Sound recording Equipment

I'm looking to buy a sound recording equipment but I have no idea whats whats.

I'm looking to spend around $500 for recorder and mic. (do I need anything else?) I'd really appreciate some advice.

thank you

There are a lot of way cool digital recorders that are relatively simple to use, and inexpensive. The memory can be limited, but you can hook them some of them up, and transfer the audio, via fire wire into your pc or mac. (you can also upload your audio via usb connection.)

This is way handy.

If you go with digital, buy something that is very current. The new stuff is more user friendly, usually has a fire wire connection, and has more memory.

Get something that has a mike preamp on it also. This way you can use good microphones, should you wish to.

You shouldn't need to go overboard with a fancy multitracker. Get a four track device and then upgrad with more flash media storage memory. Tascam makes a nice little fourtrack unit. Heres a link.

good luck.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...rec/s=recorders/search/detail/base_pid/240834

For $500, the best you can get is a mini-disc recorder and a Azden SGM-X2 shotgun mic. Mini-disc have ok recording quality. The main complaints with them is sync can drift in long takes (2 min. or over) and most in that price range are step automatic levels. The only other option is find a cheap mini-DV camera that allows you set levels and record to that. I can't think of a camera for under $300 that allows you to set levels, but maybe somebody else knows of one.

Scott

Are you getting into sound mixing, or are you a filmmaker? If the latter, consider using the money for your production, and finding a sound mixer that owns equipment to work with you - you may be able to find someone for free. A sound mixer will come with all of the needed equipment, not just a mic and a mixer. :)

scottspears said:
For $500, the best you can get is a mini-disc recorder and a Azden SGM-X2 shotgun mic. Mini-disc have ok recording quality. The main complaints with them is sync can drift in long takes (2 min. or over) and most in that price range are step automatic levels. The only other option is find a cheap mini-DV camera that allows you set levels and record to that. I can't think of a camera for under $300 that allows you to set levels, but maybe somebody else knows of one.

Scott

Scott.. If a person like myself owns a lower end DV camera but wants a more professional quality audio then how can that be achieved using inexpensive equipment? I see my Panasonic GS120 has a external mic in. Is there a boom like mic I can purchase that will cut out background noise but still pic up people talking. I dont mean a boom mic that someone has to stand and hold over people but something that can mount on the camera itself.

The mic that comes with it picks up alot of background noise.

Don't cut corners

The one area that no film maker can afford to cut corners on is sound recording.

Without clean sound, any end product will be very compromised and in my experience the one area that shows the difference between an experienced film maker and someone just starting out, is the sound.

Unlike the pictures, there is very little you can do in post production to fix sound problems.

For anyone working digitally, the sound recording into your camera will be as good as any external recorder, providing that you have three things, a mixer, a good external mic and an experienced sound recordist, with good ears. If you are working on film, it would be criminal to record on anything less than dat or a hard drive recorder. You could use mini disc, but you get a phenomenal rate of compression on mini disc and most sound recordists only use them as a substitute for cassettes.

If a person like myself owns a lower end DV camera but wants a more professional quality audio then how can that be achieved using inexpensive equipment? I see my Panasonic GS120 has a external mic in. Is there a boom like mic I can purchase that will cut out background noise but still pic up people talking. I don't mean a boom mic that someone has to stand and hold over people but something that can mount on the camera itself.

In order to isolate people talking, you have to use a mic that has decreased sensitivity and is highly directional, or in other words, a mic that works best if it is very close and pointing directly at the person speaking. By it's very nature, a mic mounted on a camera can't do that. Unless you are doing documentary, where a boom mic may be too slow and too intrusive it is always going to be better use a boom, held by someone and mixed by a good sound recordist.

It's actuall amazing to me how much a movie is improved by good sound. They say the ratio is somewhere near 70/30 with an emphesis on sound. I could almost believe that. What I also find interesting is that you can get some decent sound without spending too much money as well. You can get an AT-897 for under $300
(US) and a decent low end mixer for the same price (this is assuming you can't find a sound guy who has his own stuff). Not bad comparatively

I believe the PV-GS120 has a boot on it, as well... you could look into the external zoom mic that they sell for it. Not sure about quality, but generally anything mounted away from the camera is better than the onboard mic. Shotgun mics on a boom are the best, but they're not always an option, either.

The other thing to consider would be buying an XLR block and a good shotgun mic. That will give you the best quality sound, though it's probably also the most expensive option...

Back