• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Concupiscence - comedy (7 min)

CONCUPSICENCE - 7 min comedy

QUICKTIME
http://www.sonnyboo.com/video/concup2.mov

REAL PLAYER
http://www.sonnyboo.com/video/concup2.rm

Synopsis - Two coworkers try to seduce the new girl at their copyshop.

Making of - shot with 2 Canon Optura camcorders, and super 8 film.

Behind the Scenes

Shot on location at Monk's Copy Shop downtown, this movie marks the first time a dolly was ever used in a Sonnyboo film. The flashback segments are shot on Super 8 movie film.

* Re-edited in late 2003 for TV distribution. 3 minutes were removed for content based on copyrights & trademarks obtained for the Internet, but not for other forms of distribution.

Concupiscence features the original songs "The B Song" and "No More Tears" by The Lucky 13 Band

More info here - http://www.sonnyboo.com/onlinemovies/concup.htm

Very good. I loved the Duck Tape line. The opening credits were exceptional. There were a coupld of shots that seemed poorly framed, but I liked the Kevin Smithesque feel to it.

Poke

The opening credits were cool...and the dolly shots were too. Good writing, and I'm becoming a fan of Osbeck, hehe. He's probably the best actor you consistently work with in my opinion. The closing credits shot was also very appropriate. I got nothin but compliments for this one, hehe. Great Job.

One thing I noticed, there's one part where Osbeck is talking to the girl, alone, from across the room...it cuts to a shot of just her and there is someone's arm in the frame that's leaning on the box right next to her. It might have slipped your attention.

In most other venues, this is my most criticized piece. I had begun to lose all confidence in it. At the time of making it, this was my best put together piece right before embarking on a 12 short project with actors from the Second City.

I re-edited this to remove my Internet Only music (I had the Love Boat theme in one scene, but I had Internet Only rights to the music). The shot of Osbeck's arm in frame before he walks up to her is a slip because it does not show on NTSC TV's, but online you see EVERYTHING.

The opening credits are practical effects shows using the "Michael Bay" (Tiffen Horizon) filter. I printed the credits on sheets of paper, crumpled up and shot them handheld walking up and back. I am an After Effects Guru, but I chose to use a more hybrid technique based on the E! Television promos.

Jon Osbeck - what can I say about one of the best actors I know? He's the lead in my 35mm shoot this weekend. He's got the special sauce. Jon is like a young extra talented Bruce Willis for the new millenium. He can do ANYTHING. Just wait until he uleashes his "MANN" series of shorts online soon. It's a character he created and series he directed himself.
http://www.jonosbeck.com

Dennis Wiggins who plays the Boss is my favorite unsigned character actor of all time. If he lived in LA, he'd be on a sitcom in about 10 seconds. I start cackling like a 12 year old everytime I here " No.... No..... NO.... GODDAMN IT!!!!"

Brandy LeClaire (now Seymour) has a site too - www.brandyseymour.com

No this was never on IFC. They passed on it very fast. A complete list of TV shows and regions that have played it is forthcoming.

I don't see the Kevin Smith in this. I tried to toy with the notion of the "two guys, one nice, one not" and turn it upside down for the semi-twist ending. I realized afterwards what I did was write more in the style of my true hero JOSS WHEDON. Take expectations & jumble it around a bit. Film Threat reviewed this and said the same thing. http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=4265 ((again, leading to my not having much faith in this piece along with several similar reviews))

As a bonus on my site for those wanting to compare/contrast/learn - here's the original shooting draft screenplay - http://www.sonnyboo.com/ACROBAT/concup.pdf - There's a bit of dialogue cut from the movie and you can read the way I write my scripts for shooting. It's just a cool bonus I add to help/demonstrate the difference between written word & actors delivery and improvisations.

BY the way...may I ask how you shoot widescreen? Is that just a feature that your camera has? I know how to do it in post, but I'm sure that's not the best way.

(I ask this because I only have a cheap camcorder with no such feature)

On my current cam(1 chip sony hi-8...not that great) it has an option for 16:9 (a widescreen aspect ratio) so check your cameras settings.

LOGAN L Productions said:
BY the way...may I ask how you shoot widescreen? Is that just a feature that your camera has? I know how to do it in post, but I'm sure that's not the best way.

Time for me to geek out on you all....

This was shot on the Canon Optura (the original) and I usually shoot on the Canon GL1 when I use video. I chose the 16:9 setting, which is the "anamorphic" setting. The footage when played on a regular TV or moniter looks like everything is tall and skinny. I then edit the footage with the "widescreen" settings in Adobe Premiere.

When I have a final edit, I export the whole movie as a single AVI file. Since I capture using the Canopus DVRAPTOR card, I use the RAPTOR plugins and settings. After I export the edited movie, I pull it into a program called "VIDEO DOCTOR TOOLS" that came with the DVRAPTOR. It has a unique way of letterboxing the 16:9 footage. It keeps the file as a 16:9 AVI, but squeezes the image and puts the black bars in.

After exporting a new AVI that is now letterboxed, when played on the PC people look short & fat, but on a TV it looks perfect. The reason for this is that it maintains the full resolution an 16:9 anamorphic AVI's are actually still 720x480, but they use rectangular pixels. This method maintains the rectagular pixels, but gives the proper aspect ratio for letterboxed images.

For the Super 8 footage, I ran it through the same thing, but I had to re-render the file to make it match the 16:9 letterbox images.

Similar methods are to use Premiere, setup a 4:3 standard project, improt your 16:9 footage and right click and "maintain aspect ratio". It re-renders it, but I have found the results to be sub par.

Why go through all this? The rectangular shape is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

sonnyboo said:
I don't see the Kevin Smith in this.

Two guys, sitting around a talking about a woman is a scene Kevin Smith would do. The dialogue, though not as crisp, is Smithesque - especially the girl's. You, of course had better cinematography than Clerks, but it's in the same vein.

Poke

From the synopsis I was expecting to see more of the second guy in the film. Maybe he was in the parts that were edited out.

I think I was hoping to see a bit more of "over the top" humour, in a film which is basically men-are-pigs. I'm going to find the original online cut, and compare :)

Zensteve said:
I'm going to find the original online cut, and compare :)

Try here (free online registration required)
http://www.movieflix.com/movie_info.mfx?movie_id=2633

Other than that, I think they are all the shorter version.

I only cut one bit out with the other guy (Steve Wagner playing "Peter"), something to do with a magic 8 ball.

It's meant to be more like sitcom humor without the audience laugh track in the first half, then more of a chick flick in the second half. Not all men are pigs, but this isn't the whole pie of human existence, just a slice.

Liked it...

Noticed one continuity blurp...

After she catches him spinning in the chair you cut to a shot of her and you see his watch in the frame but in the next scene he hasn't walked over to stand by her yet.

The boss guy was great...would've liked to see more of him.

Thanks all! I am pleasantly surprised by the response to this film. It gets bashed a lot on TRIGGERSTREET.COM. I mean a LOT.

donald gregory said:
"the best cinematography on a Sonnyboo short yet"

have you seen 'Elevator' or 'Driver's License Exam'?

Elevator has HORRIBLE framing and camerawork...

License Exam is pretty good. MIGUEL did a fantastic job.

The best Sonnyboo camerawork has yet to be scene... the 35mm/16mm film arrives today, and the transfer is tomorrow...

i actually laughed out loud!

i find most online shorts, no matter how funny they are, to be excruciatingly hard to watch. but this was great! and, i have a real soft spot for Super 8. It had a great contrast with the video footage- the change in medium was enough to let the viewer know that they were watching a flashback. No special effects needed.

i don't, however, think the kevin smith would dare to tread in the territory of the Office. i think it's generally regarded as a pretty sterile and humorless environment, so the fact that this movie is so balls-to-the-wall funny is actually a huge achievement.

Back