• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A question about copyright and rewrites

I was told to copyright and register (with the WGA) a screeplay as soon as it's finished. What happens when you do that but then make changes in it or rewrites? Should you reapply for a copyright or are your changes covered? I made changes in the sequence of events but not the storyline and am not sure if the copyright covers that. :blush:

You can register changes, but you have to pay. I'd submit the finished script, and resubmit for copyright only if you have made substantial changes.

Thanks Indie! :) But is there any way that you could elaborate on substantial changes? Wait...before you do that let me say that the changes I made after having the copyright and registering it were the sequence of events in the story and some of the dialogue of one of the main character's who's a transsexual. By the way, are there any movies with a transsexual as a main character? :twisted: Just curious.

Geez Louise Zensteve!! You just brought me back down memory lane! My dad was the projectionist at the University Theater here in B.R. right outside the gates of LSU. Instead of going to babysitters, I went to work with my dad while my mom worked nights and all during the summers. I believe it was 1975 and of course a Friday night, the first time The Rocky Horror Picture Show was shown. I watched in amazement, not understanding but enthralled. I absolutely loved that movie!! I developed a HUGE crush on Frank N Furter!! I think it was the next Friday night that my mom came to the theater and saw The Rocky Horror movie for the first time. She and my dad had the biggest fight over him allowing me to watch it. He let me watch whatever I wanted to up there as long as I was quiet. I remember loving the movie Barry Lyndon because it was beautiful to watch. I've never seen it as an adult, maybe it's time to rent it. Oh and Orca, I cried and cried. And The Omen, scared me to death. And for some reason I remember The Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds. Sick! Thanks Zensteve!! :D I love strolling down memory lane.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show was just an amazing spectacle.

It played at two cinemas each weekend back home, and was fairly packed each time. I don't think there has ever been anything like that before, or since.

The *best* was yet to come, though.

I was too young to see the original "Rocky Horror Show" (stage show, not film) when it toured with Gary Glitter, but in '86 there was an AU/NZ tour that I got to see several times.

The girl I was dating at the time: her sister had the role of Colombia, and as such it was our obligation to go see the show as often as possible. It had a two-week run in Auckland before continuing on tour. 8)

The person playing the part of Eddie & Dr Scott was "Russ le Roq"... who has since given up his stage-name and is known as Russell Crowe. While most people associate Russell with a macho gladiator as first impressions, I'm thinking, "Hmmm... Russell didn't look too bad in fishnets!"

The role of the Narrator (for the second week of the show) was Robert Muldoon... NZ's former Prime Minister who had just been recently voted out of office. He was a smash with the audience! It was just insanity to have a straightlaced, somber, real-life nation-leader come out and take a role like that for such a whacky stage production! He was a great sport about it. :P

Now anyway, where is this leading? I have no idea. The point was... memory lane! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

So... with the Rocky Horror tie-in and talk of reminisce, I opened up a very old scrapbook that I kept, that had collections and drawings from that young girl I used to date, whose sister was in the stage-show. And I found a rather amusing drawing she had made, of me and her. So here it is. Aaaaaahhhhhh... those were the days!

Back in the ol' days.....

Now I had better just hush, because this must have been the biggest derail of a thread in recent history. :P

mjsmith said:
By the way, are there any movies with a transsexual as a main character? :twisted: Just curious.

Haha, love the dialogue on Rocky Horror!

For more serious films on transgender issues, check out Boys Don't Cry, Ma Vie En Rose (My Life in Pink) and The Crying Game.

Registering Re-writes

mjsmith said:
I was told to copyright and register (with the WGA) a screeplay as soon as it's finished. What happens when you do that but then make changes in it or rewrites? Should you reapply for a copyright or are your changes covered? I made changes in the sequence of events but not the storyline and am not sure if the copyright covers that. :blush:

Below is a copy of the post I wrote in the "Copyrighting a short script" Forum. My suggestion would be to Register when you finish your script with both the WGA and the Copyright Office [and certainly before you send it out to anyone]. Then when you get feedback, notes, etc. and/or just decide to make additional changes and then are going to send the revised script out --- register with the Copyright Office [do not need to re-register with the WGA]. When you register with the Copyright Office, you name the script: "Same Title 2" state that the work is a derivative work of "Title 1". The Copyright Form asks what was changed. Examples include: Changes to Act 1, additional characters. When someone buys the script from you, they won't register it as a screenplay, they will register it as a motion picture when the film is done. The underlying work [despite the fact that it will again go through numerous re-writes] will be Title 2.

MovieKat
MovieKat7@hotmail.com
MovieKat.blogspot.com

: I read this article and thought it was interesting. I think I will register my next feature this way. But, I think it would definitely be beneficial with short scripts. Just follow the format requirement for filing a Form TX. Then, even if you decide to write a feature length script from your "short" [now considered a short story], you will forever be the author and copyright holder of the underlying work. If someone else wants to write a feature length screenplay from your short --- it will be considered a derivative work and they need your permission and/or you have a claim.

MovieKat
MovieKat.blogspot.com

Found at this site: http://www.hollywoodlitsales.com/cf....cfm?intID=1740

My POV
Brian A. Wilson

THE RIGHT COPYRIGHT

Here's about the best, most clever take I've heard on the copyright procedure for screenplays.

If you're like me, you've been seduced by filling out Short Form PA. It's fast, it's easy, it's, well, short.

But it's not the best solution.

The following procedure was suggested by John Longenecker, an Oscar-winning filmmaker. I heard him speak at a Sherwood Oaks seminar, and he shared this approach with us.

Here's what you do:

Write your screenplay.

Copy it. Paste it into Word or your favorite word processing program.

Reformat it so it looks like a manuscript or traditional document, not a screenplay.

Register that document on Form TX (Short Form TX is fine as well). This makes your writing a literary work.

Now here's the good part.

Next, fill out Long Form PA for your screenplay. List it as a derivative work of your literary work that you registered on form TX.

That's it!

What does this mean? It means that if you sell your script and ultimately get bumped off the project down the line (common in the early going of one's career), you'll still get screen credit. It'll come in the form of "based on the story by Yours Truly." That's because by registering your writing as a literary work on form TX, you've created the "underlying literary material" upon which your screenplay, or any subsequent screenplay, is based.

The screenplay-written by you or whomever else-becomes a derivative work. So does anything else that comes out of the project-TV shows, theme park rides, special packaging on Wheaties boxes. And guess who is at the head of that revenue stream? You are, because you hold the copyright in the underlying material.

Genius, baby. Wish I'd thought of it, but all props to Mr. Longenecker.

Yes, you're out two $30 copyright fees, but that's showbiz.

It's too late to do this with any scripts you've registered previously, but by all means, use this technique for every script you write from now on. It's a little time consuming, but with global search and replace, it's not that hard to reformat your script.

When those royalty checks start rolling in, you'll be glad you did it.

Annoying but necessary Disclaimer: By the way, I'm not a lawyer, the foregoing isn't a valid legal opinion, and please don't construe it as such or hold me responsible for your copyright concerns in anyway. If you have questions or doubts about copyright law, consult your entertainment attorney.

Keep writing.

BW
LA

Back to the original topic...

mjsmith said:
I made changes in the sequence of events but not the storyline and am not sure if the copyright covers that.
If you're actually shooting this script too then it's definately not a concern, The story is still intact, but you reordered it for the production.. copyright the finished film as well and you're set. There's usually a difference between finished script and shooting script anyway. :)

Back