stories outside the normal boundaries. Granted, it doesn't mean you HAVE to push the envelope every time out, but it certainly means you CAN. Less money invested means less money to be recouped, and therefore you don't have to appeal to The Broadest Possible Audience.

Therefore, that musical you've always wanted to film featuring ice-skating hamsters means you're "indie." (Or insane, but those terms are interchangeable at the root...)

Film is an art, and to me art is a form of emotional expression. I don't think Hollywood understands that, and so I voted the last option

I'm all for emotional expression as well Tine. In fact anything I write is based initially upon an emotion I wish to convey. The story always seems to come second for me.

christdrinkspee said:
i say fuck money zen knows what i mean,i just like indie cuse its not all about the big bucks its about getting your story out.

You obviouslly dont have children to support :D

I think the bottom line is there is an establishment in the Entertainment world and they controll the payments and profits.

Im sure if you find the right distributer you can make good money.

I heard that it cost 10,000 bucks to make Blair Witch but the 2 guys who put it together got a cool million for it. Now that was a hard sell and yet with good marketing that movie made something like 247 million at the box office alone.

I know that is rare to do but it can be done.

Im in it for the fun of making films but I really want to make money. not just for my personal needs but so I can fund other projects and one day afford to film a movie in high quality 35mm or high quality Digital.

But in short there is a broad definition for indie work.

Some people just want to make 20 minute shorts and just attend festivals for the pure enjoinment of being around others who share the same interest of art.

And some want to be the next tarantino (Like me :D)

I only wish this kind of Digital Technology existed 20 years ago when i was young. Im 38 now and though its not over the hill im coming close to the top of it and need to acts fast.

But even Colonial Sanders didnt become rich until age 57. He failed 20 attemps to becoming rich before he made it big in the fast food industry.

Its never to late to make a movie until you buy the farm.

King Goldfish said:
christdrinkspee said:

How do you know they don't have another way of making money? That's why I'm in photography school, you can make money at it and only work a couple days a week. This way I can be a film maker and still support myself.

Tine said:
King Goldfish said:
christdrinkspee said:

How do you know they don't have another way of making money? That's why I'm in photography school, you can make money at it and only work a couple days a week. This way I can be a film maker and still support myself.

pssst.. *whispers*

I was kidding!!

seriouslly man.. make money anyway you can. I agree.. do it more for the joy of making film. But i look at it in a way that Why should i do all this work and have some guy say he took all the risks and wants 85% of the take.

must be nice to be a film distributer.

Back