Directing style and/or styles

Hi, I direct my own films and have had positive reaction to my directing, but was wondering if Im a little too...hands-off. I generally give the actors the idea/tone/direction of the script and take what they give me--which has been fine so far. I'd like to try new styles though--any suggestions? What's your directing style? Are you laissez-faire or a martinet? How do you tell actors what you want? Any recommendations on books to read?

Let's all share :shock:

Directorial Style

My favorite part of the process is working with actors, and it's my real directorial strength.

The truth is actors work better with good guidence. The way that is delivered will vary from actor to actor. On my last film I had one actor who just like direction in the form, "could you just walk over there a bit faster please" and another actor who needed to go into the motivation of the character, the emotional dynamics of the scene. Being a good director is about being able to understand the acting process and actors well enough to be work with both comfortably rather than imposing a directorial style..

What I look for when watching the line-up, are actors who don't understand what they are doing or saying. It's fairly easy to spot, because the performance just doesn't ring true. I will then take the actor to one side and talk to them about that part of the scene.

Personally, I think there is nothing to be gained from being hard on the actors. this is a creative process where support and encouragement is needed.

I always give notes to actors as individuals, away from the rest of the cast and crew. People can't listen to criticism (even constructive) if you do it in front of their peers. I also sandwich any negative points in with a few good points, such as " I really liked the way you entered the scene, you looked really relaxed, just the way I imagined it, but I'm not sure about those first few lines ..." etc

I also try to give as many days rehearsal time as possible, doing my initial blocking of the scene, in the rehearsal rooms, with the actors, giving them time to work with the character. I'd then adjust my shooting of the scene to work with what blocks best for the actors.

I thnk of all the aspects of producing drama, this element is often the most over looked. There is a real craft on getting the best from actors and I believe that a good grounding in theatrical directing is always a good thing.

I really believe that if the performances are poor, only the director can be blamed, good direction can solve almost all performance problems.

The ones who DONT want to show off.
The ones who DONT put pauses into their lines.
The ones who DONT try to be "interesting".
The ones who ARENT self-conscious.
The ones who realize an actor DOESNT "become" the character.

Theyre the ones I look for. Can I name a single Holywood actor who fits that bill?
No.
Am I interested in Hollywood actors?
Hell no.

If their priority is "how they will look and how an audience will perceive them" - I'm not interested.

BLOODY SUNDAY by Paul Greengrass. He understands this. Watch the actors in that film.

The ones who DONT want to show off.
The ones who DONT put pauses into their lines.
The ones who DONT try to be "interesting".
The ones who ARENT self-conscious.
The ones who realize an actor DOESNT "become" the character.

When actors are nervous, they revert to the tricks that have got them through in the past. All of the above fall into that category.

An actor shows off, when they don't really have faith in their ability to play the part straight. They put pauses in the line, inappropriately, when they are struggling to find meaning in the line. They make an effort to manufacturer interest, when they are scared that the piece won't stand up without it. They become self conscious when they are unsure of their performance and they worry about becoming the character when they don't have a solid handle on that character.

All of these are "cries for help," and as directors our responsibility is to notice them and help guide the actor to a more comfortable performance.
If the actor is helped to the point where they feel good and comfortable with every line and all aspects of the story, then all of the above problems disappear.

I believe that given ANY Hollywood actor, regardless of how reprehensible you believe them to be, I could get performances out of them that would make your head spin. However, I make films because I love working with actors. I acknowledge that that is not true for everyone and that the world would be a boring place if we all thought the same.

I would, of course, love the opportunity to prove my point.

I have not directed, I have co-directed once on a six minute short. I see myself as producer and director, but as hiring a director to direct the actors when it comes to shooting the scene. I would interact with the actors beforehand over many days, speaking to them and emailing them indivually, telling them what I want in great detail. The director would direct the scene my way. His role will be solely to communicate with the actors when it comes to shooting.

I am an actor, and I know that I like a very specific director. It's not my film, it's theirs, and if I don't know that they are getting exactly what they want, then I'm not doing my job. Yes, I always have my own views of how the character should be played, but I prefer working closely with the director AND script writer about what they think. After all, actors are only tools. You don't look at a Van Gough and think "he must have had wonderful paint brushes!"

Back