Starts filming today

Hey guys,

I'm about less then an hour away from shooting my next film. It's entitled Codename and is a spy/thriller type of film. I'll be sure to snap some pics and post them when filming wraps tonight. :wink:

It's a short. Filming tonight went very good. Here are a few pics for you guys. :)

CN.jpg
Josh Holiday and Cassandra Keenum.

JH.jpg

Our main male actor for Codename, Josh Holiday.

CK.jpg

Our female lead is played by, Cassandra Keenum.

set.jpg

Camera Man Dan Phillips reviews the last shot, while Josh and Cassandra go over the next set of lines.

kongattack.jpg

King Kong ATTACKS SET! Josh, Me, Kong and Cassandra.

gotya.jpg

Got to have some fun on a serious thiller set! :D

Looks like you've been hard at work!

Looking forward to seeing the final product in the Screening Room. \:D/

Yeah we have all been working hard on this one. We had about 3 months of pre and now are going fully into production. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

Here is an update on the film-

Just contacted a local Ramada Inn about filming inside lobby and hall way scenes there. They agreed! :D This is very good news....and I can't wait to start filming there. The only thing is we have to come in after midnight, but that's no trouble I'm a nighthawk. :lol:

So this Friday we will be filming. Here is a pic of the outside of the hotel. I'll be sure not to get any of there signs in frame.(copyrights)

01281_b1.jpg

To Hailtotheking,

That's really cool what you guys are doing, but there is one question I
would like to ask? Are you doing this just for fun or are you trying to get someone to notice you guys(Industry People)?
And the reason I'm asking this is because I saw a closeup of your actors
and they don't have any make-up on and you can see all the imperfections in their skin now if that is what you're trying to accomplish
a gritty nine-to- five work looking texture than that's fine.
And if those photo's were before the shoot and you guys were'nt in make-up yet than I withdraw my question and hope you guys have lots of fun.
And I'm not trying to be insulting just helpful I've been doing this now for 8yrs professionally and appearance is critical in this business.
So just remember if you want to try and take this in front of someone be
it a Festivals,Investors or Distributors they're going to inspect every little detail so prepare a head of time your work.
Best of luck to you guys.

Director1

We are doing this for fun and to show some people. This right now that we are filming is a "test film" for the full short that will be shot on Super 8mm film after this is done.

I thought if we shot this "digital" version first, rough cut it together and see what works and doesn't then we should make a fantastic short on Super8. (Instend of wasting the budget on Super8 film now)

With Digital tape it's much easier to mess up and go on, but with Super8 once you turn that camera on till it goes off, it's there forever. :) In this film we aren't worrying much about makeup and such because this is just a test. This is just to see how the pacing, acting, angles are, ect.

Don't worry we'll make ourselves look real pretty O:) when it comes time to filming the Super8 version. :D

Hey, That's cool and I don't blame for testing out your project first.
Now do you have place to get your super8mm film from and processed?
Because I found a very good place I send my footage to that's in Montreal,Canada and they are very reasonable.
Because I also shoot on super8mm and it's still the trend for many artist in Europe that are on a tight or next to no budget.
Over there a lot of Indie music artist still use it to shoot music videos to add a certain artzy style to the videos.
Check this out some super8mm shooters over in the UK can charge up to $3.500 per day to shoot music videos.
I think I better move to the UK since I have a lot of super 8mm cameras
that I bought awhile back.
Plus I'll be adding super8 and DV footage to a weird project that I'll be shooting next year.
Again good luck and keep us posted.

Director1

Yeah, congrats on the shoot. Probablly a good idea, doing a rough version first. Its like a video storyboard that your talent can go by. A very good way of finding what works, and what dosent. While your experimenting though....
...might I suggest some lighting. Learn how to light. Apply film lighting styles to DV. Since this is just a test, dont waste it. If play with the lighting between takes. If, in the end, it dosent match other stuff in the scene, who cares, it was a test, right? Try it out, experiment with silouhette, back lighting, edge lighting, shadowing, painting with light, ect... Try to justify every light source for realisim. That window WAY on the other sie of the room, pretend light from the moon is coming in through that, and get a light blue edge on your actors. Mess with it, have fun. Lighting can make, or break a production These pics...
2035910_zoom.jpg

2035920_zoom.jpg

are from my last short, "Intersection" These were shot on MiniDV, with an XL1. No filters, no lens attatchments, no post tweaking. his is what they looked like off the tape, because I took my time, and light well. These are just some work lamps, and gels, not even a fancy light kit (if you want a fairly in expensive light setup suggestion, just e-mail me) Light well my friend, and you film will stand out. Good luck, and keep us posted.
R. Michael McWhorter
www.tizzyentertainment.8m.com
www.tizzystoryboardartist.8m.com

I just got done shooting you an email Michael. :)

Director1-Yes I have someone I can get stock from and processing done at. Thanks for the info though. ;)

Back