• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Tripod recommendations please

Hi Guys

So I need to get a good tripod for small prosumer-cameras, with the emphasis on stability, smooth pan and tilt motions -- but, and here's the kicker -- I've only got $200-$250 in the budget to play with. (Which would have to include shipping)

Any recommendations -- problem is I've only ever used Vitens and Libecs (which I currently can't afford) -- so I'm short on knowledge.

Plus if anyone knows a great place to pick up cheap tripods in the UK -- that would be a bonus.

My Davis and Sanford Provista 75 is in that price range. It has given me good service, but I hesitate to recommend it, since I have nothing else in that price range with which to compare. It could be better or worse than similar models. The fluid head is not foolproof, but again, I'm not sure if any head in that pricerange is much better.

When I was looking for a decent tripod for under $300, the Provista seemed like a good value, compared to more expensive models with similar features. I'm not sure if the Provista 75 is still available, but Davis and Sanford may have something comparable. Please research whatever models you find. Don't put too much weight on my recommendation. It's the best tripod I own, and I've used it a lot, but I do everything on a rather limited budget.

Doug

Since we're on this topic. Does the Bogen head make it impossible to jerk the camera; lets say when you're starting a pan. I get smooth motion out of my D&S, once the pan has started. At the beginning of the pan, I get a shutter, if I'm not paying attention. I've looked for anything that might be loose, and everything appears to be properly assembled. I've pretty much got it down now, but I'd like to know if I'm expecting too much?

Thanks guys -- I'll look at the Bogen Heads - sticks are easy.

But I think I've found a set of Giotto sticks with a good head in my price range. I'm just trying do some research into Giotto now! LOL

We recently tested a Miller Tripod at work and it was very nice. I think we might get one, the only drawback is speed of setup. Of course, for ENG this is a big drawback. But for what you're looking for I think it would work well.

Whatever you do, don't get a Sachtler head -- it'll break constantly.

Poke

Thanks Guys

I've gone for the Giotto -- it's being delivered today -- for the money I had to spend it seemed to be the best option.

I'll let you know how it is when it arrives later.

The info you've all given hasn't been wasted though -- I'll be upgrading my tri-pod as soon as I can afford to -- and the Miller looks like excactly what I've been looking for.

Back