Exporting With Adobe Premiere Pro

Ok guys, i've been playing around a lot, and i havent found a good way to export my video and look good, or not have a huge ass file size. So someone....tell me how its done, tell me some tips, anything.

For streaming on the 'net?

There are a lot of things you'll have to trade off, to find the balance between file size, video quality, and video dimensions.

The Cinepak codec is pretty good.
MP4 is very good as well. (Not sure if that comes with Adobe Pro)

If compressing to a straming file, you'll want to have "Limit Data Rate" set to something, as well.

Can you give a bit of detail on how long it is, and how you'd like to show it?

For now i just want the filesize small, while keeping good/decent quality, i make a lot of stupid little clips, atleast until i get a good script going, but it always either is a huge file, or crappy quality :(

Would 2mb (per minute of footage) at 320x240 work?

Save Freako Asylum as an example, then open it and try the mp4 settings they used. You can get the details from the QT viewer or in Adobe.

If those codecs & settings don't suit, look around for other examples of video files on the 'net that seem of suitable quality & size that you require, and look up those settings. :)

The MPEG codecs will give you the best compression to file size ratio. Play with the keyframe settings and data rate to find one that works best for you. You can’t edit easily with MPEG because it’s a predictive extrapolation technique that requires previous frames to determine future frames, but for storage it should give good storage rates. One thing to keep in mind is that since you’re using Premiere, its native format is Windows AVI which is a uncompressed format. Any time you change formats you’ll loose quality and add imperfections. So if you intend to re-edit this material at any time, it won’t look as good and will gain compression artifacts. My best suggestion is to export to tape (there is minimal additional compression) for storage, or get an external fire wire hard drive. I have a 260GB Fantom Drive and it is excellent and reasonably priced (http://www.fantomdrives.com/). I also use Premiere.

Personally I use Premiere 6 to cut the movie - export it as a big ass uncompressed mega high quality file and then compress it using a great tool called 'VirtualDub' and a compressor called 'Xvid'.
The ending result is a movie of really high quality that is about 1/40th the original file size.
I suggest you all give it a try :)
Thats what ive been doing for years.

Yes I use virtualdub for deinterlacing too, sorry I forgot to mention that :)
You can deinterlace at the same time as when you are compresing with virtualdub - i use the 'field bob', and 'de-interlace' features for best results, and as i said i compress with Xvid.
Seen as its all free I see no reason why any of you shouldnt give it a try.

Here are the links;

http://www.xvid.org
http://www.virtualdub.org

I also use 'Media Player Classic' for playback, its brilliant and is compatible with any codec or aspect ratio or form of video.

Have fun.

Back