comments on my budget

This is a draft of my top sheet for my prospectus. Any comments? I'll be using three panasonics;

PRODUCTION BUDGET
Warrior Girl Execute Producer:
Producer: Lisa
Writer: Lisa Director: Lisa

ACCOUNT NUMBER DESCRIPTION BUDGET
01-00 Development
02-00 Writer/Script
03-00 Producer's Unit
04-00 Director's Unit
05-00 Cast Unit
06-00 Travel and Living
07-00 Fringe Benefits and Payroll Taxes
TOTAL ABOVE-THE-LINE (Pre-Production)
BELOW-THE-LINE
08-00 Cameras (3) 4,200 each 12600
09-00 Expendables
10-00 Tape
11-00 Sound Equipment
13-00 Sound Transfer
14-00 Grip
15-00 Special Equipment
16-00 Director of Photography
17-00 Production Manager and Assistant Director
18-00 Lighting
19-00 Production Designer
20-00 Art & Props
21-00 Wardrobe
22-00 Make-up and Hair
2300 Film Crew
24-00 Permits
25-00 Insurance
26-00 Dailies
27-00 FX /Cars
28-00 Locations
29-00 Office and Paperwork
30-00 Publicity
31-00 Food
32-00 Transportation
33-00 Fringe Benefits and Payroll Taxes
TOTAL PRODUCTION BUDGET (In-the-Can)
34-00 Film Edit
35-00 Music
36-00 Sound Edit
37-00 ADR
38-00 Foley
39-00 Music/Score
40-00 Mix (Re-record)
41-00 Optical Transfer
42-00 M&E
43-00 Titles
44-00 Film Lab

I think I can possible swing 30-40k
one lead, five supporting, few day players & few extras
three main locations - tennis courts, house in a indigent neighborhood, and a decent house

A few things...

I see Dailies in the list... along with Optical Transfer, Titles, M&E & Film Lab. Is the final presentation destined for 16/35mm?

If so, why spend 12k to purchase 3 DV cameras? Better to rent 16/35mm cameras. (This is assuming 16/35mm presentation)

I see no "Legal", either... but that's something that should be arranged before offering a prospectus anyway. Correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be, after these fine Rum & Cokes with teeny paper umbrellas), but a prospectus (as opposed to a business plan) needs be filed somewhere (SEC?), as a solicitation of funds. Hooray for lawyers. Get ready to incorporate.

Aside from the cost of the DV cameras, there are no figures to look at... but there are a lot of itemisations there, so we'll assume you are aware of the myriad of costs involved and their breakdowns. Assign an extra allocation of money into a generic/non-specific category... you'll need it to cover shortfalls in real costs of specific ones. There is always something extra to pay for, no matter how much a stickler.

I understand this is a cover-sheet... just need to ask if you have written breakdowns of what all these categories are, for the potential investor.

Also, you seem to be missing some basics. So far, it's a budget breakdown. There should be sections to excite the potential investors.

Ie:A plain set of text to inform them why it is beneficial to join up. Why are you doing it? What do you hope to show? What can they expect in return? Is there a guarantee of return? Who are you involved with? The film is important because...

I'll stop rambling here. Someone needs to ban these tasty beverages ;)

The budget looks ok. Regarding buying 3 cameras, unless you're shooting over weekends for a long period of time. I'd only buy one and rent two. What kind of schedule are you planning for your movie? It's nice to have one camera so if you need to run out and shoot a quick shot you don't have to run to a rental house, but to have three cameras is a big capital investment that could be put into your budget.

Shooting with three cameras is a tough proposition for most low budget movies. It's hard to find three good camera operators. Also, you'll have to compromise your lighting so that it will work for all three camera so you'll movie will end up looking like a sitcom. Another problem with three camera shooting is it's hard for the director to judge performances. You can really only focus on one camera at a time so you may miss some subtle action by an actor on the other camera.

Now the joy of three cameras is you can shoot very quickly. I've done two camera at once on some scenes and on some big actions gags, I've run up to 5 cameras.

Scott

Thanks guys:

Zen - I'm still working on my prospectus but since the budget is the top sheet, I want to make sure that I have enough items. Good point on purchasing three cameras. I'll take a note on that. I'm still working on the budget breakdowns but it's a bit difficult for me since I'm in Los Angeles and I'll be shooting in South Africa. Yes, I do intend to blow it up to 35mm later.

Scott - Thanks for the info. I think I will have to go with one camera.

Besides the dailies, do you guys see any item that doesn't belong when shooting DV?

Back