cant play live music to video, to much CPU

I just recently started scoring my first independent film and am having a lot of trouble with my cpu resources. The problem is when I play the video in my audio sequencer it takes up so much resources that my instruments that are all VSTs stop working correctly. Right now I'm using cubase sx 2. I think I have two option: 1. Thinking I may have to do some kind of syncing with my other computer. Main computer does all the composing and music, the other just plays the video. 2. Upgrade Upgrade Upgrade. I am running a athlon xp 2700(2ghz) with 2 gigs of ram and a 256mb ddr graphics card. The most my motherboard can support is an athlonx xp 3200(2.2ghz) . Will I need a new motherboard to get a better processor. Hopefully I am doing something wrong or there is something I'm missing. I'm very new to the video side of things. Thanks for reading :yes:

Now that you have mentioned option 1, I don't have to mention it... I've done that before and it works.

What else do you have open? It should just be Cubase. No IMs, No webpages, no nothing. Just run Cubase and see if that works. Then, if it does, load something to play the video.

If it's an MOV:
I've always had problems playing MOV's with quicktime, it hoses the machine. I play them in a Firefox browser. Probably because I'm on a PC... I don't know.

'sup, good Skankis :cool:

I have not even heard of Cubase, so I won't comment on that. I have used Adobe Audition though, which sounds like it may be similar.

My editing computer is an Athlon (like yours), and a whisker faster. Same RAM. Half your vid-card.

You should be doing okay.

_______

Are you running everything (including a/v material) off the main C: drive?

Have you considered using half/quarter sized (or lo-res) video to sync to? (Not just scaled down in a viewer)

Defrag daily?

Are your drive(s) 7200rpm or better?

The big crunch happens when video is involved. Comparatively, audio file resources are nothing.

_______

A few ideas, anyway.

Thanks guys

I will try playing the video from a different hard drive and see if that works. It is happening with a few different formats but it I did happen to start noticing it with the .mov format. Cubase would run totally fine with all kinds of software synthesizers running with it and playing live music. Just when I add the video it is hogging resources. Any suggestions on maybe just using two computers and syncing them so they start and stop at the same time when I am viewing the movie?

skankis said:
I just recently started scoring my first independent film and am having a lot of trouble with my cpu resources. The problem is when I play the video in my audio sequencer it takes up so much resources that my instruments that are all VSTs stop working correctly. Right now I'm using cubase sx 2. I think I have two option: 1. Thinking I may have to do some kind of syncing with my other computer. Main computer does all the composing and music, the other just plays the video. 2. Upgrade Upgrade Upgrade. I am running a athlon xp 2700(2ghz) with 2 gigs of ram and a 256mb ddr graphics card. The most my motherboard can support is an athlonx xp 3200(2.2ghz) . Will I need a new motherboard to get a better processor. Hopefully I am doing something wrong or there is something I'm missing. I'm very new to the video side of things. Thanks for reading :yes:

I have the same problem with a cheesey setup. I have a roland D-5 using an analog 1/8th inch jack into the computers line in, and when I try layering my sounds to make a song, it gets all weird and choppy. I miss my old midi sequencer that I purchased 17 years ago. at least it wasnt choppy and would have recorded it fine in vegas or sonic.

But you sound like you're doing it digitially.

May I make a suggestion, Go get a box called MIDI buddy (Im pretty sure thats it). It cost me like 50 bucks and will record the midi keys for you. Of course, you have to have an awesome soundcard with cool audio patches to have anything decent come out. The sound patches of course wont work on your keyboard.

Awesome. I'll go check that out. I pretty much got the video thing covered. I switched to nuendo and convert all my movies to .avi and I also said bye bye to virtual memory. Right now I'm in the business for a new soundcard though so my VST instruments will have better latency. Especially symphonic orchestra. That one likes to eat a lot of resources and can get a little laggy when all the orchestral pieces are loaded into memory. My current audiophile 2496 has done a good job, but I think its time to upgrade.

Back