MPEG2 troubles

I've been making DVD's for 6 years now. I've never had it this bad. I have an UNCOMPRESSED (compressor: None) Quicktime MOV, with the audio as a seperate WAVE file. It's a 29.97 Fps video & 48Khz uncompressed audio. It's a 180 Gig file from digibeta.

I have Windows XP with service pack 2 installed. First I try using Adobe Premiere 6.5 and ther ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER to make the MPEG2 files for DVD, but it's jittery, as in the fields are in the wrong order, but reversing them or choosing "no fields" still get the same results - jittery motion in the video.

I can't even get the damn file to import into Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1, and when I make a video that works, the ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER from there does the same thing. There's no MPEG2 export from Avid Xpress Pro (thus making the "pro" part a joke).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Converting through every means I have from UNCOMPRESSED Quicktime to an UNCOMPRESSED AVI have resulted in quality loss & the MPEG2 looks the same as the DVCAM one I did before. The MPEG2's straight from the quicktime look freakin AMAZING, except the jittery nature. THe stills and frame by frame look better than my original telecine to DVCAM.

So the original capture is fine? a 180gig file?

What drive is the 180gig file on?
What drive is the new version going to?

How much RAM do you have?

I'm wondering if the sync is not flowing right. What is your pagefile size set at?

Have you tried either Cinema Craft Encoder or TMpegEnc? I've never had problems with either.. from ANY format.

You also might want to look at virtualdub for converting from mov to avi if that's the route you decide to go, there shouldn't be any quality loss with it, and it's freeware.

Back