View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
molsmith
Basic Member

I often think of doing similar for equal reasons. In my experience so far, if you really want to set up a site for Indie film maker distribution, you need a pricing structure based on shares out according to films watch for amount of time to the inputting film maker. The successful working model is more about holding lots of peer reviewed indie films going onto the platform - increasing in numbers and the audience paying a subscription monthly to dive in and out of this film or that. No one wants a TV type linear film presentation channel, as far as I can see. People have different moods and tend to chill out by picking this or that movie to watch. Amazon and Netflix have the best models for the masses to come and see. Amazon annually purges titles from off their platform often when they are performing well, or have too much non-mass appeal content (nudity, oddness, or politically incorrect - but only when the film maker has made the film on a nominal budget.

A lot of Roku channels are just out-of-date very old horror or SF movies which are quaint but low grade and boring.

Yes. Independent film makers need a streaming channel which enables their films to get out there, but the quality of production of such films needs to hit a certain bar and that means peer reviewing a film. Time consuming.

I hope this helps. i'm open to collaboration if you are serious interested in moving your ideas forward.

my regards,

mol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Lizard View Post
I'm strongly kicking around the idea of launching a linear-programmed Roku channel. Was hoping to get some thoughts about the idea from everyone here.

I was going to open the channel up to indie producers. Preferably I'd be looking for indie producers of TV shows...you know, episodic stuff. But I'd be open to indie movies and short films, too.

We'd pay a lot of attention to branding and social media marketing.

The idea is the content would be linear as opposed to on demand...like the way TV is delivered on a cable network like Bravo or USA.

It wouldn't make any money at first, of course. It would lose money. But the idea is to create a platform for indie producers who produce good stuff but are having a hard time finding a venue for it.

I'm thinking of developing a direct response monetization model...you know, companies can run advertising on the channel for free and only pay something if a sale is made.

Thoughts? Do you think producers would be interested in providing content? That's what the whole thing would hinge on -- content.
molsmith is offline   Reply With Quote