What Can I Do?

• Thread starter HitTheMark Entertainment
  • Start date
H

HitTheMark Entertainment

I am working on a film project, my first real long feature film. I have worked on shorts and what not, but this one will be my ultimate. My master piece. The script is still in the works, but I have shown the idea to many and they have in turn loved it. Not liked it, loved it. It's a great film, though I am not really content on sharing it because my ideas have been stolen and profited on before.

I have no equipment, though I do have some hook ups because my family owns tv stations up and down CA. I know owners of many clubs [club scenes] hotel establishments, restaurants. Etc. So a budget to rent out these places are easy. I'm going to use Non-union actors and follow a method my Uncle did for his own movie.

This is my only problem: I have no money. If I were to put 150 from each paycheck, I wouldn't be able to do it still. I got a lot of people with experience who will work for free so it will be easy, though i do need money. And I have never seeked money before.

Do I take out a loan? I have no idea and I need ways to get that money. I'm not looking for investors, just, what have you done to fund your film? Thank you.

A.J.

HitTheMark Entertainment said:
I am working on a film project, my first real long feature film. I have worked on shorts and what not, but this one will be my ultimate. My master piece. The script is still in the works, but I have shown the idea to many and they have in turn loved it. Not liked it, loved it. It's a great film, though I am not really content on sharing it because my ideas have been stolen and profited on before.

Finish the script and register it. The script is the most important part of your film. Finish it. Register it. If its as good as you say it is and people really love it and aren't just waxing your car, then it deserves to be made. That last line is a good idea - I'd stick with going over your script with your immediate family for now until its registered.

I have no equipment, though I do have some hook ups because my family owns tv stations up and down CA. I know owners of many clubs [club scenes] hotel establishments, restaurants. Etc. So a budget to rent out these places are easy. I'm going to use Non-union actors and follow a method my Uncle did for his own movie.

And that sounds fantastic. You're very lucky to have access like that.

This is my only problem: I have no money. If I were to put 150 from each paycheck, I wouldn't be able to do it still. I got a lot of people with experience who will work for free so it will be easy, though i do need money. And I have never seeked money before.

Do I take out a loan? I have no idea and I need ways to get that money. I'm not looking for investors, just, what have you done to fund your film? Thank you.

A.J.

OK A.J. lets talk reality and practicality.

For simplicity sake I will assume you understand how budgets for film work - if you haven't seen how to do a budget there are several places on the net and a few good books that will show you.

You need to make a decision now -

1 - Am I going to make this film for 1k - 5k? You can probably save that. If you tailor the script to fit your budget, you can probably finish the whole thing including a little bit of marketing for $5k to $10k. But I can almost guarantee it won't be on film, it will be on DV because film is expensive to shoot.

2 - If there is no hope of making it on 1k - 5k, you need OPM, other people's money, and you are no different than 98% of the productions out there. But that shouldn't diffuse you. You just need to put together a package. I won't go into detail on how to do that, there are books that will (I constantly recommend Gregory Goodell's Independent Feature Film Production). But essentially, get your shorts on DVD or at least VHS (Did they win any awards? that would help), make your package with: script, budget, shot descriptions, shot schedule, casting needs, crew needs, equipment needs, location needs, storyboards or conceptual art, plot summary that sells the script, a query letter that entices whoever reads the package that they will want to read the summary, and then the summary should make them want to read the script. Make it clear and concise and complete and professional. Properly bind the script, make sure to figure meals into the budget, etc.

3 - It sounds like your family knows people whom have money. You can either hit them with the package and offer them producer credits and a percentage of the profits. Or, you need to get the package to an entertainment lawyer whom is willing to entertain you and can find money for you.

4 - If you go after OPM you can shoot on 16mm but you better know wtf you're doing or the people you're hiring better otherwise its going to get very expensive very fast.

There's the gist. If you wa nt OPM you either need to sell them directly and offer them something in return r you need to give the lawyer the authority to find it for you. Overall, the package has to be sellable enough in my opinion that it sells itself and anyone who steps within five feet of it is sucked into it. :lol:

WideShot your tips are always on target!

HitTheMark, there is something else you may consider. Define what FOR YOU means "to make a movie". Does it mean that you want to write it, produce it, or direct it? or all of the above?. If you goal is to have your idea and sp produced, then you need to focus on your sp. Have it covered. Then rewrite it 10 more times! That does not cost you much. Then, learn how to prepare a development package to present to small production companies. If the sp is unique and well written, a producer will see the value and will reach some agreement with you. There is only one place you need to spend money here: A lawyer so that you protect your interests.

However, if what you want is to make the film your self. That is, produce it and direct it. Then I suggest you spend several afternoons at the local BORDERS and read as much as you can about indi filmmaking. After the 4th book you will feel much more comfortable with the business aspect of the field.

By the way everyone... Why are new indi filmmakers obsessed with having their own equipment? Does it provide an 'I am a filmmaker' feeling?

Call me crazy but for me... directing a movie set gives me that feeling. Even when EVERY SINGLE PIECE of equipment on the set is RENTED!!!!!

If people spent the same about of energy on creating good development packages as they do on finding their own equipment, we would have thousands of more indi films being produced every year. hmm although that means more competition for us. So GO AHEAD GET YOUR OWN 35mm Panasonic CAMERA everyone!!!!!

take it with humor everyone and don't flame me.

Call me crazy but for me... directing a movie set gives me that feeling. Even when EVERY SINGLE PIECE of equipment on the set is RENTED!!!!!

Basically because we hate renting it. That's my only thing. Thank you for your info. It has all helped me think more.

Put together a business plan with synopsis (1 page tops), proposal, budget and marketing plan and start approaching people for money. If they see that you're passionate and have a plan, you should be able to raise some money. If you can't or don't want to do this, find a friend and/or partner who can do it. Not everyone is good at raising money. Make sure this person is trustworthy and shares your vision. Also, make sure you get everything in writing, even if this person is yoru best buddy who took a bullet in 'Nam for you. Money can make people do funny things.

Be realistic about what you can raise and tailer your script to fit the budget. You're a first time feature filmmaker with no track record, so you can't expect people to hand you hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to make the next Star Wars. Keep it simpe, elegant and as original as possible,

Scott

Good advise Scott,

However, please everyone keep in mind that film investing is a highly regulated enterprise if you live in the USA. The number one reason indi filmmakers get sued is not because the movie did not fulfill expectations and the investor lost money, but because of the manner in which the investor was approached was in violation of SEC and/or state laws. A long time associate of our company once told us jokingly: “educated investors always get their money back, either from the profits of the film or from the settlement against the producer – since almost all indi filmmakers unknowingly break the law when approaching investors. ”

This is, in my opinion, one of the top 10 errors Indi filmmakers make, and most likely one of the least discussed.

I say, if you are going to raise money consult an entertainment attorney before you ask anyone. Otherwise, you risk an early end to your career.

IMO
Cheers.

That's true and very good advice. The premise is that you have a solid package that an attorney will work for a percentage and help you set things up legally. It's not difficult by any means to set these limited partnerships and investment memorandums up but having an entertainment attorney helping will make things legal. Again though, I've seen, read, and heard stories of producers approaching respected attorneys in LA only to be immediately shot down because they left out part of the budget or because their package simply was not complete yet. So unless you reach the stage where you are 100% to get financing, I wouldn't bother approaching an entertainment attorney yet.

And yeah any time you deal in investments, it falls under the category of securities, so you best be on the up and up. The point to remember though is if you are 100% legal, and you never make a guarantee of success, you as a producer are never liable if a film does not make money. Thats part of what investing is - risk. The downside is that investor will probably never invest in your films again and your career could be hurt significantly.

Lawyer good, no lawyer bad

I've got to agree. Having a good lawyer on the project is essential. Not just for raising money, but to make sure every aspect of the film is done legally.

There have been any number of film makers over the years who have failed to get distribution, because at the point the distribution company expressed interest in the finished project, they were unable to provide evidence that they had complete and absolute ownership of the entire piece.

This means having valid contracts in place for all your performers/writer/crew/muscians, even if there is no money involved. No distribution company is going to take the risk on a project that may get wrapped up in expensive legal wrangles.

Organisations like PACT (Producers Alliance) give basic guidelines on stuff like this and even have template contracts, however, I'd always prefer to have specific contracts in place, that I can be sure are up to date with the current legal situation.

Back