I've decided to make my first documentary

Hello everyone,

I've been using IndieTalk for many years now. I don't post too much on here, and usually only in the screenwriting sub-forum, since that's where my background is in film. I have a very good understanding of the craft and what it takes to tell a good story, but alas, my heart has wandered over the past year, and now a new project consumes my desire.

This documentary started out as a small personal project, just me putting together clips on my home p/c on Adobe Premiere Pro. From there it grew until I wanted to tell a story. I have access to a recording studio, and ... well ... I have a great voice too (I used to be a radio broadcaster). So from there I decided I wanted to record V/O narration and really start to put together a story the way I wanted to tell it. My documentary was born.

Unfortunately :( my ambitions have only grown over time, and now I'm not sure if I can accomplish my vision for this project all on my own. I've vacillated on whether I should persevere and realize this project solo, or whether I should try and work with other people and really make a movie. I am pretty committed to somehow someway making this film one way or another, but I'd like for it to be made with the quality that it deserves.

-----------------------------

Here's where I'm at right now:
(and where should I go from here?)

This story is a biography. The subject is a famous person, but there have never been any feature length documentaries made about this person. I have put in hundreds if not thousands of hours of research and amassed a large collection of media clips, interviews, and the like. Ideally, I'd like to shoot my own footage and license other stuff I want to use (probably going to be expensive). I have a very strong and compelling outline, an outstanding and interesting main character, and a creative vision for telling my story. I absolutely want this particular story to be my first film. I'm just wondering what steps should I take to make it happen? Who should I start contacting? How to go about pitching, fundraising, reaching out to fellow filmmakers who might be interested in working on the project, etc?

For instance, there is a creative person close to my subject. I have considered writing this person and trying to meet with them to pitch my vision for the film. Is that a good idea?

If someone (like me) has decided to make their first documentary, without prior directing or production experience, but with a very clear vision of what they want to do and how they want to accomplish it, where should I go from here?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Hi, I am writing the script of my documentary, and due to its budget (~$5k) it will be a one man project, this is going to be my first, and hopefully not the last, experience with documentaries, I don't have any prior experience, and learning is challenging but rewarding as well.

My documentary is going to be experimental, meaning that it wont be the average style as those you can find on BBC or PBS so it is probably going to be very different from the one you are making but if as me you don't have much money to spend maybe my suggestions can be useful.

- Script around your budget (if you live in LA and don't have the money to film in NY, film something else around your area)

- If you fly plan in advance your movement (tickets are cheaper) and carry only essential equipment

- Audio is more important than video, a poor video can always be labeled as "artistic choice", a bad audio will always be amateur

- Be aware of copyright infringement in your documentary

- If you don't have money to buy the rights for the clips you have put in your documentary then don't put them (unless you have money for lawyers and risk by using the "fair use" concept)

Hope it helps :)

Back