Getting deployed to Kuwait, what camcorder to buy?

Hello,

I'm getting deployed to Kuwait and I want to buy a good video camera. I currently use a Panasonic DVX-B for my filming needs but that's obviously very impractical to bring to a desert. To give you an idea of my concerns, Kuwait would have high and low temps daily and harmful amounts of sand. I would like to film little things here and there to send home and if time permits on my breaks, I would still like to make short films.

So my point is, what handheld camcorder would be best to bring? I would like the best video quality that can be compromised only with the camcorders durability. I don't need DVD burning or touch screens, those would break easily. I would love a large storage system of video (or maybe just DV tape usage), the best quality of video, durability, and maybe other gadgets you guys could recommend for my situation. Thank you.

I think we've had soldiers here stationed in the Middle east who've asked this same question. You may want to use the search function and look for iraq or military or marine or something of that type to see if you can track down the particulars.

The user was airbayforce.

Last edited:
The Panasonic AG-HSC1U, recording AVC-HD onto memory cards, is a good option. FCP 6.02 can handle AVC-HD material from this camera. It's about $1800- very rugged, compact and easy to use. The image quality is amazing for a tiny little camera.

Noah

Most important features for CamCorders (out of 100)

50 points for a cheap $5 remote; this feature is way more important than all the rest of the features combined. Eliminate the jigglies at the beginning and end of each video caused by hitting the start/stop switch. $30 DVD players come with fully functional remotes. Wake up CC manufacturers...

10 points for major Camcorder design changes, make it more like a flashlight. The hand strap is not a good way to shoot video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqsXWPmsgBk
I would have never noticed the mouse if I was watching the tiny view screen. The flashlight shooting method makes it easy to catch the action. The hand strap is a loser a wrist strap would be more useful.

10 points for files named YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.mpg AND not all in one huge file (the worlds best media players forte is mpg)

10 points for standard AA rechargable batteries. What a waste of money the batteries and the chargers are. My first backup battery was a dud so I bought a 3rd and my battery charger broke and had to be replaced. Trying to locate these items was more wasted time.

5 points for a wired remote so nothing needs to be pointed at the CC when turning it on and off. The Start/Stop recording button would no longer be needed if the CC has a Remote.

2 points for the remote censor at the rear of the camcorder. That is where I use my remote 99.9% of the time.

2 points for the mute option. Wind noise and yappy friends would be the main reason for this option. A Mini microphone cover would help as well.

2 points for the ability to attach to a spotting scope to the FRONT of the CC (digiscoping). Everybody with a spotting scope would love this one. It wouldn't be expensive either.

1 point for a detachable view screen (with 10" wire). This shouldn't be a big item cost wise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9w4WxKFCs
It would have been great for curling.. Being able to turn the CC without losing sight of the view screen.

1 point for the GPS watermark option. It has it's own switch. I'd just make short-short videos or 1 pic for location then switch it off. I don't want to have to go digging for this info. Again this would be a minor software fix.

1 point for the time showing on the screen. That should be an easy software option with no cost. There are a number of far more useless options in the menu.

1 point for the ability to skip videoing at the beginning and end of each clip. A remote would make this a less needed item. If it's difficult to skip the end, then the eliminating the jigglies at the beginning is a good start. The ability to set the number of seconds to skip at the end of each video would be handy in XXX rated situations (wild wild parties etc). But not that big of a deal. Just delete those files completely.

1 point for the sighting tube / flashlight mount on the top of the CC

1 point for the zoom cover/lock. I have wrecked a dozen or more clips by inadvertently touching the zoom button. I guess I could use a small piece of electrical tape to solve the problem...

2 point for the ability to auto upload to the NET. Handy when someone is breaking in or your are videoing police wrongdoing.

1 point for a CC that can video with the view screen closed. My Hitachi can but my Sony needs this screen open. In cold weather I wrap my hands around the camcorder to keep it from freezing up in -20F temperatures.

1 point for the most important menu items listed first: 1-off load video, 2-delete old video, 3-set date and time

1 point for optical zoom of 10X or better. The best zoom is manual zoom. Get in close and circle the subject if you can

-1 point for Digital Zoom

-1 point for the ability to review videos on the tiny screen. I never watch or delete any video on the camcorder; this is another worthless option.

The Camcorder should be CHEAP. Otherwise you won't take it with you and what good is it then. Most of recent great video has been shot on cell phones by amateurs not by self proclaimed pros. Egypt, tsunami, police brutality etc. It's not the equipment that makes these shots great. A pro would be busy checking the lighting etc and most likely miss the action.

Recent video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_CGnlV35vk Bulls fighting (nobody gets hurt)

Last edited:
Back