DVD-R camcorders

Just linking an article from good ol' NY Times, about the new lines of camcorders popping up that record directly to DVD.

Article is here

Article summary is:

These machines don't deliver the features, the flexibility or even the video quality you get from a MiniDV camcorder.

As an aside, I had someone give me a DVD from such a camcorder to edit last week. They forgot to "finalise" the disc before getting it to me... and as such it is totally unreadable. Big hassle.

Those things are purely gimmick. I asked a guy at Best Buy (or some store...I forgot) what was the best camera they had to offer. He said "probably that DVD camcorder". I then said, "I mean the best quality picture", and he showed me a different camera. What did he think I meant?!

Those are just made to sell. They don't revolutionize video or anything, you know what I mean? Their the pop stars of camcorders, just created to make a quick buck off of the unsuspecting consumer, who could buy two cameras of equal quality for the same price.

LOGAN L Productions said:
I asked a guy at Best Buy (or some store...I forgot) what was the best camera they had to offer. He said "probably that DVD camcorder". .
LOL well there's your problem. Never ask a store employee anything. Do your research on the net, here, and other places, walk into the store, and buy. ;)

First DVDR will never replace tape from a professional level because tape is such a more stable method of recording information. DVDRs can loose tracking and then the whole disk is lost. If tape has a problem you keep on rolling and just loose what’s on that section. Second, I think the miniDV compressor is more accurate than mpeg2. Mpeg is a lossy format and uses a predictive coding technique that runs for several frames until the next keyframe is taken. This means that if they keyframe is lost, predictive frames can not be generated, and blocks of information are lost. Additionally, it takes more processing power to edit with mpeg because if you want to edit on frame X, and it is not a keyframe, a new keyframe has to be generated, and this shifts the information for the rest of the information following it. What happens on most system is the mpeg is converted to frame independent format, editing is performed, and a new mpeg is created from the final product. This introduces additional compression problems. MPEG as a native format is really only used with live switching situations where frame accurate transitions are not required, and the program can just wait a few extra frames for the keyframe to arrive before making the transition.

film8ker said:
First DVDR will never replace tape from a professional level because tape is such a more stable method of recording information.
You should take it easy with "never".

I grew up in the days when we shot 8mm as home movies. Not even 10 years ago people were saying tape would never replace film on a professional level (there are people STILL saying NEVER). But technology is pushing us closer and closer to a time when motion picture film will be completely unnecessary for shooting or exhibiting.

Hell, I've read Government reports that said the airplane would never be a stable enough vehicle to use in warfare...

If it makes you feel better, consider the word “never” to mean “not in the foreseeable future,” - which is actually fairly short-term. This is as bad as being politically correct. But remember videotape has been in use for over 50 years, and is still the paramount medium. I foresee solid state recording mediums as being the wave of the future. It would theoretically have a longer shelf life and less opportunity for damage than videotape or - current - optical media.

film8ker said:
If it makes you feel better, consider the word “never” to mean “not in the foreseeable future,” - which is actually fairly short-term. This is as bad as being politically correct.
I apologize.

I was simply voicing my opinion. No need to make be "feel better" as I was not feeling bad. I'm sorry you feel my opinion is as bad as being politically correct. My intention was not to keep you from expressing yourself.

Zensteve said:
As an aside, I had someone give me a DVD from such a camcorder to edit last week. They forgot to "finalise" the disc before getting it to me... and as such it is totally unreadable. Big hassle.

Is there any software or documentation for how to read DVD-R's (that were NOT finalised) made in a camcorder in your home pc?

One of my friends gave me several 8mm DVD-R's to edit that were made in a Panasonic camcorder.
They also forgot to "finalise" every DVD-R, thus making them utterly useless due to the fact they broke(smashed) their camcorder.

----------
Here are some things I already tried:

-Panasonic VDR-M53 DVD-R Camcorder: Would read all discs and play video perfectly fine, but would not allow you to finalise them.
-Sony DCR-DVD101: Invalid Disc Error: Please Eject Disc.
-Liteon DVD+/-R/RW/RAM PC Drive: Empty Disc
-Liteon DVD-ROM: Invalid Format
-DVD Decrypter (both drives): Invalid Medium
----------

I really hate do do this, but I might have to Buy The Panasonic VDR-M53 (for $600) capture the video Via Firewire, then return the unit. That would, of course be VERY annoying.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
-James

there is a freeware softwrae that 'can' read those but it's not 100% guaranted, check to find out whta software they used to burn and then look at the company's website, I remembered at nero.com has a faq about this as well

Back