Production Work Book?

I don't even know if there is such a thing, but I wanted something that maybe was like a fill in book that kind of organized everything, I guess something to organize, and help along with the production process, I don't know, I guess I am crazy

No, not crazy. I was just wondering. The closest thing I can think of that outlines the production process is Feature Film Making at Used Car Prices by Rick Schmidt, ISBN 0 14 02.4560 X. It’s a good place to start. For more information on concepts and techniques, I like The Filmmaker’s Handbook by Edward Pincus And Steven Ascher, ISBN 0-452-25526-0. There is a new edition on Amazon that has an expanded section on DV. This one deals almost exclusively with film. This will help you think about how to compose pictures that are more interesting.

Am I correct that you’re new to the practice? I would say that whatever you do, that no matter how much you read, working on a project is way more educational. Find a way to work on a project as a crew member in whatever department interests you; camera, production, grip, electric, art, editing, etc. Then work with someone different so you can see how they do it.

Good Luck!

Kinda new

I have produced one feature and have a million books on film production. I have written a half dozen scripts. What I am looking for is something (and again it is hard to explain, because I am not sure if something like this exsist) that can organize all my notes and paperwork, kinda fill in info book, thanks again. I am probably looking for something that isn't out there.

You can build your own. You can get a nice leather binder, and office supply stores sell all kinds of filler paper you can use, like budget spreadsheets, calendars, phone books, etc, that you can just put in the binder.

:wink:

The closest I can come to this is the Guerilla Film Maker's Handbook, which comes with a CD Rom, that contains all the forms and contracts you might need to organise your shoot.

Personally, I don't find their forms that useful. But, I think that is the nature of using other people's paperwork. Each production team works slightly differently and has different dynamics, therefore the paperwork to keep stuff on track will differ.

However, you could fairly easily create a pro-forma production file using their paperwork.

The Woman In Film organization has a very nice "Producer's Workbook" that tells you everything you need to know about building your project. It also has sample sheets of all kinds - permits, contracts, release forms...

You can order it from them, it's $150 or so if you're a member, or $200 if you're not (I think). And no, you don't have to be a woman to join!

I bought a $1 notebook in which I write down jokes, bits, treatments, character breakdowns, rough storyboards, script ideas, etc. for my future feature.

Do whatever feels right to you...

No matter what, though; just remember to write down your ideas as they come to you. Otherwise, you could lose them FOREVER!!!!

LOGAN L Productions said:
No matter what, though; just remember to write down your ideas as they come to you. Otherwise, you could lose them FOREVER!!!!
Tie a notebook to your bedpost ;)

Back