Disney vs Miramax

Disney seeks to block Miramax (a Disney-owned subsidary) from releasing Michael Moore's upcoming film, "Farenheit 911".

CNN news report

I particularly like this quote...

Emanuel said Eisner expressed particular concern that it would endanger tax breaks Disney receives for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where President Bush's brother, Jeb Bush, is governor.

Regardless, the film has already been picked up for the Cannes Film Festival, which will get to show it later this month. :shock:

I think the film should be released by some company, but Disney is just looking out for their own business interests (who can really blame them for that). Moore is being a crybaby about this, if he's gonna make political movies he should know that certain companies won't be willing to distribute it. If I make a doc that paints John Kerry in an unflattering light, I'd better be willing to suffer the consequences when no Hollywood company wants to ditribute it. Hollywood companies don't want to release controversial anything cause it might hurt business, we all know this.

The whole Jeb Bush relation was actully brought up by Moore, his website was the first to say anything about Eisner making that comment, and I read yesterday that Eisner is denying making the comment. I find it particularly funny though that they (really Moore) are smearing Brother Jeb for something they think he might do, not for something he actually did.

As I said before the film deserves to be seen because it is an American voice (Moore's) standing up for a belief. Whether or not Moore's voice is fueled by incredible insanity is a topic for another time.

Poke

Yes, the original source for that quote bounced around a bit before finally being attributed to a conversation between Moore's agent and Eisner.

Still, I'm glad that Disney corp must have decided that Miramax's "Kill Bill" films (and other Tarantino movies) were adequately suitable for the wholesome Mickey image... as well as every slasher/horror flick that Dimension Films has pumped out over the years. :wink:

It's totally up to Disney, but since they had already told the filmmaker they would distribute the movie; I think they should do it. You know? I think it's too late to back out.

Also, a monitary compensation wouldn't satisfy Moore, because I think it's more important to him to get his message out than make money.

Zensteve said:
Still, I'm glad that Disney corp must have decided that Miramax's "Kill Bill" films (and other Tarantino movies) were adequately suitable for the wholesome Mickey image... as well as every slasher/horror flick that Dimension Films has pumped out over the years. :wink:

Anyone who thinks that Disney makes good decisions never saw Pocahontas or Pocahontas 2: More Crappiness.

Also, it's not like this is the first time this has happened, anyone remember Dogma? In the end, Moore will get his way, and even more of his brain ooze will leak out.

Poke

pokewowplayer1 said:
Zensteve said:

Anyone who thinks that Disney makes good decisions never saw Pocahontas or Pocahontas 2: More Crappiness.

Also, it's not like this is the first time this has happened, anyone remember Dogma? In the end, Moore will get his way, and even more of his brain ooze will leak out.

Poke
LOL you watch Pocahontas 2? heheheh!

Well they should have known who they were dealing with from the begining. They should hjave known that if they were going to produce a film by Michael Moore about 911, they would end up here. DUH!

And maybe I'm just a big ideot, but what happened with Moore and Dogma?

Tine said:
And maybe I'm just a big ideot, but what happened with Moore and Dogma?

Not with Moore and Dogma, with Miramax and Dogma. Miramax produced Dogma for Kevin Smith then backed out, at the behest of Disney, after numerous catholic groups expressed anger.

Poke

I don't believe Disney should have put themselves into this political situation. Disney has a good image and for Eisner to get Disney involved in politics and controversial issues would hurt the image of the company.

According to Moore, Miramax agreed to finance and distribute the film before consulting Disney. When Disney found out, they were mad but never cut funding. They gave him over six million for production, but didn't actually decide to block the release until last week. AND THEY DID IT FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!! (Cue the X-Files music).

Of course that's all coming from the guy who thinks I like to kill people cause I'm white.

HA HA

Silly conspiracy theorist, I like to kill people cause they sound funny when they scream.

Poke

Mwa ha ha haaaaaaaaaa... you think he's kidding!? So what's the latest with the Micheal Moore fiasco anyhow... anyone heard anything moore... (excuse the pun)

According to AICN he's still shopping it around (with Weinstein's help). I particularly liked the part of the linked article where Moore said:

NO filmmaker wants to go through this kind of controversy. It does NOT sell tickets (I can cite many examples of movies who have had to change distributors at the last minute and all have failed).

Oh, Mr. Moore, you mean like Kevin Smith (Dogma, 30.6 Million US) and Mel Gibson (The Passion of the Christ, 300+ Million US, so far)

As US Army Pvt. Daniel Jackson (KIA) would say, "Careful you don't step in the horseshit."

Poke

Yes, Miramax stuck it out with Moore for about two days after Eisner's hammer fell, then started looking for another distributor.

Maybe MGM will pick it up... they must have done alright with their involvement with the "Bowling" film.

I have no doubt that Moore is milking this opportunity for exposure... as would any filmmaker. He knows what he is doing, and the contraversy will only help... especially with the political climate in general.

:shock:

Zensteve said:
I have no doubt that Moore is milking this opportunity for exposure... as would any filmmaker. He knows what he is doing, and the contraversy will only help... especially with the political climate in general.

I have no problem with the fact that he's milking it. I have a problem with his lying about milking it. This is a guy putting out a doc that he claims is supposed to give the truth, yet he can't even tell simple truths.

Poke

Latest news...

Disney is selling the film-rights to Bob & Harvery directly, who will then attempt to find a non-Miramax distributor.

NY Times link

So at least it is no longer dead in the water. :P

Back