• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch new short Cia action film

ok i made a short action film trying to recreate the last scene in The bourne indentity where jason infiltrates the safehouse and i just made this short film for a bit of fun and also just going back to how i used to make action films, shot in one day with really fake guns and bourne music and a gunfight with cg muzzle flashes, heres the link i felt that the first 2 minutes were more uninteresting whereas it gets more exciting in the last minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQRfNfSzLDo

mainly i want crits or advice on editing and camera work

Last edited:
I really liked the camera work. And I thought it was put together really well. I'm sure you have much more experience in film than I, but I figured you would appreciate any feedback. Very suspenseful, which I am sure is what you were aiming for.

thanks mate, it would obviously look better if i had for example blank firing guns, good actors and a better location etc but then all im trying to do is practice my directing and editing until i can get hold of a bigger budget and a decent screenplay or maybe even write one myself

nice camera movment,i liked the little fight on the stairs,also was pretty good how it went into the streets,if i tried that around here id be swamped by police within minutes.

Paul

One question though, were do you get your music from. Are you using it legally because I have looked up and down the internet for some free stuff like it but I couldn't find a thing. Please let me know where you got the music, I am in need of some good suspense music for my next film that I will begin editing saturday.

I used bourne music for the sake of this production which i downloaded off the net using google but for my big productions i have an original composer

For a project done just for fun, this was pretty cool. It seems like you may be ready to take it a step further.

Since it was just for fun, I understand this short doesn't need improving...but for examples there were a few things that you would need to get rid of before you're taken seriously--things like fake guns (orange tip...you can easily fix this with a black sharpie), teenage actors playing spies, etc. You'll want to cast some quality actors once you do your first official gig. You also will want to get a fight/stunt choreographer to work out some stunts and falls for future action pictures. One of the reason many young indie film makers won't be taken seriously is because they cast too young. It's a sad truth...but if you want to be taken seriously as a film maker...you have to cast appropriately. A detective should be a person in their 30's...for real...a professor should be in their 40's...etc. Casting High School students in everything will not yield the results you may want. Again, this doesn't pertain to your short here...I know you are just playing around.

One thing I noticed on the technical side is there are a few shots where the camera has too slight a movement during a cut on a single character. This can work sometimes, but many times it will just look jerky. Make sure there is a good reason to cut to a different angle, and when you do, it doesn't read as skipped frames.

I think the hand-held work was pretty good for the most part. For an action film hand-held is acceptable...just be sure you understand that the majority of your film should be shot on a tripod (when not chasing someone or creating intense tension). Far too many indie directors go hand-held, and it looks horrid. Not nearly enough indie directors actual 'compose' shots...and those that DO compose shots look far superior to those that don't.

I'm not sure what--or even if you are--using some kind of make-shift steady cam situation...but you might want to look into implementing one...you can find some good home-made designs on line for cheap.

I think it was pretty cool. I like the composite of muzzle flash...that was pretty well done. And to get technical, if you have the gusto you can try and light near-by objects when the flash goes off...just make sure it's subtle, and you're good at it or it will look like shit. If done properly though, it is a great touch of realism.

And of course...as far as lighting...you used all nat lighting it looks like. When you shoot for real, you'll want to get a few can lights or peppers and have a lighting designer make your films pop, and add some depth.

Good start.

Last edited:
Back