Rehearsals for children

Hello,

At the moment I'm in the process of pre-production for my up-coming film. My main charater is a young 10 year old girl and I just wanted to have some tips about directing but also on how to do rehearsals with her. I'm a little worried of rehearsing perhaps too much with her or too little. I wouldn't like to "burn" her out, but at the same time I want to make sure she nails the character perfectly. Any advice for the rehearsals and to how to direct them?

Please also have in mind this is a student production and so were talking about a low budget film.

Thanks everyone!xox

If you get a chance watch the special edition of "To Kill a Mockingbird". I watched it a couple of weeks ago and if you turn on the Director's Commentary he talks a great deal right at the start of the film about directing and working with the children that were a big part of the production. It might be helpful.

Hello, At the moment I'm in the process of pre-production for my up-coming film. My main charater is a young 10 year old girl and I just wanted to have some tips about directing but also on how to do rehearsals with her. I'm a little worried of rehearsing perhaps too much with her or too little. I wouldn't like to "burn" her out, but at the same time I want to make sure she nails the character perfectly. Any advice for the rehearsals and to how to direct them? Please also have in mind this is a student production and so were talking about a low budget film.

Thanks everyone!xox

I am a student myself, and personally if I was asked to act in a film, I would prefer, and feel much more comfortable, if the director asked me how much I'm willing to contribute and practice. After each practice, you might also want to ask her how she's feeling, and give her a rest once in a while (preferably once every 1 -2 hours). Please make sure you ask her this a while after you're 'closer' with her so she'll be truthful. And be sure to give her a treat, like a CD Album or something once in a while to make her feel 'special'.

Hope that helped,
Jeremy

Yeah...Thank you guys!This all helps...Oh and by the way Joe, I've ordered the dvd you suggested "to kill a mockingbird." I love the film anyways so It'l be nice to have it and plus get some extra guidance on how to direct children!

And yes, a good treat for them will certainly make them happier. Will have to do that definitely!

Alejandra xox

I just worked with an 8 year old for a little movie shoot. We needed to get some wild foley from him in the back of a car. He didn't really understand, "Act scared." We had to paint a picture for him so we could get the right sounds from him. "Let me hear what it would sound like if a monster was coming toward the car." ...things like that.

You need to be able to talk to them on their level. But whatever you do, don't "talk down" to a kid. They really despise that.

Back