Please Watch My Movie

Okay here comes the rant...

Or maybe not.

First let me start off by saying I love this board, I have learned a lot and I respect many of you here, your insight has stimulated and intrigued me.

With that said, why hasn't anyone watched my film? I know that it isn't a short and you can't download it. I understand that it would cost at least $13.00 plus dollars to buy it from Amazon or almost five to rent it, but it is a chance to gather information for your future projects and heck I am a filmmaker I need feedback like everybody else.

I hope this post isn't offensive to anyone; I just needed to let it out. I am merely seeking the input of my peers.

Peace,
Redemption

Most of us have no money and when it comes to buying a film based on a trailer, you are entering an arena where there is a lot of competition.

For me, I have two DVD's I want to buy this month more than I want to buy yours. I've entered your film into my brain catalog of films I'd like to buy, but its not a "must buy" over a film like Punch Drunk Love. Sorry.

You might want to try a more pro-active form of online promotion like posting at IMDB or xixax or similar websites that claim over 5k members. This one only has 1300 members that are more focused to buying/promoting/learning about how to make their own films, and are not coming here to add to their most-buy list.

We're all very proud of your accomplishments for yourself and what it means for the indie community but when it comes down to paying the rent, buying groceries, paying cell phones and utilities, buying a DVD from just watching a trailer over the net seems like an expense I need to justify after I buy the other DVD's I haven't bought for months because I've been so focused paying so I can live.

It looks like a good story and a good film, and I might buy it this month or perhaps next month.

Hopefully that explains a little. And why isn't your distributer helping you to sell this more?

UK

Has your film got UK distribution?

If not, I promise to pick up a copy next time I'm in LA, probably sometime in May.

Heck, I am really here to learn and grow. I promote elsewhere, and I am on IMDB and some other sites.

As I think I have said before I don't want anyone not to eat or pay his or her bills to buy it, it is available for rental. I am struggling to pay the bills myself. But in the same vein, I believe in supporting other artists in their work.

If you can't get your peers to watch it who will.

At this stage in the game I am even willing to send a copy out to someone. Mainly because I was taught by others that shared knowledge freely. But of course I saw their work so we could have a discussion.

Maybe I am asking for too much, as I said it wouldn’t keep me from sharing here what I have learned..

It's not for capital gain as much as discussion and feedback. And if you don't think I am sincere, tell me to go screw myself.

And Wideshot I believe you responded to my post that was similar to this before and I appreciate it, and the compliments on the trailer,

And this will be as I promised the last you will hear of this, until my next film Ha Ha.

Peace,
SAR

Redemption the movie!

Redemption! Hows it going. I'll pick up your film from amazon.com next time I pass it by ;) Really interested in seeing it! will watch it and give you feedback!

What's your latest project? and if you've got one how is it going?

Radical!

Thanks SR, I appreciate the support.

I am still looking over ideas and writing outlines. The one idea that seems to keep popping up is a complete departure from "Redemption", it's loosely based on "Cat on A Hot Tin Roof", modernized and dealing with a black upper middle class family. Come to think of it it's not that far from "Redemption". It would deal with the entire family and might possibly have shades of "The Godfather". They would be involved in the criminal underworld somehow, but working to become legit.

Well, I should be getting it from Netflix in the next few days. It better be good, cause I replaced one of my wife's picks to get it to me faster.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. -- Every Married Man That Ever Lived

Poke

I guess it better, hell have, well I don't have a wife so I don't really know.

Thanks guys. Now we will see how thick my skin is!

SAR

Redemption DVD ordered, expecting it in the next 3-4 days. God Bless the multi region DVD player.

Once I've seen it myself, I'll pass it round the community here.

In the interest of fairness and discussion I am dropping this link into this thread. To be honest I am not sure if I would have posted this link if I had been torched as a director, but I don't have to worry about it.

In fairness to the screenplay I did write the first draft, and felt it was something I could not shoot and then I received the help of Hunter Dennis. And at the time of shooting I felt I could make the screenplay work. So as a Director/Producer I am just as responsible for the screenplay.

Receiving a 76 out of 100 for my first feature is not too shabby, I wish I could have done as well in school.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/redemption.php

Peace,
Redemption

'creating a living, breathing human from the ashes of Dennis' script.'

That was a pretty harsh statement.

I think the review had some merit but I wouldn't have gone that far with it.

You're right about 76 being a decent score for a first film...hope I'm able to get close to that when I'm reviewed in the future (if of course I even get to that position).

I agree with his assessment of your talent as a director though.

Rent this video y'all.

Martin

Thanks Martay!

I wrote the "Judge" and he even said that he might have been too harsh;

"Thinking about it now, I was too hard on the
screenplay. I still think it's too predictable for
its' own good, but it had ambition and intelligence."

But in the end I am just happy to get some feedback on the film.

Peace,
Redemption

Just opinions

About three years ago I had the same project out to funding with two different funding bodies. On the same day I got two letters back, both contained script reports. The first one said that the script was well written, highly original and one of the best first drafts they'd seen in many years. The second letter said that the script was by far the worst piece of *%™! they'd seen in years.

If that taught me anything, it is that expert opinions are still just opinions and that if you show something to enough people you are bound to find someone who hates it, someone who loves it and some people who don't have any feelings about it at all.

I know that how I feel about anything, depends on how much sleep I got the night before, whether I've had coffee yet and the general state of my relationship with the love of my life (It's not myself, that's just an ugly rumour spread by those jealous of my dashing good looks).

I think what I'm trying to say is, don't read too much into any negative comments, the reviewer probably in need of a good cup of coffee and what ever his significant other does best for him.

Of course, if they say good things, it just means that they are right and thinking clearly.

As always Clive lays some good old fashioned common sense on the situation.

At this stage of the game as you can imagine I have heard a lot of different things about the film. Certain things I have heard over and over again and some of them are new, usually I take everything with a grain of salt.

The one thing I can add is that if you hear the same thing from different people it is usually true. If you have the interest you can look at the reviews on Amazon and the others I have posted and you can find some things repeating. I will leave that to you guys. Have fun on me.

Peace,
Redemption

This is an interesting thing for me to comment on, because I have recieved the movie from Netflix, and after watching it I plan on reviewing the film for another site I'm involved with (look down below). I do however want to say that it is a difficult thing to deal with a critique of your work, especially when it is bad. Also, it's hard for indie filmmakers who have to self promote like you Redemp. Because you have to be aware of the reviews and what they say in order to help sell your film. If you were a big budget director you wouldn't concern yourself with the petty things that movie critics say; in fact, you'd probably never hear or read them.

Of course, it's like Clive said, a lot of how we view and interpret movies depends on the state of mind we are in during the viewing. That's not to say that a movie like Just Married isn't crappy just because I was grumpy when I saw it, but it does mean that a critic can be wrong, even one as brilliant as I.

Poke

Redemption said:
Thanks Martay!

I wrote the "Judge" and he even said that he might have been too harsh;

"Thinking about it now, I was too hard on the
screenplay. I still think it's too predictable for
its' own good, but it had ambition and intelligence."

But in the end I am just happy to get some feedback on the film.

Peace,
Redemption

Tell him to print that as a retraction :)

When it's all said and done I at least he got my name right, this site credit's someone else with directing the film...

http://www.futureent.com/dvd/details.php?id=13930

But seriously it's the old adage be careful what you wish for. In the end you either develop a tough skin or you don't. I make films to share them and with that comes criticism. It's part of the game and I expect it, even embrace it.

Peace,
Redemption

Back