What attracts an audience to an independent film?

Is it the subject matter (dark, comedic, alternative, strange, etc.) or is it the artistic integrity of the independent filmmakers?

Poke

I think it's a combo of what you have mentioned, plus they want to see what some people did with not much money. I think if they don't know you had tons and tons of money spent on something and you can fool them to make it look like you have, I think that attracts them. Then they want to start learning about what you do and maybe how they can help. :)
Just my 2 cents....

Variety. Because of the budget amounts, Hollywood plays it safe to some extent. Remakes, recycling TV shows, best sellers adapted, comic books adapted. A proven track record puts the studios at ease.

Independent filmmakers can take risks that the studios can never take. This attracts audiences as well as major actors and technicians who take massive pay cuts to work on a kick ass story.

We might not have money, but we don't have any limitations either. Now if we only had money.

Hey Guys,

I saw the topic and wanted to add a few things.
It's mainly about promoting your work to the right people being the audience who will be interested in seeing your movie.
So getting the word out and making a buzz about it will get a better turn out.
Best thing to do is to contact local news people to get some exposure so
when you approach a place to use for a venue you already have some
thing to go on media coverage for you and the movie.
Plus it shows what you cast and crew have done.
That way later if you're looking for distribution you might have a better
chance on getting the movie picked up due to the buzz it generated and
even maybe some awards.
And like one of you said it's not always about the money factor well it is
but sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.
Just make sure you have a movie with a good strong story for people to follow and they won't care if you shot it in your own backyard.
I'm personally finshing up on my new movie "Bloodliners" which is a new
type of vampire movie and trust me my budget stunk! but when people
see it they thought I had a couple of millions invested and that makes me very happy, plus it helped that I also shot some scenes in France to give it a certain realism.
Again I didn't have the budget my wife's French and we were there to visit her family so I said what the hell and used them as characters to add
to the movie.
So use what you have to the best of your ability.
So to me these are the important things getting your work out there.
Thanks for listening.

Go for your dreams people.
Director1

Story is always the key.

Since childhood, we have all been attracted to the movies with the best stories, anyone can put together a big budget spectacle, but it takes a storyteller to make the crowd go "WOW!" In my opinion, this is what sets aside most independent film from Hollywood films - indies usually have a clear and concise story.

Why do you think that is?

In my opinion, it is probably because an indie writer/director is usually working to put together a movie for a long, long period of time. Thus, he/she has time to develop the story more fully and throw out the bad stuff.

I also think that indies do well if they have something "alternative" or "artistic" to offer. People love to watch. That's why so called reality TV does so well, people want to watch someone who is not them.

Then again, it helps to relate to the audience, doesn't it?

I am currently in preproduction on an indie comedy called I LIKE CLOWNS. I find that people get interested when I say the title because they recognise it as something a studio would never dream of putting out, unless Jim Carrey was attached to star. I think people just yearn for something new and different than what they get from Hollywood.

Poke

Poke...

<anyone can put together a big budget spectacle, but it takes a storyteller to make the crowd go "WOW!" In my opinion, this is what sets aside most independent film from Hollywood films - indies usually have a clear and concise story. >

Not always. Many indie's stay indie forever because they don't have a concise story. I've always said, if you're working on your 55th indie, then something is wrong with your work, unless you just choose to be that way. I mean there are some indie's that have 10 million dollar budgets, and if these people stay here it is because they want to. But someone working on their (by today's standards) 7th Mini-DV film with no more budget than in the first. It might be something about your ideas that not many people want to see other than you and your friends. I hate to sound like that. But it's true. I've been out to many people's websites to check out their "new mini-dv" film and less than 10% have I ever actually wanted to see. I look at their trailer and see bad lighting, bad sound, a bad story, silliness in direction or sexual perversion that someone thinks is funny. Many indie's are good, but most who are good indies become good Hollywood players.

I look at it like this. Indie films come in many catagories: Some people want to make Artistic or Solid Films, others want a Gateway into Hollywood. Currently I think most of the "indie" world is in the later. So indie's are like going to a fair with your "film" as your resume. Many people will see you and say I like that, but at the end of the day only the cream of the crop will get a Hollywood deal, and even then many will never see another one.

<In my opinion, it is probably because an indie writer/director is usually working to put together a movie for a long, long period of time. >

There's an old addage "Think long, think wrong." I wrote my current screenplay in about 2 weeks. Even though I realize it's not the best screenplay ever made, I rate it a C myself. But all my actors and other people in the industry that have had a chance to read it, think it's one of the best they've seen (Only a few people have seen it. Maybe 3 or 4)! I'm not saying you should only take 2 weeks, my wife for example takes a long time to write, but she is very good, better than me. But time doesn't really mean that much. I think if the art is in you, it's in you. Sometimes people take forever because they only have a little art and their trying to sqeeze it all out. While others are bursting with it. The guy that wrote "Weird Science", "The Breakfast Club" and "Sixteen Candles" wrote all of them in one weekend! Three screenplays in 2 days!

<I also think that indies do well if they have something "alternative" or "artistic" to offer. People love to watch. That's why so called reality TV does so well, people want to watch someone who is not them. >

I agree that many times indie's do take a concept and are not afraid of it. Hollywood is concerned with too many things. I was so surpised to see the Matrix Reloaded rating at R, until I almost passed out. It's not PG-13? Maybe it was a typo. But it should be R. I remember when all action films of worth were R. Why is Hollywood afraid of the rating? Indie's aren't afriad of things like that. And I admit that is a bonus.

As for reality TV. I think people are into it because they are nosey. Same way people are into Celebrities lives, not their work, their lives. Like I study R.Rodriguez like the next filmmaker. I've studied Speilburg, Stone, Lee and others. But I don't know their birthday or who they are dating. People get into other people's lives I think because they are missing something in their own life or they just don't have anything to do. I'm always busy. I work a 9to5 and then work my movie at night. I could give a less of a crap about who is eating spiders on Survivor. In fact, the shows are so bad they make celebrities for people to follow. None of them are "fair." I tell people all the time the show should be called "Don't Vote Me Off!" If I had a Survivor show people would have to sign a waver saying "if I die during the course of this show. I will not, nor can my family sue." hahaha! :) I'll make you survive! ;)

pika :-D

True

If someone is working on a 55th miniDV indie it's not the work, it's that they don't have the talent.

I agree that there is a lot of indie filmmakers out there that don't have what it takes to make it in Hollywood. That's one of the disadvantages of DV technology.

About the long time to rewrite the script ...

Maybe I am just thinking of myself. When I look at what I originally wrote and what I have now. I see a huge difference. The first stuff I wrote was written by an idiot who knew very little about film and what makes them good. I am still an idiot, but I have a better understanding of film writing and the greatness of it.

I also agree about the nosiness of the American public. That's what I was trying to hit on. People like to watch.

Poke

poke! Hey! :)

<I agree that there is a lot of indie filmmakers out there that don't have what it takes to make it in Hollywood. That's one of the disadvantages of DV technology. >

I don't know if I quite understand what you are saying here. DV to me is good because it allows for a gateway, especially going directly to video where the average home still can barely play DV/DVD quality. (525 lines) But it does invite everyone with arms reach of a camera to bring their "bad vision" gumming up the DV works and taking away from those who are truly talented.

<Maybe I am just thinking of myself. When I look at what I originally wrote and what I have now. I see a huge difference. The first stuff I wrote was written by an idiot who knew very little about film and what makes them good. I am still an idiot, but I have a better understanding of film writing and the greatness of it>

You're not an idiot. I hate it when people say "Oh I'm just dumb" or I'm bad. NO! You are learning, just like the rest of us. Half of what comes out of Hollywood is crap, shoot more than half. I'm sre you can write better than the average Skin-a-max flick on Friday After Dark. So we all are learning, but sometimes you can loom over a story so long that you messs it's simplicity up with too much complexity.

<I also agree about the nosiness of the American public. That's what I was trying to hit on. People like to watch. >

Can't disagree there!

I encourage you and everyone else to study the type of films that you like to see. Don't buy bad movies, don't do it. Watch them, rent them, hey even buy a movie online to help a fellow filmmaker. Watch their stuff, if it's good add it to your collection, if it's bad sell it, give it away, throw it away. It's like if "you lay down with dogs you get fleas" Don't view too much "bad stuff" or you'll make "bad stuff". But make sure you study the "why" of cinema. Unfortunately this will remove most of the fun of movies. For me, I can barely enjoy a movie anymore unless it's d@mn near perfect. But it keeps me on my toes, and even though my Credit-Card film will be out soon, which is not perfect. I think it's given me an edge over lots of people who don't even have a clue on what true cinema is.

pika

I don't know if I quite understand what you are saying here.

I'm just saying that it has lowered the cost of filmmaking, thus some really bad filmmakers with money are getting their projects made and distributed. It's a drawback, but I guess it's an acceptable one. I am much happier knowing that I am gonna be spending about 5 to 10 thousand on my film rather than 50 to 100 thousand.

You're not an idiot. I hate it when people say "Oh I'm just dumb" or I'm bad. NO! You are learning, just like the rest of us.

That's just how I am. I truly don't think I am an idiot. I actaully think I am pretty smart. I just call myself dumb sometimes because it helps to keep me humble.

I encourage you and everyone else to study the type of films that you like to see.

Whaddaya think I've been doing my whole life?

Poke

Like many say - it all depends on what audience you're targeting for. For instance - if it's a gay movie, advertise with a buff man in the picture - the gays will go and see it, even if the buff man you use is not in the movie.
The thing about independent movies is the content. The characters are more defined, and the story is more realistic. We have all seen Hollywood Blockbuster romantic Comedies, and they ALL end the same in their predictable manner of "Is she going to get the guy, or not?" If you don't know that answer by now...well, then, you should go ahead and waste your time and money.
For me, I see independent films based on a: Who is in them, and b: knowing very little about the film, because I like to be surprised. When I saw Girlstown, I had no idea what to expect. I saw it just because I knew it was about three girls from the streets. That movie has become my all time favorite movie - and the only one I can watch consecutively without getting tired of it. And why I love it, is not only because Lili Taylor plays an urban high school teen, but because the movie was Improvised. That is where the best acting lies. - especially with Bruklynn Harris. I have such an appreciation for her, and am pissed that she does not do many films.
What really attracts people is the realism. Take Catherine Keenr in "Walking and Talking" - How real is that scene where she's itching her stomach in the restaurant. Or Parker Posey in Clockwatchers, as the employee who doesn't give a shit (I like to think she used me as a character study).
It's ALL about the acting - and the story - no matter what the story is. (Of course, "Just Another Girl on the IRT" could have used better actor's who didn't shout in every scene.

You bring up a good point!

What about the acting? Does the acting really matter? I mean how many great indies have you seen with horrible, horrible acting? The main thing you have to have is a story, of course. But does anyone ever think an indie is good, even though the actors stink?

Poke

I think when you watch an indies you kinda expect that. Maybe some bad/cheesy acting, crude f/x ect. I think it all comes with the title of indie. I have seen some indie/fan films with some pretty good acting in them. I mean you can't be to hard on these people, your doing the same thing. As in like a Star Wars fan film, the acting stinks sometimes, but you can see that they have a real love for what they are making and try to do there best.

Acting-

I guess I always slice independent films into several catagories : Indie, B-Film, Troma-Type, Indie-Horror. Each one is different in their approach. I like what I consider basic "Indie" where most people are trying to make a consise story with great acting. This is the type of story I'm trying to do.

B-Films are to me (in our todays world) people who want to do something against the norm, have lots of fun, be silly, over sexual, etc. Anything to either shock or have fun in a film or simply to use any means to sell the film. The worst of all indies, but the easiest to sell.

Troma-Type: people with outragous ideas, i.e. Swamp Thing, and even recently Monsturd. These are films usually with a Sci-Fi or Horror base that take the concept into a new direction, many times becomeing cult classics in the process.

Indie-Horror to me can get confised with B-Films. The difference is that a true indie horror takes itself seriously and it's enemies seriously. It's not full of jokes. It has been thought about and the scenes well planned and executed. It's much like a basic indie, but since so many people do these, it gets it's own catagory.

To me Acting is 100% importaint, as importaint as the Story. Otherwise how will your story make it across to the audience. But I realize that there are different types of people in the world, and some people actually like bad acting. They think it's funny and adds a "feel" to their movies. To me this is fine for B-Films and Troma-Type, but Indie Dramas/Action/Pretty much any genre except horror and comedy, need real actors with at least a small amount of range.

Comedy?

So you consider all independent comedies to be B-movies? And good comedy doesn't need good acting?

I would have to disagree with you on that. Many actors'll tell you that comedy is the hardest part of acting (persoanlly I think they are wrong, but they'll tell you that). I wouldn't necessarilly lump all indie comedies into the B-movie category. Sure there are the ones that you can tell are a bunch of guys goofing off on the weekends, but some indie comedies have been sweated and cried over for a number of years.

Poke

No, I'm not saying comedies don't need good actors. In fact I 100% agree with you that good comedy is probably the hardest type of film to make. I will not even state that I'll be going down the comedy path because a good comedy is great, but a bad comedy is just Horrible! :D

I guess what I was saying about the "b-Film" is the comedy of outrageous porportions. I've seen indie trailers/shorts/films where something somebody THOUGHT would be funny, was in the movie, but it wasn't funny at all. Like I saw a trailer with a Dildo dressed up like Mr. Potato Head and it was talking. It's not funny. It's not. It's stupid and is somthing I figure an overly sexual 12 year old might come up with. But even if you find a way to make it amusing, it doesn't belong in your trailer!

Comedies like Clerks and Mallrats are (to me) Indie's not B-Films. But I rarely encourage anyone to make a comedy at this level because it is so hard to do. I'll admit to myself that "Hey I'm not funny!" I guess I wish others would admit it too. I think people think comedy is easy so they do it, when most of the time only their friends will find it funny at all. Some people are actually funny, like a comediean (spelling?) but you have to make that dissertation for yourself.

So I agree comedic actors need to be good. Comedies are hard to make! Btu some people, I guess most people I run into, on this level, like the "I'll just get my friends to come over and we'll do the funny stuff we do and it'll be funny." And believe it or not there is a small market for that. So I hate to discourage anything.

For me, I believe in real actors. I believe 1st comes acting, 2nd comes look, 3rd comes chemistry among actors, 4th is familiar folks.
Seems like most people go something like, People I know, Cute People, Chemistry, Actually being able to act.

just my .02
pika

Okay

So we are in agreement that Good comedies need Good actors. But does that necessarily mean that a comedy can't be funny if it's got some bad actors? You talked about Clerks. Now that movie had some bad, bad acting. But it was still good.

I mean we all can't get A-list actors like Mr. PH Dildo to be in our movies.

Poke

Hey Pokewow,

I say get good actors period, if you can. I mean if you are in a bad city for acting or movie production, you might need to think about moving. I'm originally from Memphis, TN, then I moved to Alabama, then I moved to Cincinnati, OH and now I'm in Atlanta, GA. For the first time in my life when I put a casting call out, I get actors. Real actors with ability that want to be involved in projects. And they are willing to work for free, if they believe in your project and if they see it as somethng to elevate their career!

Maybe I overstated what I think people "should" or shouldn't do in case of indie cinema, but I do truly and fully believe in getting good work done.

I stay away, I think I told you, from comedies because I realize I'm not funny. I wish most people would recognize this fact. I just went to a screening of some shorts recently, five of which were comedies and they all were bad except one. I mean I might crack a smile, bu tI was never rolling on the floor laughing. And for all the bad acting and bad shots and bad direction, nothing could make up for the crap on the screen.

But hey that's just me and I'm a little weird! hahaha

pikachu

A city for acting.

Well, I live in Round Rock, which is twenty miles north of Austin, TX. It is a good acting city, from what I've heard. My problem with my upcoming project is that it will be shot in and around Waco, TX (another 100 miles north). I don't forsee getting a lot of actors to travel that distance. It's happened for others, but I'm not looking for any miracles on my part.

Also, long ago, when I really didn't know much, I promised certain parts to certain friends. Now, I am older and wiser, I realise that certain memebers of my fellowship can not act. And they all still want to play the part.

Anyway, I am anticipating the acting to be so/so. But the script is freakin' hilarious, and I should know because I wrote it. My original question about acting ...

pokewowplayer1 said:
What about the acting? Does the acting really matter? I mean how many great indies have you seen with horrible, horrible acting? The main thing you have to have is a story, of course. But does anyone ever think an indie is good, even though the actors stink?

Poke

... is basically asking, does anyone think I should piss off some friends and family members in order to have better acting? Or are family ties more important than good acting?

I know some of you have faced this same decision. What have ya'll done?

Poke

Well, I guess for me in a way I have it easy. After my first stint, I told myself I'd never have bad actors again. And I actually dropped two projects because the actors were not good or were not commited. So that should tell you that if I were in your shoes I'd go for "real actors".

Also you might want to do a "poor man's copyright" (i.e. send the screenplay registered mail to yourself) on your work and have others to check it out for you. I'm not funny, so I never know what's funny until I see it. But I also admit most movies that people think are funny are not funny to me. I like intillectual based comedy like O' Brother Where Art Thou. When I tried to see "Scary Movie", which a friend let me borrow, I turned it off about 45 minutes in, as I could take no more of the stupidity. O'Brother, French Kiss and Major Payne are probably some of my favorite comedies. But th eScary Movie Series and Just Another Teen Movie, etc to me rarely raise a chuckle.

Anyway, I had 4 people I knew to be harsh on my work all check it out and give me critiques. And these are the types that wil say "Hey this sucks!" So I like people like that. When people can find no wrong, I always know there is something that is wrong or maybe they think everything is perfect. I'd rather surround myself with those who take art extremely serious and are very critical, because it makes me better. Those who are like "oohh that's cool" every single time, ususally create crap to me.

pika

Back