Music Videos?

I was just wondering if anyone is interested in doing Music Videos. I love music videos that are done well and would like to see them if you've made 'em. It doesn't seem like too many people are interested in this anymore...thanks alot MTV!

Music Video? I love music videos! Atmosphere, rhythm, and narrative all combined into one - radical! In fact I've got a music video shoot coming up for a british band 'Kalimoto'.

Kalimoto Band

Well what ever I can do within the budget they provide really. Would like to do some blue screen with some interesting back drops. But it's all got to be fairly low budget.
The song is crying out for some narrative in there! So it' going to be interesting! But what ever I do I want to try and break away from convention - I hate convention.

Re: Kalimoto Band

What kind of music are they? Do they lend themselves to be "non-conventional?" I think it's hard to come up with a dynamic idea for a video when the band is plain and have no character.

Over compensation - a common problem with men.

Nothing personal - I didn’t like it.

Goat - I would like to make a music video, but I think the markets are rather limited versus other genres.

In response to mr commandergoat - They're a british rock band, but they recently got signed out in america with some record label or another. They are verging on the non-convnetional ;)

my music video

I did a music video for a couple of friends last spring. I think it turned out pretty good, esp. since the total budget was $5 (one dv tape). The band really liked it, but ended up getting cold feet about their music, and won't let it be seen anywhere. They're talking about "someday they want to take the music industry by storm", but aren't ready for it yet. So alot of work and literally absolutly nothing to show for it. I guess next time I'll make sure that the band won't wuss out after I'm finished. I did learn quite a bit doing it though. I guess I just don't understand making films/music only to keep it locked up under your bed. Isn't the point of art to share it with others? I do want to do more music videos, its a fun break from "regular narrative" film.

Derek Rimelspach

Re: my music video

slmfilms said:
I guess I just don't understand making films/music only to keep it locked up under your bed. Isn't the point of art to share it with others?

Eh. I have stuff I'm too embarrassed to show anyone. I consider it done only as a learning experience. One of the most painful and awkward feelings in the world is to be in the same room with someone as they watch your film. I can't stand it.

Here a good website from a good music video director Ruben Fleischer

http://www.ruben.fm/videos.html

Charge the paddles, we're gonna try and revive this one...

film8ker said:
Nothing personal - I didn’t like it.

What didn't you like about it? The music? The footage used? How it was presented? In defense of the creator, he was forced to use footage shot by other people. IMO, he did the best w/ what he was given.

Betamax: I couldn't get either of those links to load. :grumpy:

slmfilms: The musicians own the music. If you shot the footage you'd own that (unless it was agreed upon elsewhere). Or am I just wrong in thinking that?

CommanderGoat said:
Here a good website from a good music video director Ruben Fleischer
http://www.ruben.fm/videos.html

My favorites (the songs at least) were:
wiley - who ate all the pies
electric six - dance commander

I have an idea for a music video. I'm not sure if I can pull it off. And the band, while cool, is kinda flakey w/ their many relationships, so who knows... :no: <------ looking for the person that knows. Go ahead, raise your hand.

Last edited:
Back