help

Hey there,
i'm new to this game. So here it is : I have a script, i think its HOT (i mean ridiculous) i want to make it.......... what the heck do i do!
I'm looking for a director, i want to write proposition letters for financial aid...if there is anyone out there that is familiar HELP ME PLS

Hi

It's fantastic that you've got a script and that you are so enthusiastic about it. That is a great place to start.

Firstly, I strongly suggest that you don't tells us what it's about. There are lots of reasons why, but the most important one is about retaining control of your idea.

The next thing you need to do is register your script with the US copyright office, which is part of the Library of Congress. This establishes your copyright and gives you some protection over the script, if not the idea behind the script. You can't copyright an idea.

After that comes the hard part.

You say that you want to make this film. Let me give you a question to think about. Do you want to make this film, or do you want to see it made? These are two very different propositions.

If you want to make it yourself, then rather than looking for a director, I suggest you look for a producer. If the film is a feature, you could look for a well established short film maker, who is looking for a good script to move up into their first feature. If you have a great short film, then again it's a good idea to find an established short film maker who is looking for another project. In either case, these guys are unlikely to have money to pay for your script, therefore you can ask them to let you be part of the production process. This way you'll learn about how a film is put together, from development, through pre-production, principle photography and post-production.

The way you can tell a good producer from a bad one is that a good one will come back to you with your script covered in notes. However good you think your script is, I can gurantee that a good producer can help you make it better. This isn't because of your lack of experience, it is true of every script and every writer.

Now, if what you really want is to see the film made, rather than making it yourself, then you still need to look for a producer, but this time for one who can see the commercial value in your film. If it's a feature and it's as hot as you think it is, then finding a buyer for the script is the route to follow. This isn't easy. There are two strategies you could adopt, the first is to identify a production company who make films like the one that you've written. Do some research, call them or e-mail them and find out whether they take unsolicted scripts and if they do, what is their process. Chances are that what they'll want to see first is a treatment, rather than the script.

The other route is to go through the same process, but with agents rather than production companies. In the long term this is probably better, production companies get far too many unsolicted scripts and they know that most of them are going to stink, therefore they don't give them the attention that they sometimes deserve. However, a script introduced by a reliable agent is likely to get a more positive reading. Plus, a good agent will know who to put the script in front of. The additional bonuses with an agent are that they will get you a better deal and are more inclined to look your development as talent over the long term, not just a one of product. Again the route with agents is research. Contact them and find out whether they would be interested in reading your material. They will probably want to know what your CV is as a writer, a sample of your writing and what your career aspirations are.

Finally, if you can't get to first base with either either of these two routes, then find an ambitious film maker at your nearest film school and work with them to get the film made. This will start to build up your writing/film making CV, especially if the film does well in the right festivals.

Well this is awesome that people have responded and i'm truly grateful. Questions though, when asking for financial assistance what exactly should the proposition entail? and what do you do next?

Back