• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New Screen Broadcasting wants your films...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Screen Broadcasting is a television network in the vein of Sundance Channel and IFC...without all of the prerequisite requirements. No million dollar budgets, nobody named "Lucas" or "Spielburg" and no one to tell you what your work "SHOULD" look like. Just artists telling stories. Their own stories.

If you want to be seen, if you want your story told, if you're tired of not being accepted or if you just think it would be nice to be on a new nationwide television network designed from the ground up to reward the artist and their vision, contact New Screen Broadcasting directly by way of their website at www.newscreenbroadcasting.com. But don't wait too long. With over 100 submissions arriving weekly, the first-run schedule will be full in just a few weeks.

Currently accepting work for the debut in July 2004. Don't miss out on this huge opportunity to show the world what you see.

"Your Vision, Our Network!"
New Screen Broadcasting

MM

>> Keep ads in Classified Ads.

moved from "IndieTalk" to "Festivals and Screenings".

Thanks .. and welcome!

This is not an "ad", but a legitimate television festival. It is much better suited to be in this forum than in a classified section.

Thanks,
MM

New Screen Broadcasting wants your $30

It costs $30 per submission, but I don't see anything like a "festival". There's no competition or jury or anything else like networking that a festival brings to the table.

And since this is for TV, aren't you charging advertising (IE commercials)? Film festivals do not show TV commercials, nor do they charge ad rates like that, so they need submission fees to operate. If you're charging for commercials, what do you need the submission fees for?

I've got over 30 short films, but that's $900 in submission fees and that would pay for the air time slots by itself, and my movies may not even get selected.

If you're getting over 100 submissions a week as you state on your website, then you are raking in the money before you even advertise. I don't see why you can't just take the movies for free and charge advertising like any other TV show. Why charge the poor, no budget filmmakers?

Like has been asked - what do we get for $30 per film?

I would very much like to submit, but I am a bit put off by the extremely high submissions fee. I have over 30 short films to submit, and I don't feel like paying, quite frankly - anything. Most of my short films are represented by BIG FILM SHORTS distribution company ((www.bigfilmshorts.com)) and it usually works the other way. I generally get paid for my short films. Several times I have chosen to make an exception and give the shorts away for free to shows like yours. I would like to give my shorts to your show for free, but I do not want to pay any $$$ for the consideration.

Paying entry fees for a film festival differentiates greatly in that the film festivals use entry fees for expenses, but your TV show is charging advertisers, so you make money from the advertisers and that should cover your expenses, the same as all other TV shows, and NOT charge the filmmakers for content. I am a poor filmmaker with little enough money to spend on promoting my works, I can't afford to spend $900 for you to consider my films so you can then profit on them with advertisers too.

I am asking that you reconsider the $30 entry fees. Not paying the artists for the content you are profitting on is okay (you are doing all the work for the show), but charging them on top of collecting ad revenues for their content is a bit dodgey.

As I said, I would love to have my works on your progamming, but not at a COST $30 per flick. For a TV show on the entire eastern seaboard, I got PAID $75 per minute for 5 short films (www.beststudentshorts.com), and another show that is in the midwest is paying $50 per minute for their regional show reaching over 1 million people is OUTSIDER CINEMA SHOWCASE (www.thedreamdepot.com).

- Peter John Ross
www.sonnyboo.com

In the UK, tv stations pay YOU £100 a minute for showing a YOUR short (if they choose to put it on the tele)... what's up with the submission fees eh?

IFC The Independent Film Channel and the Sundance Channel pay anywhere from $300-$3,000 per short film here in the states.

Movieola the Short Film Channel in Canada pays for short films as well.

They make their money on ADVERTISORS and air :30 second "commercials" for which they are paid for this, so they can make a profit from large corporations.

Maybe he will come back and answer these questions. Until then, let's not gang up on him ;)

Sorry guys, life's been beating me with the claw end of a carpenter's hammer.

Here are a few anwsers with regards to New Screen Broadcasting.

First, there is no entry fee for the majority of submissions. The network is supported by commercial interests and promotional messages in between films, but in some cases a fee is paid for the legal releases necessary for broadcast. Some larger networks can afford to swallow up these legal fees. Unfortunately, New Screen isn't in that position just yet. However, the best way to find out exactly what your film's requirements are is to send an email directly to the president's desk. Believe it or not, the guy responds to his own email and he's an artist himself...so he understands the need to express yourself as well as the need to conserve money.

The broadcast festival required entry fees in order to pay celebrity judges, buy studio time, pay for transportation and security and to cover some of the neccessary associated fees, but that submission deadline, as the site states has passed, and the "festival", as it were, is officially over and is being posted for broadcast as I type this message.

As a side note, while some here quote random figures about what the other networks "pay" to run films, what they have neglected to mention is that IFC and Sundance are no longer for the "little guy" and are clearly aiming at $1 Million dollar films. Unless you produce a commercially viable product that can be supported by corporate America, your film will most likely NOT fit the predesigned schedule at either of these outlets. That being said, it is true that in some cases, they will actually pay to screen a film, but in most of those instances, there are stipulations and legal roadblocks that keep the film maker from profiting from his own work for a specific period of time or showing at another venue during it's broadcast run. Not that it's a bad arrangement, just that we view your creativity as the valuable part of your vision instead of the fictional value placed on some of these other alternative networks.

Here's the general breakdown as it's been explained to me. You create a film. That film will either screen at festivals or be screened as part of another creative outlet somewhere on Earth. Now, assuming that your work isn't snatched up by Hollywood, and assuming that you've invested a bit of money, not to mention your investment of yourself into the project, the general idea is that you have the opportunity to tell your story, your way. If your film submission does require a fee, then you will get some very specific paperwork that lets you know that your work will be screened "this many times" in "this time-frame". In other words, if I were to enter my own work, I'd send it for evaluation (which is virtually painless as very few are turned down unless simply impossible to air), I'd get a response and a request for broadcast, you'd get a defined term of time...like 30 days of broadcast and a rotation of no more than twice per week during the time of day where the work would garner the most viewers for it's genre, and then you'd have the option to rebroadcast your program as often as once per month for the next 6 months as part of a "rewind/replay" for those who didn't get to see the film during its initial broadcast. Basically, a LOT of exposure for a little investment of your time.

Here's the problem. New Screen Broadcasting has gone to great lengths to build a newtwork from the ground up that supports the artists vision, without rebuttle, without remark and without direct criticism or judgment, except where obviously noted otherwise. We respect the ideas and the artists who offer them. We must start somewhere and the goal is to do it with the people who DO NOT have the ability to speak their mind in the places where most "accepted" filmmakers do. Those venues are all tied up with million dollar muck that doesn't account for the guys who don't draw huge commercial dollars. We're the alternative... Our interests lay in establishing an environment of "creative profitability" pure and simple.

Now, please, if you want to tell your story and if you are even the least bit interested, shoot them an email directly and I assure you, answers are available. Unfortunately, I don't have them all, but I'm willing to do what I can to get this network out and into the open. We need to be heard...and if we succeed in doing this, we will not be forced to wait until everyone else screens at Cannes before we finally get to tell our stories.

Yours,
MM

fishy

munkittrick said:
First, there is no entry fee for the majority of submissions.

Okay, so how do we tell which entries require a fee at all? According to the submission page, all entries must be accompanied by $30 entry fee per submission ( although you get 2 for 1 with shorts under 6 minutes).

munkittrick said:
As a side note, while some here quote random figures about what the other networks "pay" to run films, what they have neglected to mention is that IFC and Sundance are no longer for the "little guy" and are clearly aiming at $1 Million dollar films.

And secondly, I sold a short to IFC Candada and I am a little guy, and not just because of my 5'2" height - I am a nobody and my budget was in the tens of dollars. The prices quoted are what SUNDANCE and IFC pay per film for exclusive 1-3 year contracts. I agree that they prefer money making big name shorts, but they still take stuff from the little guys too.

munkittrick said:
Our interests lay in establishing an environment of "creative profitability" pure and simple.

Look, I really, really like your shows idea and want to submit, but I can't afford $900 to find out IF you'll take any of them. Your show is a GOOD idea, but $30 per is insanely expensive, especially considering that you are charging for commercials and making double the profit, and nothing I read stated that we, the filmmakers providing your show with all of it's content - even get paid ever.

FROM THE ENTRY FORM - You are granting these rights without any payment by us other than the opportunity you will have for exposure of your works to the public.

"Creative profitability" for the show, but not for the artists that are paying to make you more money?

munkittrick said:
If your film submission does require a fee, then you will get some very specific paperwork that lets you know that your work will be screened "this many times" in "this time-frame". In other words, if I were to enter my own work, I'd send it for evaluation (which is virtually painless as very few are turned down unless simply impossible to air), I'd get a response and a request for broadcast, you'd get a defined term of time...like 30 days of broadcast and a rotation of no more than twice per week during the time of day where the work would garner the most viewers for it's genre, and then you'd have the option to rebroadcast your program as often as once per month for the next 6 months as part of a "rewind/replay" for those who didn't get to see the film during its initial broadcast. Basically, a LOT of exposure for a little investment of your time.

According to this, if I include the $30 submission fe, I am guaranteed, unless unable to broadcast, that my short will air on the network?

I guess I still do not understand. I don't think this is a scam, but I am missing the point. I will happily submit my works to you for free, and let you even make money on them & not pay me. But I don't understand why I should have to pay $30 a pop on top of that. I have not read a single word that tells me what I get for my $30.

1. The ONLY way to tell if you will be charged or if the fees will be waived is to ask them directly.

2. There are no un-sponsored "little guy" shorts on Sundance, and those that do grace the waves at IFC are clearly done so to show what "other people" are doing. IFC is clearly going for more of a mainstream type film and Sundance would be crazy to step out of their money-for-exposure theme as it has made them huge. I'm not saying that no one without a million dollar budget doesn't get seen, just that they don't get the majority of the space and are seen in-between the real meat of the presentations. New Screen wants to make the little guy front-and-center. It's admitedly a far cry from the norm, but new ideas make new things happen.

3. "Creative profitability" is a term that I used to describe the vibe that New Screen Broadcasting sends out. Obviously there are numerous ways and means to make this happen, and of course legal jargon has to be used in the day and age that we are blessed to be a part of, but believe me, New Screen wants to give the opportunity to be seen. They don't claim to make you rich and I assure you that their intentions aren't to gain from you, the artist. Instead, they don't want to be forced into a contractual negotiation for something that doesn't necessitate one. If you want to get rich, you open a doughnut shop next to a police station, you don't go out of pocket for a million or five just to prove a point. Their heart is in extending some courtesy to artists and creatives, not in selling, buying or trading your work for anything except for eyeballs.

4. No one wants to take your work for free. New Screen wants to share it with the world. There is a difference. Listen, they could buy syndicated shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier and too many others to fill up 24 hours of programming, but they sincerely like the idea of using this opportunity to put artists in front of the world. Sure, they have to make some money, and I'm sure a time will come when buying films will become a possibility, but in the mean time it's a chance to been seen, heard and respected in a venue that most of us will never get to be a part of.

Basically, I'm not gaining anything by sharing this with you. I don't work for New Screen Broadcasting, I don't profit from their choices and I don't expect to do anything but share the opportunity with other artists. I'm a guy who made a movie who never got to share his story and I don't want anyone else to have to experience that regret, sadness and feeling of worthlessness that comes due to the choise of big business. I'm just a guy who wants to reach out to all of the other "just-a-guys" to get the word out. If you like the opportunity, tell another artist, and if they like it, have them tell someone. Speak up, tell your story and make a statement. Artists unite!

MM

Still haven't heard what I get for my $30 per film....

munkittrick said:
1. The ONLY way to tell if you will be charged or if the fees will be waived is to ask them directly.

I emailed over a week ago and got no response...

munkittrick said:
3. "Creative profitability" New Screen wants to give the opportunity to be seen.

Correction, they want to charge you $30 a pop to get considered for the opportunity. When someone "gives" me something, it usually doesn't cost anything. That's the "giving" part.

munkittrick said:
4. Listen, they could buy syndicated shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier and too many others to fill up 24 hours of programming, but they sincerely like the idea of using this opportunity to put artists in front of the world.

Yes, and Seinfeld and every syndicated show on the planet will cost them money. Those syndicated shows are the "content" for which they can profit by selling commercials. Do they charge syndicators $30 a show to see if they're interested in progamming it?

All I am saying is, it's my opinion that this venue is not worth $30 a film.

Here's why there are a HOST of other networks (some nationwide, others international) that offer the same service and even broader reach and are NOT charging:

For anyone who cannot afford $30 a film, here is a list of other "opportunities", some with even greater levels of exposure on Television for your short films that do NOT cost a dime, and some are even PAYING you....

-------------------------

SHORT FORM FILMS
UK Short Film Channel for SKY NETWORK (starts Jan 2004)
http://www.shortformfilms.com/

10 Greek Street,
London W1D 4DH
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7851 4545

(they will accept NTSC DVD's and VHS, but they prefer PAL)

MOVIOLA
Canadian cable short film channel

http://www.movieola.ca
Submissions
15 Atlantic Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6K 3E7

SHORT TV
U.S. short film network in several markets in US
http://www.shorttv.com/

Acquisitions
251 53rd Street
Brooklyn, NY 11220

Giggleshorts TV
TV show for comedic short films
http://www.giggleshorts.com

submissions:
1448 Lawrence Ave. E. unit 19
P.O. Box 62038
Victoria Terrace P.O.
Toronto Ont.
Canada M4A 2W1

The Independent Film Channel IFC
attn Acquisitions
200 Jericho Quadrangle
Jericho, NY 11753

IFC accepts unsolicited short films (under 30 minutes). Tapes will
not be returned and you will only hear from us if them want to
license your film.

THE SUNDANCE CHANNEL
Ian Bricke
Sundance Channel Acquisitions
1633 Broadway, 8th floor
New York, NY 10019

If you've got a completed short (30 seconds to 40 minutes) or feature length film (over 40 minutes), they want to see it. Here's what you'll need to send to be considered:

VHS copy of the completed film.

Information packet on the project including (1) brief synopsis, (2)
reviews (if you have any), (3) film festival history, (4) production
notes and (5) director/cast/crew backgrounds

Contact information including your (1) name, (2) postal address, (3) telephone number and (4) email address.

----------------------------

ROCK THEATRE
http://www.rocktheatre.net

Tennesee cable show

--------------------------

Mind Ignites
Australian TV distributor of short films

http://www.imaginites.com/webcontent3.htm

"Tightshorts" is another TV opportunity, but in Southern Calfornia...

http://www.uclatv.com/tightshorts/index.html

------------------------

TV VILLAGE -

Papaya Media
ATTN: TVvillage Indie Spotlight
P.O. Box 22501
San Francisco, CA 94122-0501

While we love films of all types, we can air films that are less than 15 minutes long. If your film is longer, please specify which 15 minutes you would like to show

You are granting TVvillage the non-exclusive right to broadcast your film up to four (4) times on cable television.

http://www.tvvillage.com

--------------------------

The Short List

The Short List
The Production Center
SDSU
5500 Campanile Drive, COM124
San Diego, CA 92182-7601
Phone (619) 246-9496 Fax (619) 462-8266
e-mail: shortlist@mail.sdsu.edu

http://www.theshortlist.cc

------------------------------

BRIT SHORTS

Britshorts is continuing to acquire titles for its award winning international catalogue of short films. Working hard to expand the number of distribution outlets for short film, we supply content to over ninety syndication partners worldwide.

Send your film to:

Britshorts Ltd
25 Beak Street
London W1F 9RT
UK

http://www.britshorts.com

---------------------------------

VEGAS INDIES TV

http://www.vegas-indies.tv/id10.html

* FYI! they charge $20 per submission! But it is a chance tog et seen on TV.
--------------------------------------

OUTSIDER CINEMA SHOWCASE

AND THIS ONE - is seeking shorts, and they claim to be paying up to $1,000 per short. Be sure to tell them ROSS sent ya

http://www.thedreamdepot.com/submit3/index.htm

The Dream Depot is currently seeking shorts for its weekly television show. We’re seeking shorts with a running time of 1 to 21 minutes.

Any original format, any genre – all are accepted and welcome! (Please check out our FAQ page for restrictions on nudity, profanity and graphic violence)

We will pay a flat fee of UP TO $1,000 (depending on the length) for a six-month option for the North American Television Rights to your film. You retain your copyrights.

What we will need from you now:
1. The Film(s) – your 1 to 21 minute production on a DVD (Region 1 or All Region), or VHS (NTSC).

2. Press Information – including synopsis, film production information, cast and crew list, production stills, awards and festivals submissions information.

Please send your film short(s), press and contact information to:

The Dream Depot
PO Box 98
Kilbourne, Ohio
43032-0098

If you have any specific questions, please email us at:
Submit@theDreamDepot.com

http://www.reeldealtv.com/shorts.php

The Reel Deal
c/o Matthew Glasson
78 Norman Ave, 1st Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11222

Artists who have been selected will receive notification via email or phone with information regarding their episode. Also, once a month, we will select a featured artist from each episode and host their short film on the website for the month that the episode airs.

Showcasing your work on The Reel Deal is in no way exclusive and you're free to submit your pieces to other festivals, showcases and distributors.

Check back to the site for updates, showtimes and featured shorts in the future. Any other questions can be sent to info@reeldealtv.com.

The Award Winning cable program,

Indie Film Showcase,

is accepting submissions for its new season in the Twin Cities. IFS is a cable program that highlights the work of Independent Filmmakers and exposes their work to the Twin Cities market. 7-8 pm, Saturday and Sunday for a month. No Fees. Send your work in any format (Beta, 3/4, Mini, DVCPro, the 8's) in a SASE for return to

Indie Film Showcase,
2134 Roth Pl.,
White Bear Lake, MN. 55110.

" Also, you can send email to mailto:Prolepic2@hotmail.com

Independent Cable Channel 53 of St. Augustine, Florida is looking for short films of 5 to 60 minutes. These films will be shown during commercial breaks to support independent filmmakers by providing exposure to a cable television audience. We are looking for any category of films in either color or black and white. Please include a short bio with contact information or a small clip (<30 seconds) included at the end of your submission. All submissions need to be in NTSC format and stored on DVD, miniDV, or SVHS.

If you have a movie that you would like to have broadcasted, then send your film to :

Brian Mitchell
c/o Ancient City Network
1260 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd., Suite E
St. Augustine, FL 32084

All films will be reviewed for content and suitability for display. There is no guarantee that all films will be aired. Tapes will not be returned. Submission of film gives ACN the right to air and edit for time if necessary. No payments will be given for submissions.

samg@aug.com
info@ancientcitynetwork.com

KAOS Network, a non-profit media arts organization in Los Angeles, is currently seeking submissions for a monthly film & video series. This series is dedicated to screening ultra low-no budget, guerrilla, and underground film & video works in animation, documentary, narrative, experimental, etc..... Film/videomakers are encouraged to speak about their work. There is NO ENTRY FEE and all entries must be under 20 minutes, including titles. "We are seeking entries on an onging basis for future shows."

Send it (VHS, SVHS, or 3/4" to:

KAOS (attn: film/video)
4343 Leimert Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90008

(SASE for tape return) for more info: (323)296-5717 or ga6y@earthlink.net

SHORTS

http://www.geocities.com/theshortsshow/shortpage.html

My name is Dan Schaefer and I produce a local(Portland Metro area)short film television show called "Shorts". Currently we are looking for new and exciting films to be aired on the show. We have had a lot of success with this years programing including shorts from, Mike Wellins(of Will Vinton Studios fame), Webster Colcord(Lucasfilm), Wes Houle(Drug Store Cowboy Lighting designer)and many others. You can go to the website at:

http://www.geocities.com/theshortsshow/shortpage.html

or you can e-mail me directly on how to submit your film at:

theshortshow@yahoo.com

Once we recieve your film you will be notified of it's airtime and airdates. We are looking for original material so keep copyright material in mind when submitting. For instance, music authorization for example. Also NTSC on a DV tape is the best source to send your film on. This can be a problem if you are out of the US and submit on PAL or Seacam formats. Also the quality of DV tape is higher for broadcast that VHS. DVD are difficult to, so please send it on a tape. One other question people have is, "should I submit it if it is an old film? Should I send a current project?". The answer is send your eariest work as well, many people have probably not had the chance to see your work and would like to. So send what you have.

For inquiries send to: theshortsshow@yahoo.com

Send your short film to:

Shorts
TVTV
11375 SW Center St.
Suite B
Beaverton, OR 97005

Thanks,

Dan Schaefer
Producer/Shorts

Indy Film Showcase
Warren Workman
216 E 600 N
Orem UT 84057

Short film cable show in UTAH that plays in Park City, home of the Sundance Film Festival.

I just thought I would let you know about a new TV show starting it's season this March. The show is called the Indy Film Showcase. As the name hints this is a film critique show but it is ment for the indy filmmaker and indy film fans. The show is to be broadcast all over utah including Park City, the home of Sundance. There is no charge to be on the show (because REAL indy filmmakers have no money). It your interested in haveing your film featured on our show drop me a line at Warren_workman@yahoo.com

National Lampoon's Comedy Academy
Renowned comedy publisher National Lampoon recently acquired Lorne Michaels' Burly Bear Network to create National Lampoon Networks. We are producing a new program with a working title of "National Lampoon's Comedy Academy" to be hosted by funny girl, Alison Becker. The program features comedic short films, stand-up and sketch comedy from the best up and coming writers, comedians and directors.

We would like to extend an invitiation to all to submit your films, skecthes and/or stand-up acts. Short films may be 30-seconds to 8-minutes in length. Films can be of any nature (animation, film, digital, etc) as long as they have a comedic sensibility. We are happy to view your films on Beta, BetaSP, DVD or miniDV (prefered).

Point your web broswer to the following URL for more info:

http://www.nationallampoonnetworks.com/10_submissions/10_submissions.asp

Should your film be selected, we will contact you. The program reaches 5-millions homes. This is a terrific exposure opportunity for your film, act or ideas.

America's Best Student Shorts

Glen Echo Associates, LLC
7212 Helmsdale Road
Bethesda, Maryland 20817

Dear Moviemaker,

Student moviemakers are producing great shorts, but few people ever see them. They can be posted on the web, or entered in festivals, for a fee. Yet mainstream audiences are denied the opportunity to appreciate the time, effort, and talent that students have put into their projects, and student moviemakers are denied the exposure they deserve.

America’s Best Student Shorts places great student shorts before the general public. America’s Best Student Shorts is a weekly half-hour TV program that showcases six or eight student projects ranging from one to ten minutes in length and averaging three or four minutes.

America’s Best Student Shorts appeals to a late night audience. It is targeted at independent commercial TV stations in major markets.

We are actively acquiring limited, nonexclusive licenses to include student shorts in the show. The copyright holder retains the copyright and control over the short, and can enter festivals and market the short in other venues.

America’s Best Student Shorts is an excellent way for students to showcase their talents before a broad audience. In addition, we provide an honorarium that can help finance festival entries or launch the next project. The honorarium for the shorts that we license and showcase is $75/minute. The exposure we give student work may well lead to other opportunities to sell rights.

The shorts may be live action, stop action, or animation and any subject or genre, but they must have high production values and they must be entertaining to a late night audience. America’s Best Student Shorts is not aimed at an audience of experimental film cognoscenti.

There is no submission fee. Send the submission agreement along with your movie (VHS or DVD, please) to the address above. Questions? Check the FAQs, then e-mail us.

With best regards,

Tom Hoopengardner, Producer
America's Best Student Shorts

Here are a few things you will need in order to be ABLE to broadcast on TV:

· One BETA SP (stereo) videotape master of the Picture in the
NTSC format;
· VHS NTSC videotape copies;
· One 3/4" dub from the videotape master, if requested;
· And, if requested, one BETA SP master videotape in the PAL
format:
· And, if requested, any other master tape format (i.e.,
digital, etc.);
· A sample of all advertising accessories available for the
Picture including still photos;
· A dialogue list and music cue sheet;
· Release print(s) in available format if requested and
approved by you for theatrical rental(s);
· Authorization to the laboratories, pre-print materials and
foreign tracks and accessories to accept our orders for materials to permit us to service agreements;
· The copyright registration for the Picture, and other chain-
of-title and insurance information
· Copies of all paperwork giving permission and release for:
use of Actors or statement re/SAG agreement; Writers; all Music;
Trademarks and Logos; Clips or excerpts from other copyrighted
material, and in certain instances, Locations.

If you don't have these things, no one will play this on TV in larger markets.

For free online example of a "music cue sheet -> http://www.royalty-free.tv/rftv/cuesheetsample.htm

* this also means if your stealing copyrighted music, or illegally
using trademarks - you can't submit. You have to pay for that stuff first or replace the music with something original.

hope these links & addresses help.

- Peter John Ross,
www.sonnyboo.com

Going right down the list...

1. I'm pretty sure that they were in Vegas at NAB pitching a few sponsors, but they do email regularly...so if you're not getting yours, you might want to try again.

2. No one "gives" you anything for free. If they do, it's value is commensurate. To expect otherwise is nonsensical.

3. What I'm saying is that if you don't value your work enough to have it viewed on an artist-based network, you probably are going to look at the potential for a fee to be too much investment regardless of that fee. And don't mistake what I've said as an insult. It's not, but it is a question of motives and a driving question that forces me to ask, "Who are you?" in the most general sense of the question. However, seeing as how I've never been charged a fee myself, and feel that most people who ask for free entry would get it, I don't mind the investment of time to be part of something new and powerful.

Furthermore, I can name off another 20 places that MIGHT air my films that MIGHT be remotely interested in my kind of storytelling and I can shoot off over 10 places that I HAVE been broadcast, but of those, NONE OF THEM helped the art of filmmaking and less than half of them were concerned with the artist and even fewer actually lived up to their promises. And sure, $50 bucks to air my 2 minute flick about a guy who meets the devil in a department store might seem some kind of half-pinched, pseudo-reward for airing it, but if you look at EVERY single one of the names listed above, they want the right to redistribute your work as part of compilations, rebroadcast at their leisure without notice for up to 12 months (some only request 60 days and one or two ask for a certain number of runs) and actually charge you the money that they'd be paying you for "filing and legal fees". Hell, two ofthe programs you list above charge you to air it ONE TIME and then they can use it in their own promotions for up to a year. WHAT? That might make good sense to a videomaker, but a guy dropping $8k on film stock and/or an HDTV rig rental isn't interested in seeing pieces of his work jammed into a promo for the next year.

Listen, you an I can sort each other out for weeks with no clear resolution, but know this. I don't like the idea that someone is going to be making money off of my film, ESPECIALLY when it's not for the right casues, but by helping organizations like this one make artists the masters of their own design/future, it offers many more creative options. Supporting Sundance and IFC isn't a necessary thing these days and being publicly portrayed as one of their "film hoods" doesn't add up to a worthwhile chance at real filmmaking like it did 6 years ago.

Without making any perceived or assumed critical commentary of your own work, I'd highly suggest that "if" you have other outlets that can get you exposure with no investment, you take them, but don't make this specific opportunity less valuable because you either read it as too expensive for yourself, or becasue it doesn't meet your expectations of broadcast. I'm just a guy and I could truly be no less interested in the politics of broadcasting/filmmaking and the way that everyone works around the process and pagentry just to be seen and/or noticed. If you want to be seen, heard and part of something new...email New Screen Broadcasting. If you're content with your work and lucrative offers are flying in every door at a spine twinging pace...let me know your secret.

The bottom line is that I expect a lot from anyone who will be airing my films and I expect a lot more from the people involved in that process. New Screen respects my wishes, rights and goals as a filmmaker and will offer you the same. Our little noticed social commentary here has done nothing more than make people question an entry fee that doesn't even exist in the majority of cases. And that's bad for the art as a whole.

I'm off to cast for a feature we're working on. We're going to be spending upwards of $100k and we expect some decent distribution as we're working with a few know producers...but you'll be able to see it on New Screen Broadcasting as soon as we can get it packaged.

MM

munkittrick said:
but if you look at EVERY single one of the names listed above, they want the right to redistribute your work as part of compilations, rebroadcast at their leisure without notice for up to 12 months (some only request 60 days and one or two ask for a certain number of runs) and actually charge you the money that they'd be paying you for "filing and legal fees". Hell, two ofthe programs you list above charge you to air it ONE TIME and then they can use it in their own promotions for up to a year. WHAT?

This is horribly innaccurate (as in flat out UNTRUE)

Only one on that list charged VEGAS INDIES TV, and he is no longer charging, according to another thread on this board. Can you state which other one charges? I assume you can count to 2, so please let me know.

MOST of the items on the list do NOT require broadcast rights past 1-3 years or alternate distributions, you said every single one. Only 4 out of 23 of those require OTHER licenses beyond broadacst, and I don't think that's a bad thing. It means MORE EXPOSURE FOR YOU AND YOUR FILM. That's a good thing.

You are making an awful lot of assumptions. I have signed on with 16 of the 23 venues I listed. I actually have copies of their contracts, as does my distributor (Big Film Shorts). All 16 of them are supportive of the filmmaker. I can say this having worked with them, you have not. Unless you have some evidence, it's a horrbile thing to say that none of them are interested in the artists.

Out of the 16 venues, I have been charged NOTHING for hidden filing fees or other nonsense. I have already recieved PAYMENT from 2 of them. The checks cleared too, so they are legit, timely, and courteous. If PAYING YOU for your short film isn't supportive of the filmmaker, I don't know what is.

For myself and who I am, I'm pretty comfy with that. I would like to add this one to my list and promote it as fervently as you, but I cannot in good conscience do that if they are raping filmmaker for $30 a film, then turning around an making a profit on it for themselves with commercials too. It is my opinion, and this is a forum for opinions, that this is one of many similar, but much less epensive opportunities reaching similar demographics. How is that detrimental to the art of filmmaking? Kiss my ass that this is a bad thread for artists.

I do get a lot of calls now for my short films. Wanna know the secret? I submitted to every free opportunity to get my films seen. I submit to festivals with entry fees, but they are without commercials, so they have no other income. I got a distributor for most of my short films by being diligent and exporing EVERY opportunity. MOVIEOLA in Canada called me, I didn't submit to them. They found my short film website.

It still all comes down to this - Filmmaker pays $30 and New Screen MIGHT play it, they MIGHT not. Filmmaker can submit to other TV outlets, and it MIGHT play, it MIGHT not, but Filmmaker is still not out $30 with other 23 outlets.

In the end - I would follow MM's advice. EMAIL NEW SCREEN an try to get the fee waived. If it's free, it's ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT to submit. IF they want you to pay $30, weigh it out and decide for yourself.

Since we're bragging, I'm off to ship my 35mm neg to be developed at Crest National from the feature film shoot Saturday. We only have a $75,000 budget. Are we trying to prove why people should listen to you over me? Your budget is $25,000 more than mine and known producers are working on it, so maybe they better not listen to me. : )

- to all the peanut gallery reading - decide for youself if it's worth $30, or better yet - email them and try to get the fee waived. If it's free, then SEND IT TO THEM. SEND YOUR SHORT FILM TO ANYONE WHO WILL PLAY IT. Get your movies seen. What good is your story to tell if no one can hear it? I'm a nobody, no budget filmmaker myself. Listen to your heart, and you'll never go too far astray.

Now I can tell you're out of your element because you're resorting to calling me a liar and you're just getting defensive...but if you'd like, here's the list of those that ask for fees of some kind prior to your program being aired. If you'd like, I could submit some of your work for you and have the fee waived, but in case you're just too damned lazy to email them again, assume that I'd be willing to help you even if your head is jammed into your exit-only orifice.

1. <B>Vegas Indies.</B> They DO still charge a fee and then they rape you for 12 months with the right to re-air your work without your consent according to their legal agreement. They accept nearly anything which is good, but their air very little of it, and most of what I've seen recorded from the air-check is like a cable access program...which leads me back to the question, How does this benefit a filmmaker? If no one watches the network, and they don't acording to their own advertising numbers, how can anyone expect to be heard?

2. <B>Moviola.</B> They DO charge a fee, while it's not called an admission fee, it is a legal charge if they deem it necessary...and according to the person who replied to my email, that's about 50% of the time. You get better odds at craps. And speaking of craps, those guys treated me like crap when I "applied". "Your film is too this, it's too that...". It's a miracle that anyone gets their story told. If you got a call from them, it was obviously due to lack of applicants willing to be blindsided.

3. <B>IFC.</B> Yep, that's right. Unless they want to commission your work, you have to buy space just like and advertiser. Believe me, they only commission the top of the heap so that leave out most of us. And unless you've got a few G's to drop on space, I'd suggest that you look at other big names....like New Screen. All rights are signed over the IFC for 6 months for multipole reairings at their whim even if you aren't commisioned...which means that you don't own your film for 6 months...which means YOU can't amke any money.

4. <B>Tight Shorts.</B> It's not even a network by the way. It's a UCLA student run televised film festival with awards and judging and the like. They broadcast three times a week and are in jeopardy of loosing their funding according to their plea for donations. When you apply for space you're told that the waiting list is over 6 months long and that you can be moved forward if you make a "donation". Interesting tactic.

5. <B>TV Village.</B> While not much of a venue for worthwhile and valuable work, they do still ask for a "donation" for any work accepted. If you don't offer a reasonable "donation" you can bet your sweet ass that your flick will NEVER see the light of day.

Now, I could go through each of those you listed, but most of them are trite, crap-like TV shows where a pseudo-critic sits and reviews films judgmentally in an effort of put a spin on the work. But if that's your thing, go ahead and belly-up. I prefer the chance to make distributable films after I'm done "playing filmmaker".

I've stood back and watched you go from freebie-loving fan to the pitch man for everything BUT this new network, so from where I stand, you're simply causing ripples in a pond that is too small for your talent. Since you're work is so well received, and you're getting such high marks for your investments elsewhere, perhaps you could offer a two time Emmy winning producer a few words of advice? Maybe you'd like to call up Mitch DelReggio at HBO and get your work showcased on their "Show Me Your Shorts" program? 'd love to do that, but with over 41 million invested in moviemaking and years that I can't even begin to put a dollar sign with, I think that i've been there and done that one too many times to be taking words from a video-maker who's ideal world has FREE entry to everything and no one can support themselves, the artists and the community in which they build. You can't have it all.

And for the record, I've seen most of the work you offer on your site, and if that's your earmark for work, you SHOULD be looking for FREE submissions. If you're asked to pay to enter those, you should raise hell and plant your flag out in front of their office. Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya...and all of that. Not that they're any better or worse than anything else I've seen...just that they were obviously, almost paifully student-level films. To spend while at this stage in your respective career WOULD be a mistake.

And since we're bragging, I'm off to once again shoot a TV spot for Dell as the DP with a few guys from Troika Design in tow. That spot has a budget of $50k...and it comes with FREE Kool-Aid. Beat THAT.

Finally, if ANYONE has spent the time to read this entire novel on whether or not your work is worthy of an investment of time, money or blood, sweat and tears for that matter...then you're missing life as it goes past. Go outside and get some air. Submit your work and be seen, be heard, maybe be discovered. If not with New Screen...then where ever you deem the RIGHT place for your work. Obviously, not everyone will get aired everywhere the send thier work, but I can almost guarantee that if you're an interested filmmaker with a good picture or two, you're going to be seen at New Screen...but not if you bitch about entering until you're too old to even gain from it...

Keep the faith and press forward with your art.

MM

MM, we have a difference of opinion, you're the only one making it personal. If you feel the need to rip on my movies, feel free. I can handle any kind of harsh critique you've got. Boo Hoo, another anonymous poster thinks I'm painfully at the student film level.

munkittrick said:
Now I can tell you're out of your element because you're resorting to calling me a liar

But you're saying things that aren't true. I never said "liar liar pants on fire". I said there were statements that were not true, which they are not. If you want to interpret that as an insult, that's you're problem.

Honestly - IFC Canda never charged me anything at any point, Movieola PAYS my distributor, not charges, and Vegas Indies (again) has a post asking for free submissions.

What I said was - if they waive the fee, anyone SHOULD submit to NEW SCREEN. I don't think that's ousting anyone. That's basically what you're saying too.

Whoopee you've got experience. Obviously more than me. I never attacked you personally. You stated what are obvious innaccuracies and false statements. These are people and venues I have personal experience with. Do you? I can cite dates, examples, contracts and contacts. Can you?

I don't really care what you do, or what experience you have. That doesn't validate insults. You've been derogatory towards several companies, networks, and people who I work with and have good standing relations. Have you ever actually worked with any of the people you are insulting? Because I HAVE.

Now, you go on to rip apart all competing venues to New Screen, and feel the need to belittle my films. Okay go ahead and rip on me. I'll take the constructive parts and deal with it, but being nasty about every venue is just immature and uprofessional.

Yes, I'll be the pitchman to TV shows that pay for my short films or even just put them out there for people to see. Is that any different than you?

HBO only accepts 35mm films that have made no prior broadcast or even Internet play, at least according to Jonathan Nash at Big Film Shorts. I did not speak with them directly.

If anyone takes the time to read all this, there is a lot of valuable information in here too. Just read between the B.S., of which there is much.

I guess if you wanted this to be just an advertisement and without comment of different points of view, might I suggest a BANNER ad next time. I sitll don't see $30 worth in anything you've stated, nor do I find this network any more promising than IFC, Sundance, Movieola, or anyone else. At least the others are already broadcasting, and they don't charge $30, regardless of what you claim.

Ok guys, play nice. It's good to talk but remember that this is a forum for constructive talk :) I'm not a great fan of people hurling insults at each other!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back