Suggestions for Film School

I'm going into 11th grade this coming August and I really want to go to film school and learn about writing and directing movies. The first thing I wanted to ask is what should I do that will get their (film schools) attention? My school doesn't have many good extracurricular activities involving film. I work alot on my own, but i think that alot of that will go unnoticed because it isn't associated with school. I was just curious about what you guys think I should do?

Also what are some good schools that I should look into?

Ithaca College would be worth a look.

Their School of Communications is broken up into several areas, including film/cinema & radio/tv.

I'm probably a bit biased about how great Ithaca is (having lived there for 12 years), but I'd say it is the best city in the US, period.

I have no idea how it rates against other film schools.

If you have built up a little library of your own work that can be used for college admissions, it won't matter if it's not "associated" with your current high-school. Admissions review will be looking to see what you have done/can do, as opposed to a seal of approval from your school.

Ithaca is gorges! - You'll need that punny bumpersticker there ;)

Good luck!

It depends what you're looking for, and where your located. If you want to get some great experiance, there's a little Film Boot Camp up here. It's about $1000 (though there are bursaries and scholarships available), and you make a movie in six days. It's a great way to have something to show, if you don't have much, and you learn a lot, too.

Check out www.giftsfilms.com

Ha, well I just went through that whole experience of applying to film schools. Typically the schools are looking for good storytellers, so if you can write a really great short story, or do so with still photographs, or something like that, it would help a lot. Also be persistent and let them know you exist! The schools that I applied to weren't looking for people with experience, just people with a strong message and a lot of creativity

Zensteve, you lived in Ithica?

I used to live up that way (not in Ithica, but fairly close) and my grandma lives up there now, so im up there quite a bit. What part of Ithica are you from?

BTW, I am in the same boat, Mr. Blone. I am going into my junior year in August, so I will be looking for a film school as well. I've checked out some good schools in Cali, like UCSC and several others. You can try Princetonreview.com and other sites, but that one gives you the best searchs I think for colleges, as well as things like internships and such. Feel free to PM me any time if you want to "compare notes", or you can e-mail me or IM at Jaminme@aol.com.

Take care.

I'll put in my vote for avoiding the 'trade' schools, and going with an undergraduate degree in something that interests you (including film, should you prefer).

Depending on your goals, there are a lot of folks who study film at the graduate level rather than undergrad. This is one approach, no more valid than any other though.

So are the 'trade' schools, but perhaps not for everyone. There are dozens of resources for researching schools online, keep looking, ask people who've attended. As a graduate of an "Art Institutes International" program (pretty much right out high school) as well as a graduate of San Francisco State (many years later, BA in Film), I can tell you I wish I had not spent all that money/student loan debt on the AII program. Too much money for what was essentially highly specialized equipment training with little background fundamentals. Others will disagree and say that 4 year college is a waste of time, blah, blah blah.

My opinion: 4 year college. All the way, major in anything. History, communications, film studies, whatever. Study things that interest you, enjoy your time in college (not too much though) and that will help to refine your goals in film and in life. I'm a big believer in a college education. Even if you decide you want to be in a technical department (say a gaffer rather than directing/writing/producing) I think there's value in a 4 year degree. Heck, if you wanted to be a gaffer study electricity, phyiscs (light), and engineering (grip-o-nomics) and have a huge head start on the theoretical aspects of that department's craft.

Last bit of advice:

Beware of links or information posted by folks with a recent join date and a post count of 1. (see post that precedes this one) They are often (not always) pimping a product of theirs in some fashion. Apologies to liptrick if this is not the case, or in fact, if you happen to be hawking a very useful site. Just letting the OP know the territory.

Last edited:
I'll put in my vote for avoiding the 'trade' schools, and going with an undergraduate degree in something that interests you (including film, should you prefer).

Depending on your goals, there are a lot of folks who study film at the graduate level rather than undergrad. This is one approach, no more valid than any other though.

So are the 'trade' schools, but perhaps not for everyone. There are dozens of resources for researching schools online, keep looking, ask people who've attended. As a graduate of an "Art Institutes International" program (pretty much right out high school) as well as a graduate of San Francisco State (many years later, BA in Film), I can tell you I wish I had not spent all that money/student loan debt on the AII program. Too much money for what was essentially highly specialized equipment training with little background fundamentals. Others will disagree and say that 4 year college is a waste of time, blah, blah blah.

My opinion: 4 year college. All the way, major in anything. History, communications, film studies, whatever. Study things that interest you, enjoy your time in college (not too much though) and that will help to refine your goals in film and in life. I'm a big believer in a college education. Even if you decide you want to be in a technical department (say a gaffer rather than directing/writing/producing) I think there's value in a 4 year degree. Heck, if you wanted to be a gaffer study electricity, phyiscs (light), and engineering (grip-o-nomics) and have a huge head start on the theoretical aspects of that department's craft.

Last bit of advice:

Beware of links or information posted by folks with a recent join date and a post count of 1. (see post that precedes this one) They are often (not always) pimping a product of theirs in some fashion. Apologies to liptrick if this is not the case, or in fact, if you happen to be hawking a very useful site. Just letting the OP know the territory.

Although it's not "film", but if you're wanting to look outside the box, Mohawk in Hamilton and there's a college in London Ontario(the name escapes me) who do 3 year TV/Media programs they (may) be a lower cost alternative that would teach you a lot of stuff that applies in both fields.

Funny you mention Sheridan, take it for what it's worth, but I'm hearing contrary things (grain of salt). I understand its VERY hard to get into unless you've got primo grades/qualifications. The other is that you're really spending a lot(ALOT) of money for stuff you can learn at other film schools for a lower cost-Sheridan isn't necessarily the be all and end all anymore-again, research it.

Don't know if others have heard different, or maybe those who have gone to it the past number of years can give their more informed opinion.

Ha, well I just went through that whole experience of applying to film schools. Typically the schools are looking for good storytellers, so if you can write a really great short story, or do so with still photographs, or something like that, it would help a lot. Also be persistent and let them know you exist! The schools that I applied to weren't looking for people with experience, just people with a strong message and a lot of creativity

and which schools were those?

If you don't have the money, the best film school is reading these boards as much as you can and going out and doing it yourself and getting a reality on what it takes and making the mistakes and learning from them and going out and doing it again and again and again and again.

Meeting up with people who do it and can give you a helping start helps, too.

If you have an open schedule this summer, you might want to check out one of the many filmmaking workshops offered by the Maine Media Workshops. I have always been impressed with their program. And some of the folks I met are still a strong part of my movie making team here in Los Angeles.

I lived in Ithaca/went to Ithaca College and it really is a great school. I studied Video Production (TV-R which, was considered the lesser major to the Cinema students!) but I made the most of my experience by becoming a projectionist for film courses. I learned how to handle and project 16 mm, and I got to audit all of the film classes without having to pay for credits or take exams/write papers. I also took the photo classes.

Its an expensive school but I met a lot of great people there and there are some amazing professors that I owe my life to. Town is great too. I never realized how much I would actually miss Wegmans (the local supermarket). Some great hiking and swim holes too. You are close to the resources of Cornell, which has an amazing cinema with great programming too.

But in general, if you go to film school just try to make the most of everything else the school has to offer as well. As a filmmaker you are only as good as the stories you tell, and those stories are greatly enhanced by a well-rounded knowledge of the world around you. You can major in anything and then just take film courses, everything else you are learning will inform your work.

Back