Violent or Not

Everywhere I look all I see is, "Quentin Tarantino and his ultra violent movies." I don't get it. His films aren't as violent as everybody makes them seem. They're somewhat violent, but not nearly as bad as some people say. I'm just curious if I'm the only one who thinks that or what? Cuz to me any shitty teen horror flick has more violence than a few shootings in a QT movie. :lol:

He makes a caricature of the violence in Kill Bill, and therefore, it doesn't go unnoticed.

I agree, his films are not "too" violent, besides vol. 1 an dsome of pulp fiction. I dont consider reservoir dogs to be that violent of a film. the medias always made his films out to be more violent than they are.

QT's movies are violent. Too violent? What's that? It's either violent or it's not. Kinda like you're either pregnant or you're not. There's no middle ground. Indie is right. He does seem to make violence into a caricature of itself. I mean, c'mon...that's what makes a QT flick...a QT flick. I expect to see pure, elegant...magnificent violence when I watch one of his movies. The man is a genre unto himself...genius. Besides, would you ever want imagine QT making a movie like...oh, I don't know Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Not that I think he couldn't do it...but it's just not what he is...you know? So let them say what they want. "THEY" sound like bored idiots who have nothing better to do in their lives except pick on people like QT or Marilyn Manson even and blame them for the downfall of our society. So pardon my French but FUCK 'EM!

Kill Bill is an obvious satire on violent movies, so to convey that it would have to be over the top.

Films like pulp fiction & reservoir dogs are only violent because they have to be, it comes with the scene, but they are certianly not excessivly violent. They have just enough violence to let the audience know what it's really like to be in that sort of 'work', but tarantino has a way of making his characters (the mains) seem like they aren't doing anything wrong, as they are just doing there jobs.

That's right Mr. Blonde. I can't wait for him to finish this epic war movie he's been working on for seven years. It is gonna be unbelievable! :D

I think that QT's first 3 films weren't that violent. I have heard the idea that it's the constant threat of violence that gives it a sort of violent tension that people remember. Kill Bill is something else though. It took violence to a different place than QT's other films. It's so over the top that I didn't feel the same sort of connection that I do when violence is portrayed realistically. Does that make sense to anyone? Rather than feel sick or tense about it I was purely entertained, which I believe was QT's intent. I think that he's used violence exactly how he's wanted to in each of his films. I guess the way a film would be too violent was if it distracted from the purpose of the film, which I don't tarrentino does. Anyway, that's all.

Violence is so overplayed as a concept in today's society. We've lost all meaning for the word. QT's films are fanatasies, no different than Lord of the Rings. The "violence" is nothing but a cog in the wheel called story.

Now, movies like Saving Private Ryan and Irreversible that show real (or at least as real as can be) violence are too violent, but they are supposed to be. The point of the movie is about the real violence in the world.

Anyone remember how Fight Club was portrayed as an ultra violent movie? Yet there is only one death in the entire movie (well two, if you count Tyler).

The word "violence" has lost it's meaning.

Poke

Yea Kill Bill was very violent for the reasons Mr (ms) blonde stated, but his other ones are realistic violence, not over the top like some people make it seem. I enjoy it, its not repulsive-puke-your-guts-out-violence. Its good. And i agree with mj 10000000000000% about him having his own genre....lol

Fight club is an awesome film.. The fighting in that doesn't seem particularily violent coz the characters are doing it for fun... y'know?

Mr.Blonde said:
Fight club is an awesome film.. The fighting in that doesn't seem particularily violent coz the characters are doing it for fun... y'know?

That could make it more offensive to certain people (parents)...not me though.

Back