Thriller & Horror Aficionados, I need your help...

I've been asked to provide some scary movies (horror, thriller, etc) for a youth sleep over event on Friday the 13th.. I'm trying to come up with a list of films that will appeal to the average young teen (the kids ages range from around 13 to 17, average about 15ish).. Preferably without nudity, and such..

Any suggestions you may have would be most welcome.

No nudity....Here are some:

NEAR DARK (vampires)
THE HITCHER (1985 version)
TREMORS (first one)
ALTERED (creepy movie about guys who capture an alien and can't control it.)
THE THING (John Carpenter's epic shapeshifter flick.)
EVIL DEAD 2 (Sam Raimi's masterpiece remake of the first EVIL DEAD.)
DEAD ALIVE (Peter Jackson's over the top gory zombie comedy)
CANDYMAN (I don't remember nudity and it was creepy)
WATCHERS (The original Corey Haim flick has some good moments.)
ALIEN
ALIENS (If you can get the extended version, it is nothing short of epic.)
FRIGHT NIGHT (Chris Sarandon makes an excellent vampire. There might be very brief "through the window" nudity, but nothing excessive.)
THE BLOB (Kevin Dillon in a pretty good turn. Excellent melting/squishing FX.)
THE DESCENT (Claustrophic women cavers, trapped with albino cannibal creatures.)
DOG SOLDIERS (From the director of THE DESCENT. Weekend warriors encounter werewolves.)
DAWN OF THE DEAD (Remake, from the director of "300". Fast, scary zombies.)
JEEPERS CREEPERS (Scary creeper is unstoppable.)
SHAUN OF THE DEAD (Ultimate zombie comedy.)
28 DAYS LATER (Brief scene of naked guy waking up. Pretty intense, fast moving, enraged and "infected" people.)

Last edited:
Jaws - it's a sharky-shark, ya know.

Fire in the Sky (or Communion) - alien abduction; they sure won't sneak out of bed, after lights-out. :P

Not terribly (if at all) graphic & no nudity, best I recall.

Poltergeist
Lost Boys
Night of the Living Dead
Mars Attacks - not so much horror, but still fun

Fire In The Sky is a good suggestion, very creepy....bad things happen in the woods....

-- spinner :cool:

If you are getting kids with ages down to as low as 13 -- I'd caution against R-rated movies. Not that the kids can't handle it, but parents can get twitchy about that sort of thing (an irate parent can be a very unpleasant thing). Try to stick with something that pushes the boundaries of the PG-13 rating. In the last 5 years or so, most Hollywood horror movies were trimmed down to just squeak by with a PG-13 rating in order to sell more tickets in the theater. You ought to be able to find plenty of choices in that category -- many of them probably ARE too strong for younger kids (which will make the kids happy) but the PG-13 rating will appease the parents.

Firestarter with Drew Barrymore;
The Omen -(can't remember if it's suitable for kids or not)
Any of the 70's insect attack movies (Killer Ants, Killer Bees)
Arachnophobia

Firestarter with Drew Barrymore;
The Omen -(can't remember if it's suitable for kids or not)
Any of the 70's insect attack movies (Killer Ants, Killer Bees)
Arachnophobia

Only show them arachnophobia if you want to be checking under their sheets and in their rooms for spiders all night long when they wake you up saying they felt something crawling on them. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody..

Here's the list I've come up with... In no particular order:

Nothing But Trouble
Alien
Aliens
Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Don't Say a Word
Hide and Seek
Darkness
Lost Boys
Brainscan
Terminator 2
Terminator 3
Cape Fear
Session 9
Nightmare on Elm Street

I'll probably end up culling a few from this list because 1, there's no time to watch them all, and 2, no particular reason EVERY film we show that night has to be something that'll scare the kids.. haha

Only show them arachnophobia if you want to be checking under their sheets and in their rooms for spiders all night long when they wake you up saying they felt something crawling on them. ;)

That's what being scared is all about!

After seeing Firestarter and The Omen listed, I just remembered Scanners! What could be better than exploding heads!

EDIT: do you think maybe Godzilla movies would be good for laughs?

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
I don't think a 13-year-old will understand Se7en.... but then again, with 13-year-olds looking up to Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, and the Britney's, Lindsey's, and Paris' of today, Jo-Jo & Miley Cirus constantly pushing the "sexy" envelope, 13-year-olds are exposed to more adult situations today than they were yesteryear.

Well this may all be for nothing if I'm unable to line up a projector.. at any rate it may not matter as it sounds like the kids have a plethora of things planned for the evening and I would probably wind up being the only one watching movies -- in which case I might as well just bring my laptop and try to get some work done. blah.

LOL! Well, you can never go wrong with a Wii. We bought Rockband2 two weeks ago and my kids haven't stopped playing it. We didn't plan this one out too well though, the play room is really just an open area upstairs, and the drum beating can get pretty annoying when watching TV in the family room downstairs. We also use the 42 inch "babysitter" occassionally.

Back