Is is pointless to shoot with a one chip cheapo digital 8?

We are faced with the almighty $$ problem. We have a script we feel is worth shooting and getting out there to festivals. We have three digital cameras but they are sony digital 8's. We plan on making sure we have great mics to ensure the sound is good. We were hoping that the story would be good enough that people would say wow that was cool! Is it pointless to shoot with these cameras and should we put it off until who knows when and get a GL2 or pd150, etc. Or would it even stand a chance of being appreciated with cheaper cameras?

Re: Is is pointless to shoot with a one chip cheapo digital

A Tiburon said:
We are faced with the almighty $$ problem. We have a script we feel is worth shooting and getting out there to festivals. We have three digital cameras but they are sony digital 8's. We plan on making sure we have great mics to ensure the sound is good. We were hoping that the story would be good enough that people would say wow that was cool! Is it pointless to shoot with these cameras and should we put it off until who knows when and get a GL2 or pd150, etc. Or would it even stand a chance of being appreciated with cheaper cameras?

Why don't you rent, or hire a DP with camera?

:)

I'd say it isn't pointless at all. If every indie filmmaker waited around to get the ideal equipment we'd never get any interesting films made.

I'm kind of having a similar situation myself. I am wondering if I should go ahead with plans for a feature next winter with the XL1 I currently have at my disposal or if I should postpone and try to get a DVX 1000. I am leaning towards the XL1 because I believe in the story that much.

I say if you think your story is worth it, shoot it on a VHS recorder from 1985; because no matter what anyone tells you, people will watch a poorly shot movie if the story connects with them.

Poke

I'm shooting with a 5(?+) year old 1 chip 480k CCD Sharp Viewcam, capturing with a VIVO card, and editing on a 1.3Ghz Athlon Thunderbird/512MB machine. It will look pretty crappy compared to film, it will be edited with nice transitions and as clean as I can make it but its not like people are going to look at the video quality and say "whoa, that looks like film!". But thats not the point, anyone can go and rent a s35 camera and buy some stock and get the lighting right to make it look good, but good cinema can be shot with webcams and are more watchable than the s35 stuff IF THE STORY IS GOOD.

To me, making the DV and putting it up against the others at our local festival is enough for me to take the risk of it looking like crap, because I know someday that I will have a budget at my disposal to get the better equipment, but will I use it to make pretentious fluff that nobody watches or good quality storytelling like I've done with the MiniDV? Thats why Im shooting with MiniDV, to learn. It probably wont go to the other festivals unless it wins the first one in which case it is getting reedited anyway. Besides, since I already own the camera and various equipment it needs, why pay a lot of money for celluloid when I can make my 8 minute sweeping story for $250, most of which is going to buy food for the cast and crew and stock?

The point being if you are trying to learn how to make your films and you have a good script to shoot, go for it. If you are done learning and ready to take something to Sundance or seek distrobution, you'll want to look into getting a 24p camera at the least or a 16 or 35 camera at the best. But don't for a moment confuse the two, You're not going to make an epic on a D8 and have it turn into wide release next year. Even given that very unlikely scenario your video and audio will have to be remastered.

WideShot, who makes the shotgun mic you have and where did you purchase it? I have been looking around at the "cheap" shotgun market and have yet to decide upon the best choice.

Back